Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #4001
unionmade482
Ten Point

Hunt In: any where i can

i went out today and got a few rabbits and lokk for any signs but anything i saw was old..sure are a lot of buzzards thru
unionmade482 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #4002
unionmade482
Ten Point

quick name drop,chris"lemmeout" thanks again it was nice meeting you and looking forward to seeing ya again
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4003
viper3583
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: The Valley, Gillett, Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
Agree 100%

Anyone have any luck today? Lake was ****, hunting wasn't much better. I packed it up early and headed into Taylor for some bbq. Ran into Viper over here, guess he packed it in early too.

Yes sir... I called it early. Nice to talk with ya over at Louie Mueller's place. That was some good eatin. I am not sure if that pit fire caused the long wait or not, but its always worth it.
viper3583 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #4004
viper3583
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionmade482 View Post
quick name drop,chris"lemmeout" thanks again it was nice meeting you and looking forward to seeing ya again

Hey Union, what box were you at this morning?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #4005
crod888
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can, primarily Granger

No hogs sightings?? Ill be out tomorrow
crod888 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #4006
unionmade482
Ten Point

san gabial area..um 5 i think
Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #4007
unionmade482
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
didnt see any,but like i said i was only out for a few hours
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #4008
viper3583
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
What time you going out there? I might team up with you to increase our chances, we need all the help we can get after the **** helo hunt.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #4009
Z7buckmaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lake Georgetown

Me and "extremehunter37" are going to be out there 2:00
Z7buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #4010
viper3583
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7buckmaster View Post
Me and "extremehunter37" are going to be out there 2:00
Depends on how hard I hunt in the morning, I might make a day of it and join yal for the afternoon. Which spot yal meeting at?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #4011
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas Co., Granger wma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_S View Post
So make no mistake about it. We realize it is public land but we don't have to like it. That land belonged to our families and mostly our grandparents before the govt forced them out. So you can see why we get irritated when public "hunters" show up out there, leave their trash, wound animals, and ruin our hunting and then tell us they're doing us a favor. Don't get me wrong there are some GREAT guys out there and those are the ones we don't notice. They slip in, slip out, and take their trash home. But as anyone knows it only takes a few bad apples to give a bad reputation to a whole group. This goes both ways and I realize that.
To sum all of this up I'll say one last time. How do you think the people around here will react when we see poachers out there, and we see deer carcasses with their heads cut off, and we see people with rifles, and we see the trash on the land that our families once owned and then we're told the public "hunters" are doing us a favor?
I also grew up in the area. I went on a cub scout arrowhead hunting trip to Gr. lake before it had filled up for the first time. My high school was 15 minutes away, and we use to skip school just to go out to the beach and swim to the stump. I played football and graduated from High School with the legendary, bank fisherman Edward Murray. I have been fishing, camping, water skiing, hunting and hanging out at that lake, off and on, my whole life. I started bowhunting out there after I moved back to the area 7 yrs ago, so I wasn’t around for the hay-day. I can only imagine how much better the place was with less pressure.

So, not only do I see where you are coming from, but I can also sympathize with you. But none of us have anything to do with the fact that Williamson County is, and has been for a while, the fastest growing County in the State. And some of you, may or may not know, that hunting(especially bowhunting) after many, many years on the decline is now rising in popularity. It’s a growing sport. Therefore, statistically speaking, not only have a huge amount of people moved within an hour drive of Gr. Lake, but a large amount of bowhunters as well. I know you understand this, and you don’t have to like it. But, almost everybody has a similar story. Back in the 90’s the city of Austin told everyone to get out and vote to give them the power to make Forest Creek a permanent recreational area for mtn. biking and hiking. At the time, mtn. biking was a new sport and there were not many places to ride. After everybody got out and voted to give them this power, they decided to turn it into a bird sanctuary and kicked out the mtn. bikers/hikers forever. As if the golden cheeked warbler didn’t have enough cedar tree’s already. At the time it really stunk, but the sport kept on growing and today there are more places to ride then you have time to ride them. I don’t know the same will happen to bowhunting, I realize the dynamics are different, but I do believe in the strength of numbers. I think in the long run, bowhunters will benefit from more popularity of their sport.

So many people come on this forum to rant about non-hunting issues, so I don’t mind someone coming on here to vent their frustrations on a direct hunting topic. But I do think your preaching to the quire a little bit. Not every person walking around out there is on the green screen. And You, Me, Bo, Koonce, etc. all know that the poaching and trash issues are not all the out of towners. I think this is what you were referring to when you stated is goes both ways. This has been public land for like 4+ decades now. Personally, I don’t think it matters if you live in Hare, Taylor, Round Rock or Houston, we are all public land users. Therefore we are in it together. We can either play nice, or not.

There is one thing that remains constant in this society we live in and that is change.

Birddog66 Out!

Last edited by Birddog66; 03-02-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #4012
Z7buckmaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lake Georgetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3583 View Post
depends on how hard i hunt in the morning, i might make a day of it and join yal for the afternoon. Which spot yal meeting at?
we dont know yet, thinking about pecan cove
Z7buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #4013
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
What time you going out there? I might team up with you to increase our chances, we need all the help we can get after the **** helo hunt.
I can be out at anytime. Texasbowhunter and I was think sometime between 10 and noon. But I can go out earlier and then meet up with him. I'd like to spent the day out there and just check my normal spots to see the damage and gauge whether its worth goin out anymore. I've been reading the earlier pages of this thread and over the years several hogs have been seen and killed after the helo hunt it just gets a little tougher I'm on page 35 of reading lol. Lots of good old information from years past
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #4014
TX_bowhunter37
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dont have a place yet

Good luck guys I am up at cross plains we saw sone sows with baby pigs wad awesome to.spot them
TX_bowhunter37 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #4015
unionmade482
Ten Point

Name:  IMG_20130302_113850.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  113.3 KB

granger supper
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #4016
crod888
Ten Point

Good looking bunnies
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #4017
LemmeOut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:
Nice meeting you as well and a pleasure doing business with you. I hope the case serves you well.

Which did you decide, rabbit stew or grilled rabbit?
LemmeOut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #4018
RickyS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Port Lavaca, Port O'Conner, Green Lake, Granger

Y'all are missing a good sausage party! (that sounded gay) We mixed 100lbs. Only had enough casings for 85lbs. Now for some Tennessee Honey and get the smoke house smOkin. I invited y'all yesterday! Don't say I didn't!
RickyS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #4019
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
Y'all are missing a good sausage party! (that sounded gay) We mixed 100lbs. Only had enough casings for 85lbs. Now for some Tennessee Honey and get the smoke house smOkin. I invited y'all yesterday! Don't say I didn't!
Sounds good
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #4020
unionmade482
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmeOut View Post
Nice meeting you as well and a pleasure doing business with you. I hope the case serves you well.

Which did you decide, rabbit stew or grilled rabbit?
think im going with stew,i found a geat web site a few years ago,ill try to post the link
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #4021
unionmade482
Ten Point

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/
awesome site for hicks haha gotta little every thing
Old 03-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #4022
Bofly
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba and at the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
I also grew up in the area. I went on a cub scout arrowhead hunting trip to Gr. lake before it had filled up for the first time. My high school was 15 minutes away, and we use to skip school just to go out to the beach and swim to the stump. I played football and graduated from High School with the legendary, bank fisherman Edward Murray. I have been fishing, camping, water skiing, hunting and hanging out at that lake, off and on, my whole life. I started bowhunting out there after I moved back to the area 7 yrs ago, so I wasn’t around for the hay-day. I can only imagine how much better the place was with less pressure.

So, not only do I see where you are coming from, but I can also sympathize with you. But none of us have anything to do with the fact that Williamson County is, and has been for a while, the fastest growing County in the State. And some of you, may or may not know, that hunting(especially bowhunting) after many, many years on the decline is now rising in popularity. It’s a growing sport. Therefore, statistically speaking, not only have a huge amount of people moved within an hour drive of Gr. Lake, but a large amount of bowhunters as well. I know you understand this, and you don’t have to like it. But, almost everybody has a similar story. Back in the 90’s the city of Austin told everyone to get out and vote to give them the power to make Forest Creek a permanent recreational area for mtn. biking and hiking. At the time, mtn. biking was a new sport and there were not many places to ride. After everybody got out and voted to give them this power, they decided to turn it into a bird sanctuary and kicked out the mtn. bikers/hikers forever. As if the golden cheeked warbler didn’t have enough cedar tree’s already. At the time it really stunk, but the sport kept on growing and today there are more places to ride then you have time to ride them. I don’t know the same will happen to bowhunting, I realize the dynamics are different, but I do believe in the strength of numbers. I think in the long run, bowhunters will benefit from more popularity of their sport.

So many people come on this forum to rant about non-hunting issues, so I don’t mind someone coming on here to vent their frustrations on a direct hunting topic. But I do think your preaching to the quire a little bit. Not every person walking around out there is on the green screen. And You, Me, Bo, Koonce, etc. all know that the poaching and trash issues are not all the out of towners. I think this is what you were referring to when you stated is goes both ways. This has been public land for like 4+ decades now. Personally, I don’t think it matters if you live in Hare, Taylor, Round Rock or Houston, we are all public land users. Therefore we are in it together. We can either play nice, or not.

There is one thing that remains constant in this society we live in and that is change.

Birddog66 Out!
Well put
Bofly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #4023
crod888
Ten Point

Heading out for the day. Good luck to y'all out there today. Gonna hit the spot then behind the PC prolly below the dam tonight
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #4024
chewy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
we had a sausage fest about 3 weekends ago and made about 125lbs. its alot of work but worth it. you used boston butts or some fresh killed prok? We had extra casing i could have gave you if i would have seen this yesterday.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #4025
RickyS
Eight Point

Hunt In: Port Lavaca, Port O'Conner, Green Lake, Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
we had a sausage fest about 3 weekends ago and made about 125lbs. its alot of work but worth it. you used boston butts or some fresh killed prok? We had extra casing i could have gave you if i would have seen this yesterday.
Thanks buddy. Boston butts here too. We thought we had enough casing. We bagged up the last of it in 1lb tubes. Just a meat and high temp cheese mix.
RickyS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #4026
viper3583
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Heading out for the day. Good luck to y'all out there today. Gonna hit the spot then behind the PC prolly below the dam tonight
Any luck? It was a slow morning for us.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #4027
crod888
Ten Point

Nothing but dead hog carcasses. The heli did a number on them
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #4028
unionmade482
Ten Point

Quote:
where yall at
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #4029
unionmade482
Ten Point

Quote:
Nothing but dead hog carcasses. The heli did a number on them
what area are you hitting chris,you collet any skulls lol
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #4030
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Woods, where ever I get invited
Cool

Wow, glad I was wearing rubber knee high boots as I read through most of that.

At least the Granger Rangers are famous for something.

Did we get a confirmed number of corpses? Should make hunting the thick stuff fun for awhile. Statistics indicate you have to kill 70% of the population to keep the herd in check. That is 70% each and every year. Tactical nukes anyone.

Chris; I'll drop you a PM if I can break away to get up there, I'd like to hunt with you.

Last edited by Wudstix; 03-03-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #4031
Bofly
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba and at the house

I heard close to 200
Bofly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #4032
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofly View Post
I heard close to 200
I believe 200+ with all the corpses we've seen.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #4033
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
Wow, glad I was wearing rubber knee high boots as I read through most of that.

At least the Granger Rangers are famous for something.

Did we get a confirmed number of corpses? Should make hunting the thick stuff fun for awhile. Statistics indicate you have to kill 70% of the population to keep the herd in check. That is 70% each and every year. Tactical nukes anyone.

Chris; I'll drop you a PM if I can break away to get up there, I'd like to hunt with you.

Sounds good. Let me know
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #4034
unionmade482
Ten Point

nice meeting you chris "crod888" give me a holler some time and we can meet up
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #4035
unionmade482
Ten Point

with turkey coming up,any know a good public place or a lease around us
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4036
unionmade482
Ten Point

this is the second day ive been out at the gabriel area and seen a herd {5+} of beautiful deer,prob 6 does and 2 bucks in two days...im gonna stop by the tpwd office this week and see about pulling some draw cards,see if i get one
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #4037
crod888
Ten Point

Well just got in from a long day of figuring out how bad the damage is....went to the spot early this morning and saw more than what I wanted as far as dead hogs. It's to bad. The heli knew where to hit them. I think they read this thread. I went behind the PC and towards the cemetery next. Samething. discouraged I went below the dam. Saw some fresh tracks but as I got back to my area I found more dead flesh
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #4038
Wildman
Associate Sponsor

Joey, how is the ankle doing?

Birddog66, I agree that was very well put.

I would have never thought they could have shot them in the spot. From the videos on youtube it looks like any wooded areas are hard to shoot hogs out of. Were they all killed up against the new fence?
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #4039
Endo
Nubbin' Buck

My daughter and I ran up on a band of orphaned piglets while out today, maybe 15 in total of different sizes. No mama sows around...helo kill got them probably.

We flushed them out and I pounced on one. Cute little thing...pic of my daughter holding our only trophy of the day Let him go afterward to go join his buddies.

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #4040
crod888
Ten Point

Good find. That maybe the next generation of pigs you found today. It's pretty sad to see what I saw today but it answered alot of questions and ill be saving gas from Austin
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #4041
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Looks like they might make it if they are weaned
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #4042
unionmade482
Ten Point

mite hav to giv the area a few weeks see if any thing
else pops up
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #4043
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
mite hav to giv the area a few weeks see if any thing
else pops up
I'm looking for a place to turkey hunt also. If you find something let me know. Day lease or whatever
Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4044
TX_bowhunter37
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dont have a place yet

Same here
TX_bowhunter37 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #4045
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas Co., Granger wma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhunter30 View Post
Agree 100%

Anyone have any luck today? Lake was ****, hunting wasn't much better. I packed it up early and headed into Taylor for some bbq. Ran into Viper over here, guess he packed it in early too.
Quote:
Yes sir... I called it early. Nice to talk with ya over at Louie Mueller's place. That was some good eatin. I am not sure if that pit fire caused the long wait or not, but its always worth it.
Quote:
Hey Union, what box were you at this morning?
Quote:
Quote:
Depends on how hard I hunt in the morning, I might make a day of it and join yal for the afternoon. Which spot yal meeting at?
Quote:
HA! Will the Real viper3853, please stand up! We got trolled! Again!

Last edited by Birddog66; 03-04-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #4046
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Cool

Crod888 hoping for a few more cooler days/evenings to make a trip to Granger worth it.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #4047
gbeard
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger

Quote:
Good find. That maybe the next generation of pigs you found today. It's pretty sad to see what I saw today but it answered alot of questions and ill be saving gas from Austin
We killed 5 a couple of nights ago on a field bordering the WMA. The pigs may be spread out but there are still some out there. Those pigs had been coming out for a while and it looks like the chopper didn't even spook them.
gbeard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #4048
unionmade482
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm looking for a place to turkey hunt also. If you find something let me know. Day lease or whatever
http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/3658034941.html
about the only one i seen worth it on craigs list.
im gonna check in with some friends to,and i you happen to find some thing first let me...might even go in with ya if its worth any thing
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4049
unionmade482
Ten Point

ive been thinking all the granger boys should get together and drick some beers,tell some storys and trade off ##s,maybe a common bar around or some thing..what do yall think?

i know plenty of dive bars to hang out
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #4050
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeard View Post
We killed 5 a couple of nights ago on a field bordering the WMA. The pigs may be spread out but there are still some out there. Those pigs had been coming out for a while and it looks like the chopper didn't even spook them.
I'm sure their are isolated pockets of pigs pushed to private land that will eventually move back onto the WMA