260 Rem Reload Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

260 Rem Reload Information

I am just curious if anyone else uses the below combination for their load. I am running a load that shoots excellent but I am not finding anyone else using this combination. Since I have not found anyone using this load I prefer not to list it. But I would like to know if you have this combination how much Varget you use. I have tried many powders, projectiles, and brass and this is my favorite combination, .251" groups at 200Y.

143 EDLx
    BR2 Primer
    Lapua Brass
    2.81 OAL
    Varget Powder

Just my opinion .... Doesn’t matter what others are using since ALL barrels are different. Some are slow , some are fast, some are hummers, some shoot poorly. Also powders can be sensitive and vary from lot to lot. If your load shoots lights out, then stick with it. Someone else’s accurate load data may shoot horribly in your rifle due to numerous variables.

Comment

I would not use Varget. Hornady does not publish losd data for it with that bullet and cartridge and Varget is faster than any powder Hornady uses for that bullet and cartridge. Do you have load data from a reputable source?

LWD

Comment

That's the problem that I am having. It shoots great but there is no published data for it. I'm just concerned it may be to hot. A buddy of mine shoots competitions and suggested this load at .1 higher than what I am using. I'm over 37 grains.

Comment

Inspect your primers, inspect the primer pockets, and have someone run Quick Load using your data to see if it’s safe or above high pressure

Comment

A quick look at the data shows your on the max side of things. How do the primers look? How's extraction? Ejector marks on the cases? You have to remember that the published data is a guide. Some guns will go over max and some won't make it. I have a 6.5 Swede that is 3 grains over published max (6 if you count the old 45k limit) and no issues, it does have a ton of freebore though.

Comment

37.1 grains is the max Varget load for the 129 grain bullets. It only generates 2700 fps. Other powders generate 2900 fps with the 129 grain bullets. The 143 grain bullets are obviously bigger. Youve got to be over pressure. But maybe not. Run this on quickload as Cajun suggests.

LWD

Comment

I think the SAAMI spec max pressure is 60,000 for the .260. Theres no reason you cant go to 65,000 with a modern rifle and brass. You might be okay. But you might not.

LWD

Comment

Does anyone have quickload?

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                    I would not use Varget. Hornady does not publish losd data for it with that bullet and cartridge and Varget is faster than any powder Hornady uses for that bullet and cartridge. Do you have load data from a reputable source?

LWD
                    Varget works very well in several of my reloads for 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5, 7mm08 and 308. All loads were from published data.

Comment

Lots of good advice above, and it sounds like what you are using works well - and it’s hard to argue with success. I personally have settled on H4831SC with my .260AI.

Comment

I've got QL. 37.2gr of Varget is pretty close to max (if not max depending on your powder lot) with a case fill of 93% producing a velocity of 2662 fps using a 24" barrel. There are a lot of variabilities that determine the outputs of QL. Do you by chance have any velocity data or H20 capacity of your brass?

I shoot a 260ai and have found that RL26 provides the highest velocities and H4831SC to produce the best groups.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                          Varget works very well in several of my reloads for 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5, 7mm08 and 308. All loads were from published data.
                          Right, but the OP asked about a specific bullet and cartridge. You have published load data for the combination in question? If so, from where? Hornady publishes no load data for that combination.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfish View Post
                            I am just curious if anyone else uses the below combination for their load. I am running a load that shoots excellent but I am not finding anyone else using this combination. Since I have not found anyone using this load I prefer not to list it. But I would like to know if you have this combination how much Varget you use. I have tried many powders, projectiles, and brass and this is my favorite combination, .251" groups at 200Y.

143 EDLx
                            BR2 Primer
                            Lapua Brass
                            2.81 OAL
                            Varget Powder
                            RL26 will get you about 150-200fps better velocity.
                            I get 2850 in my 6.5 CM. Factory stuff is around 2600-2700
                            Last edited by coop2564; 09-17-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                              RL26 will get you about 150-200fps better velocity.
                              I get 2850 in my 6.5 CM. Factory stuff is around 2600-2700
                              I used RL26 in my 6.5CM and could not get the accuracy out of it like H4350. Like you said though it makes some horsepower for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X