Deerman's 3D Competition ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deerman's 3D Competition ?

Who among our traditional shooter ranks is familiar, and has experience with the Deerman's 3D competitions?

I've known of them for quite a while, but know nothing abut them.
    After reading some on their website, my interest to participate is considerably peaked.

Rick

I never heard of them but now that you mention it and looked at the web site it looks real good to bad the season is over for it. I might try one next year if close enough.

Comment

Have shot a few, was even state champ last year. My experience has always been pleasant and it's very much like hunting, funky angles and gets you out of form. I will advise anyone going to take binos, invaluable at their shoots.

All that being said, the pre shoot speech is like having a root canal. Them boys like to talk and they're long winded. I've had jury sequester speeches that were shorter and more pleasant. Plan on an hour or so just for that.
      Last edited by shortstroke 91; 08-01-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I've been to several and they cover all the rules and why the targets are setup the way they are. They do this because there is always some people that have never been to one. If you've been to one then yes their talk may seem long because you've already heard it before. An hour is stretching it by 45 minutes. Now the half time sermon is another 15-20 minutes, but that's optional. You can go sit in the car or go to the practice range until he's done. If you like to shoot around trees, off your knees and thru the brush then you'll love this shoot.

Comment

We have a Deerman shoot at Cowtown Bowmen every year. Not a lot of shooters in the trad class but more should show up - it is a lot of fun and much more like hunting

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            We have a Deerman shoot at Cowtown Bowmen every year. Not a lot of shooters in the trad class but more should show up - it is a lot of fun and much more like hunting
            John, do the Deerman people come setup & run the shoot on your course,, or do you guys do it all?

Rick

Comment

They set the course - we just provide the venue. He has his own set of animals with kill zones based on how they are presented e.g.: a quartering away deer will have the kill zone further back than it is on a regular 3D target

Comment

Rick, We have ahd a Deerman shoot at Collin County every year for several years. They are a fun shoot and a lot different that a normal 3D shoot, Much harder to score well becasue anything that would be a wound on a live animal counts as a -5. Get very many of those and it can get ugly.

The way it works for us is that they come in late on Friday afternoon and set up camp on our property. They provide the targets. We show up at daylight on Saturday and scatter the targets onto the lanes we have chosen to use. Takes about a hour They set up the targets and stakes and they run the shoot. All we do is concessions and drinks. We also help get the targets picked up and back to their trailer after it is over on Sunday, about another 30-45 minutes.

We get 40% of the gate and all the concessions. They keep the other 60% of the gate.

15 targets, shoot them twice with a break in between halves.

He lets trad guys go off early, so most times you do not have to wait behind the compound crowd. We went to Ada to shoot his 2017 World Championship Round last week-end and there were, I would guess 75-80 shooters on Sunday, do not know how many were there on Saturday. Total of 12 Trad guys both days. Four of us from Collin County.

We held the Texas State Championship a month or so ago at Collin County and we had 101 total for the week-end, and about a dozen or so trad guys.

This is a really fun format, and you need to shoot really well to score well. 20 yard max for trad guys but many targets will be quartering 60*, leaning out of position, etc.

The location for the Texas State Championship shoot moves from Club to Club every year.

Wayne
                Last edited by Wayne Meuir; 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

-5's make your scorecard look uuuuuuug-Ly!!!

I have seen scores close to zero turned in!!!! I shot a lot of them several years ago when I was shooting compound barebow for a while (Oneida Screaming Eagle with no sights, off the shelf, and canted). It was fun to shoot, and they had good setups back then. There just is none of their shoots close to me.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks John. That's what I thought, but wanted confirmation.

Thanks for the info Wayne. I'm gonna have to try to get on board for it.

Bisch, I've shot a few competitions that scored -5 for wounds. Yep, they can make for an ugly score card, but it sure is fun.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
                      Have shot a few, was even state champ last year. My experience has always been pleasant and it's very much like hunting, funky angles and gets you out of form. I will advise anyone going to take binos, invaluable at their shoots.

All that being said, the pre shoot speech is like having a root canal. Them boys like to talk and they're long winded. I've had jury sequester speeches that were shorter and more pleasant. Plan on an hour or so just for that.

Amen to that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X