Well, I s'wan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I s'wan!

That's what my grandmother used to say whenever something appeared unusual or even not-quite-right.

And that's what this hunting story is about - something I'd never seen before, and after having asked other long-time hunters, none so far have seen it, either. But maybe you have.

I hunted near Menard at the western edge of the Hill Country the last few days, looking to thin the doe population. Well, a mature doe wandered into bow range near the feeder, and wham! Spined her, and she dropped dead on the spot, about 10' from the feeder. The time still being early, I just sat back to see what else would show up, leaving her lie where she fell.

Didn't take long before a small 4 point came in. He eyed her, looking askance, and not real sure about what was going on. Pawing the ground, he got up a little more courage, and walked up to her butt, and sniffed. But that was only the start!

For the next 20 minutes, he'd alternate between pawing the ground, smelling her butt, running to nuzzle her nose, giving her backside a hoof, turning around several times, and restarting the process. I should mention that his tumescence became obvious, and it just seemed to twitch with excitement.

Eventually, a really big melanistic 8 point came in, and observing the situation, went over to the dead doe, and sniffed. But him being more experienced, he didn't get nearly as excited as the little boy, but ran him off just the same. Then he casually went about eating the corn, and didn't even pay attention when the little boy came back in for a final try with the doe.

That was about as much fun as I've had hunting in years! It was hard (no pun intended) to keep from cracking up while still in the blind. But I certainly did so when retelling the story to my hunting buddies later on.

Their curious animals. But can't think logically so even through she laid there motionless they can't wonder why

Comment

My buddies son a few yrs ago shot a big doe that was with a yearling. He drops the doe on the spot the younger deer runs off only to return a few minutes later. Well the young deer walks up to the doe laying on the ground and starts pawing at it... Like come on get up. It stayed there pawing the doe till my buddy and his son walk closer. They got it on video.

Comment

CoolArrow - that's a good story, too! I just wish I'd have gotten mine on video.

Comment

Last weekend my brother shot a doe early. I told him to not get out and move her. Ten minutes later he shoots a nice 8 point who came in to check her out. I have heard of these stories before and have seen first hand.

I would say leaver her there if you believe the rut is on or about to be on.

Comment

Curious critters, for sure.

Comment

Great story!!

Comment

Working...
              X