Renting a good lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a good lens?

Anybody had any experience with renting an upper end lens? Thinking about a 100-400 Canon L series

Any do's or don'ts that I need to know?

Cannot afford to spend the money to buy right now and want to be sure that when I do get ready to turn loose of the $$ that I get what I want/need

Thinking bout renting a good lens just to see what I could do with it. Very much a beginner when it comes to photography but have always been interested in learning how to take better pics.

Thanks,
    Brian

???

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Anybody had any experience with renting an upper end lens? Thinking about a 100-400 Canon L series

Any do's or don'ts that I need to know?

Thanks,
      Brian
      Um...Don't break it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience renting equipment.

Comment

I know Casey has rented a lens before. Maybe PM him.

Comment

DO get the insurance on the lens.

Hi Casey!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
            Um...Don't break it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience renting equipment.
            They have insurance on them, would not think of renting one without insurance
            No more worried about breaking it than I would be a rented trachoe or ditch witch Although I would tend to be a little more careful with it

I was told that some of the professional sports photographer rent lenses, I searched the internet and there are several places that offer lens rental on high end lenses. Looks pretty straight forward but I thought I would see if the TBH photography braintrust had any advice. Things such as who to use/avoid

I guess whenever I do rent one I might have something helpful to offer on this forum
            Until then I will keep absorbing what I can

Comment

I've used lensrentals.com and rentglass.com with great results. I've only purchased the insurance 1 of the 3 times I rented. That was the time immediately following my 70-200s fall to a gravel road. I was a bit gunshy at that point. The insurance is not that much and is probably worth the piece of mind.

It's pretty painless as they make it very easy to get the stuff back to them. They send a return label and ask that you get everything back in the box in which it came.

Renting is a great way to try out glass you might want to buy or might not ever buy. I plan to do it again.

Hi Shane!

Comment

I've rented a couple lenses and even a body from www.lensrentals.com, and I've rented a couple lenses from www.lensprotogo.com as well. Both of them have about the same prices...lensrentals posted prices do not include shipping where lensprotogo does, but in the end they're are about the same. Both places are hassle free to rent and return, I highly recommend them both.

-Brandon

Comment

I just checked Rent Glass and they're pretty much out of long glass.
                  Spring time birders in the South usually snatch up the good stuff pretty quick.

Comment

Thanks Casey, BrandonH and Bluesman

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      Renting is a great way to try out glass you might want to buy or might not ever buy.
                      Hi Shane!
                      X2 - excellent advise

Comment

sorry you dont live close you could borrow mine

Comment

I never knew you could rent glass like that. Pretty sweet deal to test drive some lenses. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I've used lensrentals.com also. No problems

Comment

Working...
                            X