TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Turkeys! (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639469)

Kirby86 03-24-2017 01:57 PM

Turkeys!
 
Who all's gonna be chasing public land turkeys?

This is going to be my first year trying to bag a bird with my bow without a blind.

I'm pretty pumped for it!

Tejasbacon 03-24-2017 02:15 PM

Right on good luck

Double-AA 03-24-2017 02:20 PM

I'll be out there chasing my first bird, too!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FeetDown 03-24-2017 02:31 PM

Good luck Kirby. I too will be after them on public near DFW, though most likely with the boomstick as it is already challenging enough. Cannot wait to put some miles on the boots, I love springtime in Texas!

the dirty one 03-24-2017 02:47 PM

not hunting public land but I am chasing my first bird!! Super pumped up

Slick8 03-24-2017 03:09 PM

I'll be hunting them on the Kerr WMA next week, technically public land but not likely the kind that you're talking about.

Having said that, there's no guarantee that I'll be put in a pasture with birds or that they'll cooperate or that the weather will be good for that 2 day window.

SFAbowhunter 03-24-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby86 (Post 12304092)
Who all's gonna be chasing public land turkeys?

This is going to be my first year trying to bag a bird with my bow without a blind.

I'm pretty pumped for it!

Where you planning on chasing them?

I'm thinking about the vine and texoma. ;)b

HR3 03-24-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter (Post 12304351)
Where you planning on chasing them?

I'm thinking about the vine and texoma. ;)b

turkey's at Lake Grapevine?

BPurvisJr 03-24-2017 03:38 PM

Good luck! I'll be up in Ladonia trying my luck. First turkey season. Might head down to Whitney too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kdurham 03-24-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby86 (Post 12304092)
Who all's gonna be chasing public land turkeys?

This is going to be my first year trying to bag a bird with my bow without a blind.

I'm pretty pumped for it!

In for public! PM me of you want to hook up

Texas Grown 03-24-2017 04:40 PM

I don't know if Gertrude will come out to play this year or not.
(wireless remote controlled turkey decoy)

Kirby86 03-24-2017 06:09 PM

Every WMA in Dfw has birds to some extent. The trickiest part is locating them. I haven't had as much free time this spring to get out but I have a few places in mind.

I just know that some areas hold birds every year, and some places where you find birds in the fall are empty as can be come spring.

I'm either gonna be on a mountain bike or in a canoe.

Buckshot-73 03-24-2017 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kirby, they are thick in Macown valley..

Attachment 847406

[emoji3][emoji851]

Buckshot-73 03-24-2017 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 847407

Kirby86 03-25-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 (Post 12304975)
Kirby, they are thick in Macown valley..

Attachment 847406

[emoji3][emoji851]



Heh, this morning was crazy. Just in scouting I encountered a ton of activity. It's gonna be a good year I'd say!

Chief 03-25-2017 07:17 PM

First time turkey hunting, seeing a lot of hens but no toms today https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...17dbcc37f6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirby86 03-25-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 12306824)
First time turkey hunting, seeing a lot of hens but no toms today https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...17dbcc37f6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Keep at it. I wish I lived in the south zone!

Chief 03-25-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby86 (Post 12306841)
Keep at it. I wish I lived in the south zone!



Hunting easterns in South Carolina right now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thorthunder 03-25-2017 08:38 PM

Will escort the misses opening day. Would like 2. Thinking her 20 gauge......

Txbowslaughter 03-26-2017 07:38 PM

Saw some good birds at Ray Roberts about 3 weeks ago.

Pope & Yum 03-28-2017 09:21 AM

I have been itching to get out to lake A, lake W. Opening morning of bow season I could hear them but never seen one step out. Good luck to all who are getting out there this weekend.

ArcheryAssassin 03-30-2017 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They have been hott down south for weeks now, Unfortunately I decided to use the turkey Guilliotine Broadhead and my shot didnt go off as Planned. When I pulled the trigger my arrow dove hard low and left of my turkey's neck and I had to use the 12 guage backup ! :D I will use a rage broadhead in a few weeks for my next bird. Live and learn :rolleyes:

GraceNmercy 04-05-2017 02:47 AM

I'll be chasing public land easterns in east Texas in a couple of weeks. Should be another good year with the decent hatches the past couple of springs..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 12306855)
Hunting easterns in South Carolina right now


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


jvela23 04-05-2017 03:24 PM

Plan on hunting Twin Buttes in the the next few weeks for my first turkey and public land hunt. Has anyone been there and know anything about the lay of the land?

kparker158 04-09-2017 06:24 PM

Can anyone name a few public lands that holds turkeys? Really want to get a public land turkey!! Twin Buttes is really the only one I know of.

ArcheryAssassin 04-10-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kparker158 (Post 12341961)
Can anyone name a few public lands that holds turkeys? Really want to get a public land turkey!! Twin Buttes is really the only one I know of.

Caddo National Graslands has a decent number of birds

Kdurham 04-10-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin (Post 12344437)
Caddo National Graslands has a decent number of birds



How about LBJ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPurvisJr 04-10-2017 07:08 PM

We'll be out at Caddo this weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kdurham 04-10-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPurvisJr (Post 12344700)
We'll be out at Caddo this weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Do I need permission at Caddo? I have the public land pass.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPurvisJr 04-10-2017 07:13 PM

No sir, as long as you have that APH you're good. We're getting up there Friday morning and camping out all weekend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraceNmercy 04-10-2017 11:03 PM

LBJ has a larger population of birds as those are Rio Grande turkey out there. There are fewer Eastern turkey in the state than Rios, but there is still a decent population of birds in the Caddo area. There is also a good number of birds down south on the SNF. Going out this Sunday afternoon to work on getting another eastern. I plan to be there the majority of the week, but hoping I can seal the deal early so I can get some fishing done the remainder of my time there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdurham (Post 12344647)
How about LBJ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Kdurham 04-10-2017 11:05 PM

Would like to take my son with bow (first time for both). Do we have to get a permit to camp or just find a spot and then hunt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraceNmercy 04-11-2017 12:54 AM

If you're hunting Caddo and have the $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit you have all you need to hunt and camp on the WMA.

I think most forest and grasslands have designated hunting camp sites during deer season, but I believe during turkey season I believe you can camp on most areas on the forest and grasslands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdurham (Post 12345445)
Would like to take my son with bow (first time for both). Do we have to get a permit to camp or just find a spot and then hunt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


BPurvisJr 04-11-2017 09:33 AM

The GW told us we had to use the designated sites this weekend. We thought the same thing about being able to camp out in he hunting areas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GraceNmercy 04-11-2017 04:48 PM

Must only be on that particular WMA. On Forest Service lands that's only a requirement during rifle service. I also hunt with a recently retired warden and have spoke with working wardens at our camp sites and we've not had any issues with that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPurvisJr (Post 12346044)
The GW told us we had to use the designated sites this weekend. We thought the same thing about being able to camp out in he hunting areas.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


JustinJ 04-11-2017 05:13 PM

Heading to Lake Meredith for turkeys this weekend.

BPurvisJr 04-11-2017 06:35 PM

Good luck to ya!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasRangerFan7 04-12-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinJ (Post 12347443)
Heading to Lake Meredith for turkeys this weekend.

I didn't know you could hunt Lake Meredith..I can't seem to find any hunting maps/dates on the TPWD website. Is it draw only or do you just need the APH? Know where I can find a pdf map of the hunting compartments? Thanks.

JustinJ 04-12-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRangerFan7 (Post 12350603)
I didn't know you could hunt Lake Meredith..I can't seem to find any hunting maps/dates on the TPWD website. Is it draw only or do you just need the APH? Know where I can find a pdf map of the hunting compartments? Thanks.

It's federal so nothing about it on TPWD. No need for APH, just go hunt. You can find maps and regs on the Lake Meredith website.

HR3 04-16-2017 06:02 PM

Anyone do any good at the Caddo National Grasslands?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

BPurvisJr 04-18-2017 11:18 AM

We heard some, but couldn't call em in. Ran into a guy that was in the same area and he got one after about an hour of hunting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HR3 04-19-2017 10:01 AM

That happens, I'll hit the southern end of Bois d'Arc Creek this week

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

BPurvisJr 04-19-2017 11:40 AM

Good luck to ya! I'll be back out there next Saturday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FeetDown 04-23-2017 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burned some boot leather hunting our Texas public lands this morning and stumbled upon a Rio Grande hen on this nest. Snapped a quick photo and skedaddled in hopes she'll find her way back and raise us some more turkeys!

According to this TAMU article, this hen is only 5 days into laying her clutch, and may have another 5 or 6 days to go ;)b

"Females lay one egg per day, producing an average total of 10-11 eggs. The eggs are cream or tan in color and may have brown speckles. Incubation lasts around 28 days after the last egg is laid."

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/turkeys/

ReydonPete 04-23-2017 01:41 PM

Great pic

GraceNmercy 04-25-2017 01:56 PM

Came across an eastern nest last year with 6 eggs in it on the National forest. Actually almost walked right on top of her while she was on it and she exploded from the ferns at my feet and scared the heck out of me...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetDown (Post 12376575)
Burned some boot leather hunting our Texas public lands this morning and stumbled upon a Rio Grande hen on this nest. Snapped a quick photo and skedaddled in hopes she'll find her way back and raise us some more turkeys!

According to this TAMU article, this hen is only 5 days into laying her clutch, and may have another 5 or 6 days to go ;)b

"Females lay one egg per day, producing an average total of 10-11 eggs. The eggs are cream or tan in color and may have brown speckles. Incubation lasts around 28 days after the last egg is laid."

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/turkeys/


Hunterlo70 04-28-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcheryAssassin (Post 12344437)
Caddo National Graslands has a decent number of birds

I was surrounded by turkeys early morning during last season's archery opener @ Caddo.. it was insane

Ag_Attack 04-28-2017 04:19 PM

My cousin and his friends have been hammering the gobblers on public land near Angelo State. I think they have kill 4-6 birds already.

HR3 04-29-2017 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterlo70 (Post 12389719)
I was surrounded by turkeys early morning during last season's archery opener @ Caddo.. it was insane

They would keep up so much racket I couldn't nap in my stand....LOL

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com