No announcement yet.

East texas public land thread 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice hog! I do not drag out anything anymore. I quarter them up and pack them out. Much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      I have a question for early season bowhunters. When scouting for a good early season stand, will I be better off playing the odds on summer winds primarily coming out of the south to hunt bedding areas? Or should I look for better travel corridors for evening hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely gotta play the wind. One thing I have learned about public land you never know where the deer will pop up. I try to find natural funnels between bedding and feeding areas

Comment

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
        Definitely gotta play the wind. One thing I have learned about public land you never know where the deer will pop up. I try to find natural funnels between bedding and feeding areas

I’ve been doing a lot of internet and foot scouting trying to primarily locate bedding areas. It’s definitely difficult to locate feeding areas until you can find where the acorns are gonna be dropping. I’m not really sure what to look for food wise other than acorns and small leafy green browse, which seems to be absolutely everywhere right now.

Comment

Last edited by forest-hunter; 07-03-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Yep I look for funnels in oak patches also.

Comment

Nice hog! I do not drag out anything anymore. I quarter them up and pack them out. Much easier.
              Same here, I think that’s the difference between a satisfying dinner and what people call “Gamey”

Comment

I used to drag out my deer and hogs but most of the time I’m at least a mile from the truck. Last time out I shot two hogs about 100-125lbs each and quartered them both and packed them back to the truck. It was so hot that day no way I would have got them cooled down quick otherwise.

Comment

I used to drag out my deer and hogs but most of the time I’m at least a mile from the truck. Last time out I shot two hogs about 100-125lbs each and quartered them both and packed them back to the truck. It was so hot that day no way I would have got them cooled down quick otherwise.
                  Are you using a frame pack for this? I thought about buying a cheap one because I can’t afford the nice ones, but not sure if the cheap ones work worth anything. I assume thats why the nice ones are so expensive, they work.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                    Are you using a frame pack for this? I thought about buying a cheap one because I can’t afford the nice ones, but not sure if the cheap ones work worth anything. I assume thats why the nice ones are so expensive, they work.
                    I may be mistaking but I believe I remember someone on here using the cheapo Amazon pack and having good results for deer around Texas. Might be worth looking into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what I’m using. Works great for the price. One of the places I hunt I use my bike and I can ride it no problem with this. Load it down with a hog and ride out. Even hauled a 40lb bag of corn on it once.

Comment

Would y’all recommend a climber or ladder tree stand? Seems like more people use the ladder tree stands, or muddy is just good at advertising. Never used a tree stand before

Comment

I use a muddy woodsman climber. Got it for 149.99 no tax and free shipping
                          Would y’all recommend a climber or ladder tree stand? Seems like more people use the ladder tree stands, or muddy is just good at advertising. Never used a tree stand before

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                            I use a muddy woodsman climber. Got it for 149.99 no tax and free shipping

Lucky you, that’s $100 cheaper than what it is online. The little front bar doesn’t get in your way when shooting?

Comment

Nope with a bow I just sit lower so when I stand it is lower down. For rifles it works as a decent shooting stand. It may still be on ruralking.com for 149.99
                              Lucky you, that’s $100 cheaper than what it is online. The little front bar doesn’t get in your way when shooting?

Comment

Also if anyone is looking for fishing rods, I've got a code for McCain fishing for 50% off your order. If anyone is interested lemme know [emoji108]

Comment

Working...
                                X