No announcement yet.

Lost my private spot, now in need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd just have a conversation with the new guy and work out the details between you two. Work up your own set of guidelines that makes y'all happy. Maybe even help each other out in stuff. What fil's wife don't know can't hurt her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tough spot...sorry to hear that. Property owners can be quirky even if they're family. Just be as patient as you can be and one way or another, everything will work out.

Comment

Sounds like you need a deer lease I just happen to know where one is that's pretty decent Bow only . No but seriously good luck hope something works out for you !!

Comment

I'd respectfully talk to the FIL to confirm whether MIL's rules are the rules or not. If they are, then I'd probably quietly pick up my stuff and let the other guy have it while I made other hunting plans. I wouldn't make any big comments about it. I'd just respect their rules, and I'd go hunt somewhere. I'd do my best to maintain a good relationship with them, even though it would mean I wouldn't be at their place as much during hunting season. Maybe eventually they'd redo the rules again and invite me back. If not, I'd be hunting somewhere else anyway.

Comment

Found myself in a similar situation before last season. Fortunately managed to maintain good relationship with the friend who was letting me hunt (in fact just was there for dove opener) but I choose to bite the bullet and get my own place... Long story short I've never anticipated an opening day like this year. To have the freedom to hunt my very own place that I've put in the sweat to get the way I want is indescribable. Not the cheapest solution be for me totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I'd respectfully talk to the FIL to confirm whether MIL's rules are the rules or not. If they are, then I'd probably quietly pick up my stuff and let the other guy have it while I made other hunting plans. I wouldn't make any big comments about it. I'd just respect their rules, and I'd go hunt somewhere. I'd do my best to maintain a good relationship with them, even though it would mean I wouldn't be at their place as much during hunting season. Maybe eventually they'd redo the rules again and invite me back. If not, I'd be hunting somewhere else anyway.
              Shane - good head on your shoulders, there. Before I did anything silly, I just calmly reminded myself that it's not my place, and being there is a luxury. Their house, their rules. I do plan on having a conversation with the FIL to understand better, and to explain to him - from a practical standpoint - that I can't really hunt there under the current 'rules.' Not because it's not satisfactory, but because it's a zero sum game. As someone pointed out, I'll tell him I'm still happy to kill does and hogs, but I wont focus my effort there because it doesn't make sense.

As an aside to this; I've had a pretty awesome response from the green screen. Can't tell y'all how much I appreciate it.

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

So, you are kin and that guy is or is not kin?

I think you are making a wise decision for the immediate time frame. Calm, back off and let the dust settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    So, you are kin and that guy is or is not kin?

I think you are making a wise decision for the immediate time frame. Calm, back off and let the dust settle.
                    Yeah, the new guy is a family friend who did some pest control work for the family. When he found out that there's this big hunting property and only one other hunter, he expressed interest and was invited. Cool, fine. But, because he put a lot of work into developing his little hunting area, he somehow got bumped in front of the line. Strange, I agree.

Comment

Shane has some very good advice as usual and it would be advisable to follow. But this putting friends before family in most cases is no bueno in my book.

Comment

Pick up your things and move on. Don't accept sloppy seconds

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                          Shane has some very good advice as usual and it would be advisable to follow. But this putting friends before family in most cases is no bueno in my book.
                          You know, this is my main problem, too. I think, anyway. On one hand, i totally get that 'hey, there's a price, and the price is work on the ranch.' But, a) the guy hasn't done a lot of work on the property. He just put up stands, cameras, and killed a few annoying hogs (which of course he kept and ate). And b) there was never any real talk of 'you have to earn your spot.'

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                            Pick up your things and move on. Don't accept sloppy seconds
                            That's also part of this craziness. There ARE no seconds. I've identified (disclaimer - I'm not a wildlife biologist or an experienced property manager) several killable deer. I was even the champion for the deer population there for the last few years. Now, though, there are some prime candidates. The FIL's wife has identified ONE deer that she says is ok to shoot. Why, you ask? Because 'it has a drop tine and needs to be culled.' I can't make that up.

Comment

FIL?

Shoooot....if that's the case & I'm in that situation, I'm having "Daddy's little girl" call Daddy...

Otherwise, "new family friend" trumping SIL/daughter sounds like there is something underlining here...and if that's the case, I'm down the road & not worth my headache...

Comment

I have to share this update with you guys, just so you can share in my incredulity. Now, I'm not still holding out hope for this spot or anything, but there are 2 things that have happened since the initial pass when I found out the 'bad news.'

1. I asked the FIL's wife about being able to go down there and kill a doe or a hog. I got permission to do that with a strict 'no bucks' reminder because they are reserved.

2. This is the part that, to me, is nuts. My FIL is in big business and travels a lot. He emailed my wife (not me) from Europe and asked her if I could/would go down to the property this weekend and help the wife and their best friend work. Like, weld, move dirt, operate heavy equipment, improve the land, tractor - hot, out-in-the-sun work. Which, hey, I don't mind a bit. But, can someone tell me why it's ok to say, 'hey man we're taking something from you, and the guy we gave it to is going to be noticeably absent, so we need you to go do manual labor for us.' I mean, really?

Comment

Working...
                                X