X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my set up for Africa

So I am going to Africa in May. My current set up is:

Body- canon eos70d
    Lens- kits lens, 18-135mm and a canon 50mm f/1.8 lens.

I want to pick up another lens. I am thinking I need a longer range lens. I want to film pretty much the whole trip and when I’m on the gun have my buddy film. I have about $800 or so to play with. What do you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Not sure as much about the video side of it (I use a Canon XA20 Camcorder for all my hunt videos), but if you're looking for good lenses that will give you some more range, I'd be looking at trying to find a decent 70-200mm or perhaps the 100-400mm. They're both awesome for images, so I'm assuming would be decent for video work too.

Comment

Of course, you could also keep some extra cash, and buy my 55-250mm STM lens I do know that one is pretty good on video work, and the silent focusing is very helpful. It's also extremely lightweight, so it'd be good to pack in and out.

Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens testCamera Canon 1200DEditingPremiere Pro CS6 and Photoshop CS6Color correctionNo (straight out of camera)watch this ...

Sample video above that someone else took on a body that is not quite as quality as yours, so your results might actually be a bit better.

Not that I'm trying to sell my lens or anything... lol

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
            Of course, you could also keep some extra cash, and buy my 55-250mm STM lens I do know that one is pretty good on video work, and the silent focusing is very helpful. It's also extremely lightweight, so it'd be good to pack in and out.

Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens testCamera Canon 1200DEditingPremiere Pro CS6 and Photoshop CS6Color correctionNo (straight out of camera)watch this ...

Sample video above that someone else took on a body that is not quite as quality as yours, so your results might actually be a bit better.

Not that I'm trying to sell my lens or anything... lol

What do you want for it?

Comment

$150 and it's yours.

Comment

How do you think it will handle 150ish yard shots?

Comment

Maybe at the top of your budget but it is a good lens for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                    Maybe at the top of your budget but it is a good lens for the money.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_6_3_di.html
                    X2. I love my Tamron 150-600. It has its limitations, but it’s a great lens.

Comment

If I were you, I would considering buying something pretty nice, used, with the intention of selling when I'm done. Quality glass will hold its value, unless you drag it behind a truck.

Comment

One of the guys in our office just did 3 weeks in Africa. He rented a 100-400mm from https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/can...4.5-5.6l-is-ii and his photos are freaking unreal. It was only $100 for the week for the basic package.

Last edited by 35remington; 02-13-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Definitely would go rental route on a 400mm for the distance you are looking for.

Comment

rent the glass with insurence

Comment

Working...
                            X