Chantix anybody try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chantix anybody try it?

Don't know if I spelled it right but I really need to quit smoking and have tried nicorette and cold turkey. Both have worked for a couple of months, but that doesn't qute constitute quitting. Been thinking about giving this stuff a try. So have any green screeners used it? What are the pros and cons?

Google it. You might decide it's not worth the risk.

Comment

I used it to help get off the snuff.... It works, I will say that it definitely takes the craving's away and I went several months without snuff... I could not have done as good as I did without it!!! And I have tried several times in the last 15 years or so....

Then I messed up and bumed a dip, it was all over then!!!!

Comment

Yes, used it to quit dipping and it worked. Supposedly you might experience weird dreams but I never had that. It just took the craving edge off and that's all I needed. If you are truly ready and are disgusted in the habit you've acquired, you can successfully quit once and for all. Went from 1+ can/day for umpteen years to quit. 2 years now and so glad I did. Good luck, you can do it!

Oh, and the money I save from NOT buying snuff pays for my deer lease and then some.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, my doctor also mentioned the dreams.... She also mentioned that if you were prone to depresion not to use it.... I never had the dreams either and I am definitely not the depressed type!!!!

Comment

My old man used it to break a 50 year 2+ pack a day habit.

It worked decent for him. He got down to 3 cigs a day for a long time then stopped the chantix and got back to smoking. IT GAVE HIM HORRIBLE CRAZY DREAMS!

I'm a smoker too. If I decide to stop I'm going to stop. Won't be trying all these kinds of things to help. jmo

Comment

I think the key here is NOT to mix alcohol with the drug. Everybody likes to jump on this one case but I'm not sure it is something that most of us would experience. Again, good luck!

Comment

Do your homework. It apparently works very well for some people. On the other hand it appears to make some people literally crazy. A great local musician in Dallas, Carter Albrect (sp?), was killed in Dallas a couple of years ago. His best friends all swear the Chantix made him crazy and act totally out of character. He went from being a very peaceful musician, to a raving lunatic. As with most modern miracle medicine, check it out and make sure you know what you're getting into. Be careful and Good Luck...

Comment

I have used it for a while. My dad was prescribed it when he got prostate cancer and I figured if it worked on him it would work on anyone. The stuff works but there are pros and cons to everything.

It is expensive if your insurance wont cover it...I think in the $140-150 range if I remember. I did experience nausea for about 30 minutes after taking it if I took it on an empty stomach which it says not to do...im not a breakfast person so it was tough.

It is pretty amazing stuff as it totally shuts off the cravings for nicotine...even if you do smoke or dip after taking it you dont get any of the relaxing effects of the nicotine.

The problem you run into is getting off the Chantix. If you are still around people that smoke the cravings will return. It still takes quite a bit of willpower afterwards but you will be surprised at how much better you feel once you stop smoking. That alone may help to quit.

Comment

Oh, and the money I save from NOT buying snuff pays for my deer lease and then some
                      I know it at almost $7 a pack and 1 pack a day thats some pretty good money. Not to mention the other crap I get when I go in for a pack of stoges. Next thing you know i am out the door at $10.
                      If you are truly ready and are disgusted in the habit you've acquired, you can successfully quit once and for all
                      I feel like I am. It just amazes me that those little things can run my life the way they do.
                      It just took the craving edge off and that's all I needed.
                      I think that is all I need too. Nicorette did that for me for a little but it was still nicotene.
                      2 years now and so glad I did. Good luck, you can do it!
                      Congrats to you and thanks.

Comment

Yep, I had the dreams and the upset stomach every morning to boot. I quit using it for those reasons. I got the Dr. to give a script for the Nicotrol inhalers and used them to quit in five days. That was back in October. Look out weight game here I come..

Comment

It is expensive if your insurance wont cover it...I think in the $140-150 range if I remember
                          I am hoping my insurance covers it. If not I will put it on the flex card.
                          The problem you run into is getting off the Chantix. If you are still around people that smoke the cravings will return. It still takes quite a bit of willpower afterwards but you will be surprised at how much better you feel once you stop smoking. That alone may help to quit.
                          Seems like I am the only one in my circles that does smoke still. So that may help.

Comment

Hubby tried it a while back, but he quits everything EXCEPT smoking, so he didn't finish the program. I do know it has some serious potential side effects. Be sure to research the side effects before you fill that prescription. Chantix is about $150.00 for the first month and insurance doesn't always cover it. You'd think they'd rather pay for it than pay for lung cancer and emphysema treatments, go figure. Hubby is getting ready to give it another try, but I am getting really tired of throwing money at it with no results. This is the 2nd try for Chantix, he's tried Nicoderm patches 3 or 4 times, toothpics, all kinds of methods. The longest he stayed off the cigarettes was 5 months, and that time he quit cold turkey. I have been quit for 2 years and I quit cold turkey. I keep telling him that he keeps giving himself permission to fail, but all I get back is a blank stare. I don't think he gets my point.

For me it was all about getting my head wrapped around the fact that I didn't want to be a smoker anymore. That is not the same as saying I wanted to quit. I didn't want to quit. I liked smoking. I didn't want to smell like cigarettes, I didn't want to pay for cigarettes any more, I didn't want to be standing outside in the heat and humidity or the cold just to smoke, I didn't like missing out on the smell and tastes of the food I ate and the fragrance of candles I light. I didn't like what it did to my teeth and my lungs. I also hate to spend money for a crutch when I know I can do it on my own. (I can be really, really stubborn. Sometimes it's a bad thing, but sometimes it's a good thing!)

Comment

It works!

I'm snuffless now.

Comment

Working...
                              X