Helical on Fletching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helical on Fletching

This is a spinoff of Junkers88 "good fletching tool" thread. In it it's asked "How much does the "helix" matter?". This is something I've wondered as well. I've read more helical will increase accuracy but will also slow the arrow down.

In my unscientific/amateur testing, I've found no increase in accuracy (not saying much with my shooting), does seem to slow the arrow down, and can definitely tell an increase in noise.

My testing consist of 3 GT 7595 already fletched out of box, and 2 GT 600. The 7595s fletching is not straight but seemingly does not have much twist. The two 600's I've fletched with as much helical my ol' Cabela's metal fletcher can twist. My longbows are 45# and 50#. (know the 7595 are over spined but are left overs from shooting a 55# Bob Lee Hunter).

Results are the 7595s impact a lot higher than the 600s (was expect the opposite) and can definitely hear the 600s flying. TBH the noise may be a result of my less than stellar fletching job.

Any rate, was wondering anyone else's thoughts?

Should add the feather are same length and size.

Comment

I have shot straight and a lot of helical, noise is about the only difference I have noticed. A well tuned set-up along with consistent form are the main things to worry about IMO. Good luck and keep up the experimenting, there is always something to be learned while playing with you bow.

Comment

For your next experiment try shooting helical and straight fletch with broadheads instead of field points and see what results you get. I have always put on as much helical as my Bitz jig will allow, following the conventional wisdom that the increased spin will stabilize a broadhead tipped arrow. I have no data to back up that theory, just what I have read and it makes sense to me (does not mean it's correct)

Comment

Funny you should mention this. I've got a set of arrows (thought they were 400's and turns out they are 500's) fletched with 4 5" parabolic feather, cut to 28" long and tipped with a 150g field point. I stripped two fletchings off of each one just to see what fewer would do. I have less noise and instead of being off to the left a bit they are more centered to where I'm aiming. I have no idea if that's actually because of the fletching or if my aim is improving. Either way it's something fun to play with while I work on my form.

Edit: Forgot to add that they are right wing right helical.

Edit x2: Never mind. I just went out and shot three of each at 15 yards and the only difference is me.

15 yards
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2 fletch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	24457782
          Last edited by Junkers88; 08-22-2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I think the idea is not to make you more accurate, as far as your shooting goes...but to correct for bad form and release. To get better flight, when you are less than perfect. Standing in the yard in perfect conditions, might not be the best test.

Having to lean out from a tree stand, shoot when excited, windy conditions, ete...might be when you would need the spin.

That being said, if you are tuned well, and at our short ranges, probably not a huge deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              I think the idea is not to make you more accurate, as far as your shooting goes...but to correct for bad form and release. To get better flight, when you are less than perfect. Standing in the yard in perfect conditions, might not be the best test.

Having to lean out from a tree stand, shoot when excited, windy conditions, ete...might be when you would need the spin.

That being said, if you are tuned well, and at our short ranges, probably not a huge deal.
              I do agree with you but it's still fun to play around with the fletching just to see what it does.

Comment

X2 on what Jerp & Chunky said.

Helical stabilizes an arrow better that has a broadhead on it.

Comment

I agree with Jerp and Chunky.

Comment

I agree with Phillip and Tod

Comment

Working...
                    X