TexasBowhunter.com Community  Discussion Forums

TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Hunting Opportunities (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fort Hood (https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202451)

twobanger 03-28-2011 09:05 PM

Fort Hood
 
I was hoping one of you long timers would do this but I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

How are sheds coming along and anyone seen hogs during the day?

HoffDawg 03-28-2011 09:21 PM

Only a couple more months and I will be back. Can't wait till Aug. Ready to do some hunting.

fthoodhoghunter 03-28-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobanger (Post 3596734)
I was hoping one of you long timers would do this but I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

How are sheds coming along and anyone seen hogs during the day?

found about 10 sheads so far this year couple good ones saw a few hogs the other day out on the northwest side in 63;)b

HoffDawg 03-28-2011 09:27 PM

If anyone would be willing to take me around when I get back and help me do some scouting it would be appriciated.

BirdRanger 03-28-2011 09:31 PM

Hoff I will be in Africa but when I get back in Aug/Sep I can help ya out... I will take you to all Matts good spots, LOL. Joke Matt.

HoffDawg 03-28-2011 11:03 PM

Sounds good. Try to get something set up for deer season. need to put some meat in the freezer.

fthoodhoghunter 03-29-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRanger (Post 3596814)
Hoff I will be in Africa but when I get back in Aug/Sep I can help ya out... I will take you to all Matts good spots, LOL. Joke Matt.

lmao i always knew you would...haha:D:D

J-Raz 03-29-2011 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't found any sheds yet and the hogs have disappeared from my stand. Guess with all the feeders going off they don't have usual rounds. But I did come across this fishing off the Nolan lake dam. :o

twobanger 03-29-2011 03:23 PM

You can keep that one lol.

ballisticbudda 03-29-2011 03:30 PM

Hope it is taking a dirt or rock nap.

Farmer 03-29-2011 04:53 PM

that looks like a good one.

Reaper 03-29-2011 05:09 PM

Kas

J-Raz 03-29-2011 06:12 PM

Normally he would have gotten some rock rain, but the kids were with me and I didn't want them freaking out or trying to come see it. I simply took a pic and got out of his area.

Went by my feeder today and the spinner plate was stuck... maybe thats why the hogs havent been around?!!!!

BirdRanger 03-29-2011 06:21 PM

A good snake is a dead snake kill one out here at my place this past weekend along with a coon or two I hate corn thiefs..

Matt I wouldn't do that to ya cause it would interfere with me sitting there if you are not!!! LOL..

HoffDawg 03-29-2011 07:42 PM

What about leaving a loc-on stand in place? Is that gonna be allowed, or will it have to be taken in and out everyday?

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-29-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoffDawg (Post 3600370)
What about leaving a loc-on stand in place? Is that gonna be allowed, or will it have to be taken in and out everyday?

Under the new policy Yes. Commercial stands are OK. You need to have it properly tagged and Grid coordinates turned in. The new policy of no stands in trees in the unguided areas is to keep people from getting in those old tree stands and falling and breaking their neck. We convinced the BG that when we use commercial ladder and climbers that one it takes 2-3 people to put them up safely and two commercial stands come with safety harnesses and we use them.
I hope this helps.
When you buy your License make sure you read the FT Hood reg they change every year and there will be a lot of changes this year.

jbitt4x4 03-29-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fthoodhoghunter (Post 3597509)
lmao i always knew you would...haha:D:D

Matt, you get my message on FB?;)b

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-29-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobanger (Post 3596734)
I was hoping one of you long timers would do this but I guess I'll get the ball rolling.

How are sheds coming along and anyone seen hogs during the day?


Hey we are not long timers we are just the lucky ones to get to stay here or keep coming back. Came here in 84 and been here every since. out of 22 and 1/2 I have 16 on hood.

jbitt4x4 03-29-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fthoodhoghunter (Post 3596785)
found about 10 sheads so far this year couple good ones saw a few hogs the other day out on the northwest side in 63;)b

Did you find any axis sheds?

fthoodhoghunter 03-29-2011 08:12 PM

no axis only whitetail

jbitt4x4 03-29-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fthoodhoghunter (Post 3600461)
no axis only whitetail

You turkey hunting this weekend? Ours don't come in until the end of the month...secret weapon for you would be Philip;)b

BirdRanger 03-29-2011 09:00 PM

Hey all No turkey season for me headed to the dark continent quick, fast and in a hurry.. All be safe and enjoy the thunder chickens kill one or two for me...

HoffDawg 03-29-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkin STX Hank (Post 3600410)
Under the new policy Yes. Commercial stands are OK. You need to have it properly tagged and Grid coordinates turned in. The new policy of no stands in trees in the unguided areas is to keep people from getting in those old tree stands and falling and breaking their neck. We convinced the BG that when we use commercial ladder and climbers that one it takes 2-3 people to put them up safely and two commercial stands come with safety harnesses and we use them.
I hope this helps.
When you buy your License make sure you read the FT Hood reg they change every year and there will be a lot of changes this year.

Thanks, i will def read the FT Hood reg.

flipajig 03-29-2011 10:32 PM

Hey yall Good luck Bird on your Africa Trip.. Went out today checked our feeder and cam lots of deer no pigs lots of sign around filled feeder and pured out some of my pig mash mabe some of the pigs will show up. One day I hope that it will happen looked around for some sheds but we did see 2 turkeys on the road in looked like hens.
Good luck to all
FLIP

HoffDawg 03-29-2011 11:01 PM

When you qualify with you bow, can you use the practice BH's or do you have to use the ones you hunt with?

ballisticbudda 03-29-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRanger (Post 3600614)
Hey all No turkey season for me headed to the dark continent quick, fast and in a hurry.. All be safe and enjoy the thunder chickens kill one or two for me...


Have a safe trip, and we'll see ya when you get back. We should have the PCI sheet completed by the time you get back.

BirdRanger 03-30-2011 07:34 AM

Nice Tim I will look forward to the PCI sheet. I will be back from my first turn mid sept so good thing I got my stuff set up already. Should be a blast. Will post a bunch of pictures when I get a chance..

Denverdale 03-30-2011 08:39 AM

When are yall having your tournaments? I haven't seen any info on them. Legacy is coming up im may and I really need to practice. 300,900, 3d... Whatever!

alec73065 03-30-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRanger (Post 3600614)
Hey all No turkey season for me headed to the dark continent quick, fast and in a hurry.. All be safe and enjoy the thunder chickens kill one or two for me...

Hey kevin , be safe over there ! See you in the fall.

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-30-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverdale (Post 3601642)
When are yall having your tournaments? I haven't seen any info on them. Legacy is coming up im may and I really need to practice. 300,900, 3d... Whatever!

Denver I am waiting on the flyers but we do have our schedule
3 D shoot 21 May
3 D shoot 4 Jun
Fun shoot 16 Jul
3 D shoot 20 Aug

I should get some flyers soon and I will get them posted on here. The 3 D shoot should be at the new Ft Hood 3 D range by BLORA. and the Fun shoots will be a basic 300 at the new range by the sportsman center.

John

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-30-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoffDawg (Post 3601157)
When you qualify with you bow, can you use the practice BH's or do you have to use the ones you hunt with?

HD use to be Broad head but I think that is one of the things that is changing this year. also if you qualified last year you do not need to qualify this year.
But I will say it again when the new book comes out please read it. There are things in there we dont know until we see it in black and white.

Kevin I still have all of those coolers for you, I will work with Tim to come up with your styro-foam cut-outs.

J-Raz 03-30-2011 06:07 PM

Well i guess lubing the spinner plate on the feeder and a little bit of Pig Out brought them back in and on camera. The only bad thing is they are at 3:30am. Had a couple hornless bucks too but after another hour of walking, still no sheds. May have to try another section to find me some.

U.S.ArmyRetired 03-30-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdranger (Post 3600614)
hey all no turkey season for me headed to the dark continent quick, fast and in a hurry.. All be safe and enjoy the thunder chickens kill one or two for me...

god bless you brother. Look forward to your safe return!

BirdRanger 03-30-2011 06:33 PM

Thanks all gonna have a good time doing some teaching be back right as bow season opens up for a month and then back again good thing I did PCI's and got everything all set up now and not later. You guys keep them birds safe and miss one or two for me so I can get them next year, I will check in from time to time and post some pics from down there, I am hoping to get to SA and do a hunt I can bring my bow so it is on my packing list... See what happens..

HoffDawg 03-31-2011 12:08 AM

I was just looking at the area access open/closed list and at the area hunt map. Not all the areas are listed on the open/closed list. Like 105 for example. Does that mean it is always open?

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-31-2011 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HD I have attached the 2010-2011 guide but that will change here in a few months when we get the 2011-2012 guide. Bottom line the web site is ran by a fellow hunter and guide he is not affiliated with the sportsman center or range control. As it states in the guide it is the hunterís responsibility to check in and out the access roster is a half arse way of planning IMO. The best way call teletrac and if it is down call the sportsman center area access 287-5847. This # will get you the guys in the back not the girls up front. If you call 532-4552 who knows who will answer the phone.
I hope this helps

The new guide usually comes out when they start to sell the new lic on the 15 Aug of each year.

awhx4 03-31-2011 01:20 PM

Hows, everyone doing. I just got back from NTC flew in this morning

EdO 03-31-2011 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Strange critters wandering the woods of Hood! I'd hate to meet one of them in the dark.

EdO 03-31-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoffDawg (Post 3605054)
I was just looking at the area access open/closed list and at the area hunt map. Not all the areas are listed on the open/closed list. Like 105 for example. Does that mean it is always open?

It doesn't mean anything. The only thing that means anything is Teletrac the day you call. And no, 105 is not always open. Most days it is, but I've caught it closed a couple times. Why? I have no idea. It's best not to ask. When you start asking questions, strange and undesireable things sometimes happen.

No-Walkin STX Hank 03-31-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awhx4 (Post 3606342)
Hows, everyone doing. I just got back from NTC flew in this morning

Welcome back Aaron

hrdwrkncwby76 03-31-2011 07:37 PM

small get going away party Sat evening my place at 7pm food and shooting allowed let me know if any interest

J-Raz 03-31-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdO (Post 3607372)
Strange critters wandering the woods of Hood! I'd hate to meet one of them in the dark.


Especially the the guy with the club foot. Haha

flipajig 03-31-2011 10:13 PM

went out last night and was able to get two pigs one was about 80lbs and the other was around 30. I wanted to use my bow or TC but the 30-06 won the bet (Im almost out of pork) oh well fresh pork is better than none. Im going to try to make some Canadain Bacon out of the straps the 30lb pig im going to BBQ it whole.I hope it all turns out ok.
FLIP

HoffDawg 03-31-2011 10:39 PM

Where is a good place to get my DL adjusted, and my bow tuned?

fthoodhoghunter 04-01-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdO (Post 3607393)
It doesn't mean anything. The only thing that means anything is Teletrac the day you call. And no, 105 is not always open. Most days it is, but I've caught it closed a couple times. Why? I have no idea. It's best not to ask. When you start asking questions, strange and undesireable things sometimes happen.

thats because someone forgot to put the area in on the computer ;)b

ballisticbudda 04-01-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoffDawg (Post 3608060)
Where is a good place to get my DL adjusted, and my bow tuned?

Not that I am partial or anything, but go see Aaron in Lampasas. Nocked & Loaded, there on 2nd Street.

I hear Eagle Eye Ellis is pretty good at twisting strings and such as well, but that is just what I heard.

Depending on you bow, the DL might involve getting a new cam/module.

No-Walkin STX Hank 04-01-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipajig (Post 3607949)
went out last night and was able to get two pigs one was about 80lbs and the other was around 30. I wanted to use my bow or TC but the 30-06 won the bet (Im almost out of pork) oh well fresh pork is better than none. Im going to try to make some Canadain Bacon out of the straps the 30lb pig im going to BBQ it whole.I hope it all turns out ok.
FLIP

Congrats Flip

BirdRanger 04-01-2011 01:09 PM

Hey all I am out br safe see ya in Sept.

EdO 04-01-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRanger (Post 3609647)
Hey all I am out br safe see ya in Sept.

Take Care and Good Luck.

U.S.ArmyRetired 04-01-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdRanger (Post 3609647)
Hey all I am out br safe see ya in Sept.

Stay safe brother. Stay in touch.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com