TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms) (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692789)

BaseKAM36 05-18-2018 12:22 PM

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel
 
Whats the Difference? and what is the better round for deer hunting?

Slick8 05-18-2018 12:31 PM

Creed in a bolt rifle.

The Grendel is a great round and designed to run in an AR-15.

Ammo for the Creed is plentiful and cheap as is components, not so much on the Grendel. The creed will handle 140's even will work with the 150's where the Grendel would be anemic.

Now if I was building a top line AR for hunting the Grendel would top my list of choices.

westtexducks 05-18-2018 01:08 PM

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel
 
About 400-500 fps difference using same bullet weights. Run the grendel if using an AR creedmoor if running a short action bolt gun.

Found a better pic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e55ec3be75.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaseKAM36 05-18-2018 01:10 PM

Thank you.

Walker 05-18-2018 01:21 PM

Creedmoor will run in an ar10

catslayer 05-18-2018 01:34 PM

As said b4 its basically if you want AR or bolt gun... yes creed runs in a large frame but im not really a fan

If i was building bolt gun though right now i would look at 6mm creedmore...

Triple 000 Buck 05-18-2018 02:16 PM

I have both, and like both very much, they both kill deer, pigs, & yotes DEAD.

DuramaxDude 05-18-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westtexducks (Post 13381060)
About 400-500 fps difference using same bullet weights. Run the grendel if using an AR creedmoor if running a short action bolt gun.

Found a better pic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e55ec3be75.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well said

kumathebear 05-20-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple 000 Buck (Post 13381205)
I have both, and like both very much, they both kill deer, pigs, & yotes DEAD.

x'2. The CM, IMO & experience, is better at LONG range shots but what we consider LONG range where we hunt is 500+/- due to terrain and only in the cut out sendero's. The majority of "my" shots are about 150-250 yards and the Grendel has been DRT.

My "go to" is the Grendel in AR 15. You will hear a lot of complaints for available ammo in the Grendel, but we have a dealer here in Granbury that we buy from and John always has it in stock or can order. The thing I notice is there have been several Grendel's in the AR platform on classifieds for sale and I'm amazed at the price quoted? A few in the AR10 for the CM appear every once in a while and of course are always "custom" thus the higher price.

Guess I'm advocating the Grendel, but it fit's my requirements and has never failed to date.

BaseKAM36 05-21-2018 09:16 AM

I like the 308 AR-10 18in barrel 1-10 twist but looking for another good caliber.

Balcones_Walker 05-21-2018 10:57 AM

In my opinion unless you have big fields full of hogs you need to clear out at once, you're better off with an accurate bolt action. For an accurate bolt action, not much can compete with a 6.5 creedmoor. Before the boating accident I had a bunch of ARs that looked great on paper (and on the message boards) but seldom got used in real life.

DWA 05-21-2018 03:45 PM

I prefer a creedmoor for deer hunting especially at distance. But the grendel is a absolute perfect kid round that I take out to shoot does. My 9 yo daughter killed 2 deer last year and with both pass through with the 123 gr sst. Both are low recoil grendel being less and being 6.5 they very accurate. If your shooting 300 yds plus creedmoor hands down. Anything under that grendel. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f6fac2be82.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5eaa68d69b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

coop2564 05-22-2018 12:29 PM

Grendel is a 300yd range and 6.5 CM 800yd.

Mike D 05-22-2018 06:27 PM

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coop2564 (Post 13387952)
Grendel is a 300yd range and 6.5 CM 800yd.



Canít say I agree with that statement on the Grendel. Mine carries 1000 foot pounds of energy just beyond 500 yards and is still super sonic to nearly 1100 yards.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave 05-23-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop2564 (Post 13387952)
Grendel is a 300yd range and 6.5 CM 800yd.

The 6.5 Grendal was specifically designed to be AR15 mag friendly and provide 6BR like performance out to 1000 yrds. It is really coming into it's own between 300 and 800 yds.

coop2564 05-23-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 13389597)
The 6.5 Grendal was specifically designed to be AR15 mag friendly and provide 6BR like performance out to 1000 yrds. It is really coming into it's own between 300 and 800 yds.

For target shooting. It doesnt have enough energy for hunting much past 350yd in 16" barrels and factory loads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TxAg 05-23-2018 09:25 PM

I shot some SST's in the "grundle" and wasn't impressed. They seemed to blow up. Maybe they were going to fast out of a 24" barrel. I loved the gun, though.

switchbackxt 05-23-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coop2564 (Post 13387952)
Grendel is a 300yd range and 6.5 CM 800yd.

NOT TRUE! I dropped a buck this past season at 428 yards with my Grendel.

TxAg 05-23-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchbackxt (Post 13391274)
NOT TRUE! I dropped a buck this past season at 428 yards with my Grendel.

Dang. What bullet?

coop2564 05-24-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchbackxt (Post 13391274)
NOT TRUE! I dropped a buck this past season at 428 yards with my Grendel.

Not saying you can't hit one further, but from a energy/velocity ethical standpoint using factory loads- 16" barrel you fall below bullet expansion levels at 350. If you want to punch pencil hole thru them you can hit them as far as you can hit them. Most bullets require 1800fps or more to expand. With a 24" barrel you stretch out to a little over 400yds but still drop below 1000 footpounds of energy at 400. Its 350 with a 16'' barrel. OP is talking for deer hunting.

bboswell 05-24-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchbackxt (Post 13391274)
NOT TRUE! I dropped a buck this past season at 428 yards with my Grendel.



And I shot a grasshopper in the eye at 100 yards with my Red Rider BB gun but Iím not going to claim thatís repeatable....

Killer 05-24-2018 05:47 PM

Since this tread turned a little I have a question. Are the velocities out of the Grendel low enough to let you use match ammo to hunt with? More specifically the Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullets 120gr. I read they are not designed for hunting, but has anyone tried them? Man they shoot good out of my gun!!

Mike D 05-24-2018 08:32 PM

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coop2564 (Post 13392253)
Not saying you can't hit one further, but from a energy/velocity ethical standpoint using factory loads- 16" barrel you fall below bullet expansion levels at 350. If you want to punch pencil hole thru them you can hit them as far as you can hit them. Most bullets require 1800fps or more to expand. With a 24" barrel you stretch out to a little over 400yds but still drop below 1000 footpounds of energy at 400. Its 350 with a 16'' barrel. OP is talking for deer hunting.



There are purpose built bullets that expand well below 1800fps.

For example the ABLR bullets; they claim to expand down to 1300fps.

My Grendel shoots the 129 ABLR at 2500+fps. At that velocity it is 1000# of energy to 500 yards and remains above 1300fps out to 1000 yards.

This is with a 20Ē barrel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike D 05-24-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer (Post 13392901)
Since this tread turned a little I have a question. Are the velocities out of the Grendel low enough to let you use match ammo to hunt with? More specifically the Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullets 120gr. I read they are not designed for hunting, but has anyone tried them? Man they shoot good out of my gun!!



I wouldnít risk it. Itís not reliable on expansion. The 129 ABLR is a better choice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

switchbackxt 05-24-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 13391286)
Dang. What bullet?

Hornady SST 123GR

switchbackxt 05-24-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboswell (Post 13392820)
And I shot a grasshopper in the eye at 100 yards with my Red Rider BB gun but Iím not going to claim thatís repeatable....

Nice shooting Tex. ;)b

switchbackxt 05-24-2018 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by coop2564 (Post 13392253)
Not saying you can't hit one further, but from a energy/velocity ethical standpoint using factory loads- 16" barrel you fall below bullet expansion levels at 350. If you want to punch pencil hole thru them you can hit them as far as you can hit them. Most bullets require 1800fps or more to expand. With a 24" barrel you stretch out to a little over 400yds but still drop below 1000 footpounds of energy at 400. Its 350 with a 16'' barrel. OP is talking for deer hunting.

I guess Hornady should get a good talking to for printing false info. ;)b

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-123-gr-sst#!/

Balcones_Walker 05-24-2018 09:25 PM

"NOT TRUE!" I always get a chuckle out of these threads.

coop2564 05-25-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchbackxt (Post 13393288)
I guess Hornady should get a good talking to for printing false info. ;)b

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-123-gr-sst#!/

Thats a 24" barrel just Like I said slightly over 400yds. Not many 24" AR's out there nor many that want to have one. If the OP wants a bolt gun the CM still smokes the Grendel for deer hunting. The grendel is a fine gun and the best in AR 15, slightly better on paper than 6.8 SPC but real world they are pretty much equal for hunting ranges, for targets the Grendel out passed 600 yds starts making a difference.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com