Keto for dummies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keto for dummies?

My cholesterol numbers are a little high, so I want to try keto in hopes of getting those #s back down. Is there a good resource out there that has meal plans, recipes, and grocery lists all pre-planned? I'd like to find something like that rather than have to figure out how to plan every meal for the first month or so. Seems like that would make it easier to learn and get used to the keto way of cooking and eating.

It’s not difficult. Eggs, cheese, MCT oil for breakfast if you’ve gotta have breakfast. Skip lunch. Dinner is a huge salad (I prefer spring mix for the variety of greens), a sliced avocado, jalepeno ranch (sour cream, jalepeno, cilantro, lime juice, ranch dressing seasoning packet), cheese, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and a protein source cooked in coconut oil (limit meat to eight ounces). Snack on nuts or kerrygold butter (this stuff is incredibly delicious) if you get hungry during the day. Rinse and repeat.

Dietdoctor is a great resource, particularly for the podcast if you’re actually into science.

Comment

On FB there is a page called The Skinny Couch Potato.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
        It’s not difficult. Eggs, cheese, MCT oil for breakfast if you’ve gotta have breakfast. Skip lunch. Dinner is a huge salad (I prefer spring mix for the variety of greens), a sliced avocado, jalepeno ranch (sour cream, jalepeno, cilantro, lime juice, ranch dressing seasoning packet), cheese, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and a protein source cooked in coconut oil (limit meat to eight ounces). Snack on nuts or kerrygold butter (this stuff is incredibly delicious) if you get hungry during the day. Rinse and repeat.

Dietdoctor is a great resource, particularly for the podcast if you’re actually into science.
        I'm not into skipping lunch or any other meal. Hopefully that's not a necessary part of the plan.

Comment

You could check out:
          Marksdailyapple.com

Lots of good info in and throughout his site.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            I'm not into skipping lunch or any other meal. Hopefully that's not a necessary part of the plan.
            Being in nutritional ketosis suppresses my appetite sufficiently to make skipping meals relatively easy. I get the lions share of my calories with my evening meal. I wouldn’t go in for another lipid panel until sufficiently fat adapted, which can take a few months. Also, a standard panel doesn’t really define risk all that well. Besides LDL-C, you need an accurate particle count.
            Last edited by TwoHighways; 12-20-2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              It isn't. If you stay within the guidelines of the macros you will be fine.

Comment

There are tons of resources on YouTube about keto. I have been back on it for about 4 weeks and I'm feeling great. There are several apps out there, I'm currently using Carb Manager, to track your calories. Remember when looking at carbs, remember that you track net carbs. You subtract the dietary fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs. For breakfast eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and nuts like almonds, peanuts and pecans are your friend. For lunch I've been eating sliced salami and pepperoni from the deli, cheese, pickles, chicken etc... and for dinner I've been eating taco bowls with meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. For the first few weeks I generally eat the same things over and over because it helps me stay on track. Not sure if you are a member of Sam's or not, but they have some parmesan crisps that have zero carbs, and they also have smoked gouda pimento cheese that is excellent. They pair really well together. Also, drink plenty of water. I went to walmart and bought a 64oz Yeti style thermos and try to fill it up t times a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

It is easiest for me to not to try to recreate your "normal" foods with low carb options. I just had to put my head down and eat better.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                    There are tons of resources on YouTube about keto. I have been back on it for about 4 weeks and I'm feeling great. There are several apps out there, I'm currently using Carb Manager, to track your calories. Remember when looking at carbs, remember that you track net carbs. You subtract the dietary fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs. For breakfast eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and nuts like almonds, peanuts and pecans are your friend. For lunch I've been eating sliced salami and pepperoni from the deli, cheese, pickles, chicken etc... and for dinner I've been eating taco bowls with meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. For the first few weeks I generally eat the same things over and over because it helps me stay on track. Not sure if you are a member of Sam's or not, but they have some parmesan crisps that have zero carbs, and they also have smoked gouda pimento cheese that is excellent. They pair really well together. Also, drink plenty of water. I went to walmart and bought a 64oz Yeti style thermos and try to fill it up t times a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    I don’t think eating eggs, bacon, sausage or cheese is necessarily good for lowering cholesterol.

Comment

Do a 48hr fast and BOOM you are in Ketosis. None of this peeing on strips and still eating 3 meals a day hoping to get into ketosis after a week of not changing much.
                      Then fast regularly. 18-6 is the bare minimum for fasting. Fast for 18hrs and you have a 6hr window per day to eat. Pretty easy to do. Most people just skip breakfast and eat lunch around noon and dinner by 6pm and you're good.

As for food, it's pretty simple. Low carb to No carb.
                      Mostly Animal proteins with a little low carb fruits and veggies in there.

Comment

Check out Keto Connect channel on youtube. Its a married couple that have all kinds of information. Dr. Eric Berg and also Thomas Delauer have a lot of info regarding keto also.

I know you said you don't want to skip meals, but doing Intermittent Fasting with Keto is pretty easy and gets you feeling really good with great results. I did it a couple of times. Only eat your meals between 12:00 noon and 8:00 pm (skip breakfast) with only black coffee for breakfast.
                        Simple rule of thumb would be limit your amount of protein in your meals to what would fit inside a tuna can and pour on the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          I don’t think eating eggs, bacon, sausage or cheese is necessarily good for lowering cholesterol.
                          Wrong

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                            Wrong
                            So how does that work?

Comment

Alot of what you are going to eat as a "meal" is not going to seem normal. Or at least it wasn't for me. to keep it simple I ate a lot of different proteins with cheese, half an avacado, some macadamia nuts, and a hand full of green olives. It's really easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X