I Think it's Time to Bury Elvis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Think it's Time to Bury Elvis

I hate to say this, but I think it's time to bury Elvis for good. I love VEs as much as anyone and it is a great TBH tradition. Last month we were discussing the fact that Elvis had left the building. A plan was agreed to where any TBH member could nominate a kill for a VE once three TBH members agreed that a kill was VE worthy any member could bestow the coveted VE. Since that time there have been several TBH members working to get all deserving kills a VE. Recently the effort has dwindled. Now most worthy kills are lucky to get one nomination. The idea of the new system was that with everyone participating, the job of bestowing VEs would not be too great on any one member. With the lack of participation I think it is time to bury Elvis once and for all.

My one request is that if we decide to bury Elvis is that he stays dead. If he were to resurface to hand out a VE to certain kills it could lead to the use of the "C" word (Clique). And in my opinion, if Elvis only resurfaced to hand out awards to certain members, the "C" word might be justified. It is my opinion that all kills that meet the VE standards (as written in the original Legdog rules) should get VEs or none should get VEs. Once again this is only my opinion.

If we decide to bury Elvis, some memorial might be appropriate.

Hate to see it go! I have two nods for a VE and no one ever gave me one

Jeff Young

Comment

Ditto to what Jeff said - two votes but no velvet

Comment

jyoung & Ted,
        Have you nominated each other's kill? I think I nominated each of your kills. If you each have two and have not nominated each other's you could each bestow the VE on the other's kill.

I hate to say it, but the problem here is that many want a VE but are not willing to nominate or bestow the award. If everyone would participate then Elvis could stay alive.

Comment

I think that's kind of Deerhunter30's point, jyoung. When only one person was doing it, it was overwhelming. Now, it takes three people to give each VE, and only four or five people are getting involved in the effort. So the actual workload really hasn't decreased; if anything, it's increased. The only way it would work would be if dozens of people were involved and that just hasn't happened.

Kevin, I agree with you that it should be "all or none."

Comment

[ATTACH]1462[/ATTACH]

Comment

DH30 - I am as guilty as anyone about nominating or doing them. My issue is I do not want to be "the one" who flubb's it up

I saw some real bad ones from the old site right after the rule changes, and to be honest, I do not want to be the one who does it. And before I get bashed -> I do not remember who did those ones nor is it important.

As for nominating them, I have no problem with that, but will leave the actual VE's to others who do a better job. I am however very poor at checking the hunting reports. From this point forward I will make it a point to do a better job at that.
              Jeff Young

Comment

Elvis Has Left The Building!!!!!!!!

Comment

[ATTACH]1463[/ATTACH]

Comment

from the beginning, the VE was supposed to be a good thing. It still is, but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ElvisGrave.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	23815631

now, we are too big

it took this thread all of a few seconds to draw out a couple of disgruntled deserving recipients

Comment

I think alot of the problem here on the new site setup is that Elvis cant be a code. He has to be an attachment. I can put up the pic, have a mod "sticky" the thread and all one has to do is right click and save on the pic and then they can bestow it where it meets Leggy's criteria.

What are yaour thoughts??

Comment

I never fully agreed with having to be nominated. It tripled and already enormous workload. Take the nomination factor out of it, after all, the rules are very cut and dried about what is and what is not a VE.

Keep the formatting, and recommend to folks to do their best to keep it fresh and witty, but I do understand that sometimes you just can't do that.

It's an overwhelming task, but I think if we reduced the workload down to what it was and divided that by the number of people involved and interested that we would see an increase in VEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                          from the beginning, the VE was supposed to be a good thing. It still is, but...

now, we are too big

it took this thread all of a few seconds to draw out a couple of disgruntled deserving recipients

Leggy, please don't take me wrong. I am in no way disgruntled!

Oh, and I actually didn't even know that I had two nominations until this thread made me look. I am not here to be recognized. Just to have fun and meet some good friends.
                          Last edited by jyoung; 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM.
                          Jeff Young

Comment

At one point I suggested whitetail kills only. I mean, after all, that is our entire raison detre, isn't it? That may still be too much, though. What about bucks only? What about 125" and better perhaps. Just some random thoughts.

Come to think of it, maybe I should walk Elvis out back and put a bullet through his medulla oblongata. I don't mind if needs to be done.

Comment

Elvis use to be cool, but now when you have to ask for it or keep up with the task, it aint no fun any more.

I say let elvis RIP and let it be! If you got one, remember the good times, if not he is dead-sorry!

Put a bullet in it Casey, if you need a real gun let me know! I always have a long barrel hog leg hiding out in my jacket!

Comment

Working...
                              X