Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do "older" cell phones not get good service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do "older" cell phones not get good service?

At first I thought it was just the location but after a couple of years there is zero doubt that new cell phones (iphones mainly) get a lot better reception.

Does Apple make older phones somehow get weak service? My wife, daughter, and now nephew all got new iphones and now all have 3 bars LTE. All the older phones barely get anything

Seems to be the same with my brothers Samsung. He had great reception for the first year but it's gone downhill and now sucks.

Any clue what the deal is?

Built in "hook" to get you to buy newer phones...

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it may have something to to with advancements in technology?

Check into it. I think it should be pretty obvious.

As far as your brothers phone maybe he got a dud?

Comment

That’s then slowly phasing you out so you have to buy a new one.

Comment

Built in obsolescence and intentional slowing of phones through updates.

There’s a civil suit against Apple right now for that exact thing

Comment

I have an old samsung s5 that still get good signal.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
              Built in obsolescence and intentional slowing of phones through updates.

There’s a civil suit against Apple right now for that exact thing
              Yep, I think they all do it.

Comment

Yup, my note 5 isn't near what it once was but I'm not planning to upgrade until it poops out.

Comment

I agree with the planned obsolescense. I have an IPhone 6S and the last 6 months or so the battery won't stay charged for barely 1 day, it use to last almost a week when I first got it 3 years ago.

Comment

My next phone will be a flip phone if I can still find one. I'm tired of these confounded things. I'm going to simplify.

Comment

Dealing with his now. My iPhone 7 is rediculously slow now.

Comment

I haven't paid too much attention to it. But as best I can tell the lawsuit against apple is concerning a firmware update they pushed to older hardware, that decreased the output capacity of the battery. This was a "feature" touted to increase battery life in older devices without a replaceable battery.

However, as a result you ended up with devices that didn't perform as well as they did before. I don't know the actual battery specs on an iphone but the difference between 4.5 Amps and 4.1 Amps could mean a LOT in reference to hardware ability. Not only will you have weaker cell and wifi connections the processor and ram can slow down as well.

Comment

Mostly because customers demand more data than voice services, modulation techniques and broadband utilization have to be changed. Older phones simply do not have the processing power to handle it all, and with the processor eating up all the available power from the battery, the receiver cannot pick up the signals nearly as well.

It's a whole big deal.

Comment

Part of the same coincidence that my phone slows down and drains battery when there's a new update i dont want and avoid downloading. When it finally does it on its own everything works fine. Yeah, they're totally wrecking stuff to force new stuff on you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I was a smart phone holdout. Had broken numerous flip phones due to the nature of ranch work. Operating all kinds of heavy equipment as well as tractors. Being around herds of cattle daily and sometimes getting stepped on or knocked down. A smart phone can be damaged too easily. Well, people needing to get ahold of me were sending texts and I wasn’t getting them. Finally had to get a smart phone when the girlfriend was sending texts and thought I was lying when I told her they stopped coming through. Never thought I’d give in to buying one, but a gorgeous blonde gal can have amazing powers of influence on a guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X