Charles Goodnight had some bowhunting buddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Goodnight had some bowhunting buddies

My grandmother was raised near Wayside on the rim of the Palo Duro Canyon. She was born in 1910. She used to tell us about a time when she was a little girl and their neighbor, Charles Goodnight, invited all the neighbors over to his place. She said he brought some Indians over from the reservation in Oklahoma and had them kill a buffalo with their bows and arrows the way they used to. She said the Indians then butchered the buffalo, and then they had a big barbecue.

She never mentioned anything about Mr. Goodnight filming the event. I imagine she didn't remember that part. But he made a silent movie, and this event was a part of it. She likely never saw the film. She would have been either 5 or 6 years old, depending on what month this happened in 1916.

She passed away a few months shy of her 100th birthday in 2010. I wish she could have seen this film. She would have loved seeing it. Maybe she could tell me if the kids at the 22:40 mark are her and her siblings. I can't tell.

I found the film by accident a few years ago on DVD for sale at the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum at West Texas A&M University in Canyon. I bought a copy. Dad and Zach and I went to the museum the other day over Thanksgiving, and we looked for the DVD to buy dad a copy. They didn't have any more. But then we found the video online here. It's a pretty cool piece of history. It's especially cool for me, after hearing Mimi tell the story about it all my life.

Click this link to watch the video.....
    Watch an ever-growing archive of Texas film and videos through the decades. Discover the experience of Texans, explore education and preservation resources.

Last edited by Shane; 12-04-2017, 09:56 PM.

Awesome history thanks for sharing!

Comment

That's really cool! Sounds like she was quite a lady!

Comment

Very cool Shane. Any cool stuff you find like this I would love to see/read. I have become very interested.
        On a side note I believe I remember you posting her photo when she passed. I bet she had some amazing stories.

Comment

I'll be sure to watch it tomorrow

Comment

What a neat connection Shane. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
              That's really cool! Sounds like she was quite a lady!
              Originally posted by myway View Post
              Very cool Shane. Any cool stuff you find like this I would love to see/read. I have become very interested.
              On a side note I believe I remember you posting her photo when she passed. I bet she had some amazing stories.
              She was one heck of a cool lady. College educated (rare for women of her generation), HARD working farm girl, smart business woman, tireless Christian servant, AWESOME cook.... I could go on all night.

It's mind boggling to think about what she and others in her generation saw during their lifetimes. She ate buffalo with Charles Goodnight after the Indians killed it. She rode to town on a horse and buggy. She saw the first airplanes fly. She watched a man walk on the moon.

She lived an amazing life at an amazing time in history.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that.

Comment

Great story there Shane.
                  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    She was one heck of a cool lady. College educated (rare for women of her generation), HARD working farm girl, smart business woman, tireless Christian servant, AWESOME cook.... I could go on all night.

It's mind boggling to think about what she and others in her generation saw during their lifetimes. She ate buffalo with Charles Goodnight after the Indians killed it. She rode to town on a horse and buggy. She saw the first airplanes fly. She watched a man walk on the moon.

She lived an amazing life at an amazing time in history.
                    I can only imagine.
                    Andrew one of the descendants from the JA is who has been helping us with our surveys. To listen to him talk is impressive but 4th generation I would guess. I imagine 1st hand was amazing!

Comment

Awesome story

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                        I can only imagine.
                        Andrew one of the descendants from the JA is who has been helping us with our surveys. To listen to him talk is impressive but 4th generation I would guess. I imagine 1st hand was amazing!
                        When I was in high school and college, there was an old cowboy, Smoky Alexander, that worked at my grandmother's feedlot south of Tulia. He had worked on the JA when he was young. He had lots of cool stories.

I had two great-grandfathers that worked on the XIT back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I heard some of their stories from my parents and grandparents.
                        Last edited by Shane; 12-04-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Great video Shane...
                          Thanks, for the history lesson.....

Comment

That's very interesting. I am going to have to watch that video when I get home. I have multiple interesting stories about my great grandfather, who was born in the 1880s. Still trying to learn as much as I can about him and the rest of the family. There was so much I did not know to ask him, when he was alive. But have heard many interesting stories since he has passed.

Comment

I read about that indian buffalo hunt in the book "Empire of the Summer Moon". Goodnight had kind of a love/hate relationship with the Comanche.

Comment

Working...
                              X