Aiming focus question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiming focus question(s)

How do yall (collectively and individually) view the arrow and target when aiming? Where is your focus?

For gap aimers and string walkers(...same same but different): Do you focus on the arrow end and the target is blurry or is the target clear and and the tip blurry? From what I gather for split vision the focal bounces back and forth....which is where I reside.

I have to focus on just the spot. If the arrow or hand comes into play it really throws off my impact point. That said focus on form and follow through are just as key for me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I burn a hole through the smallest thing on target i can see. Usually when practiceing i aim at other arrow holes n the target

Comment

I shoot GAPSTINCTIVE. My focus is 100% on the spot but you can't help but see the arrow in your peripheral vision.
        Best way to describe it for me is it's like shooting a shotgun, I look down the shaft at my target but I'm not looking at the shaft. My mind is looking for a sight picture that it thinks is correct for the situation. It's not always right but that's how my brain works for the shot.

Comment

everything is a blur to me except the one hair I'm staring at........ and i'm hoping I hit the one on either side of it!

Comment

Even when I am gap shooting & string walking, my focus is on the spot I want to hit.
            I see & reference the arrow heavily, but it is still a blur in my vision.

It's kind of like pointing my finger at something.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            HFrom what I gather for split vision the focal bounces back and forth....which is where I reside.
            That's kinda where I'm at always, but my final focus at loose is on my intended spot.
            I'm an old dyed in the wool Gapstinctive Shooter, so it gets incorporated into just about every way I shoot.

Rick
            Last edited by RickBarbee; 09-02-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Thank all yall for your input.

I understand to each their own, but...While shooting the other day I got to wondering and harking back to USMC rifle training with iron sights...I was taught...for best results front blade is clear and target is fuzzy. My focus mainly falls on the target but my accuracy desires improvement: I got to wondering if my focus is wrong...for me.

My Sarrels Blueridge has wood grain stripes perpendicular to the riser that I have indexed for yardage and subsequently has become a focal for me and my accuracy has improved...somewhat. Versus my focal being the target or the tip.

(Dang expired TBH token x4. I had a write up that disappeared. Im tired and annoyed. Im going to sleep and will attempt to script more again tomorrow given the chance.)

God bless! Thank yall!

Comment

Sounds like I shoot like everyone else here, only not as well. I focus on the target.

Using the wood grain stripes is a good thing. Likely you will get to the point that you will not look at the stripes. But the stripes are always a good thing to fall back on if your shooting goes downhill for some reason.

Using a reference or even a sight is good to double check your form. If someone has trouble shooting a trad bow with a sight, reference point, taped on toothpick or whatever they need to work on their form. You should be able to figure out something to use as a reference (like your stripes) and be able to shoot a group at a given yardage. When I had my Hoyt Excel I would periodically put sights on it, that always tightened my groups.

As you have already figured out, there's a gazillion ways to shoot trad bows. One thing you can do to help use your arrow for a reference is set your bow up to shoot where you are looking. Different side-plates and rest materials, thickness can be used to adjust your left and right pretty easy. You can move your string nock up to bring you POI down a little, don't get it too low or your arrow can hit the rest.

String walking gives you the same picture every shot. There is a definite advantage to seeing the same sight picture every time. The only down-falls that I can think of is most 3D shoots don't allow and you have be able to judge distance spot-on.

The fixed crawl is golden for hunting but once again most 3D shoots don't allow. Checkout Jimmy Blackmon YouTube videos on the Fix Crawl and Gap Compromise. He has put together some great videos, Jimmy has started doing shooting clinics with Rod Jenkins.

I believe whole hearted that I, along with many others shoot much better the less we think about the shot and just have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and great tips... CaughtandHobble. Ill be sure to check out Jimmy Blackmon... Ive seen one video but been told all his stuff is golden.

It seems like focusing on the tip and blurring the target primarily isnt common and seemingly not done at all...which kinda surprises me.

Comment

Working...
                  X