Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillipsie County., Kansas & La.
Question Speeding Ticket....Pay or Defensive Driving?

TBH Braintrust..........Should I just pay the ticket and be done with it or take the class? What happens in either scenario?
I would prefer just to pay since my time is limited.......especially during bow season! I do realize I can take it at home or go to a class.
Details:
City of Rusk, Texas:
Posted: 40 mph
Clocked: 63 mph
Oh, I was driving home late night from the Hagerman trip when I got it.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Chad C
Pope & Young

See if they will do deferred adjudication! (sp) you still have to pay...If they will it is most likely 90 days probation as long as you don't get another ticket in their city!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
jsk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Carson Co., So. Mississippi, N. Kansas

Taking defensive driving will be almost as expensive as the ticket. It won't go on your record though.
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Yep deffered adjudacation, or www.deffensivedriving.com It doesn't take that long.

que the "do the crime, pay the fine" crowd.....
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
BJOHN
Six Point

I had a ticket for $356.00 I chose to do the defensive driving and ticket the came down to $140.00. The defred judification was going to be more money. That was going to be around $200 for me to pay. I chose the lesser amount and to not have it show up on my driving record. The defered judification will not show up on your driving record if you don't get another ticket with the specified time but if you get another ticket you will have both show up on your record.

bjohn
BJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings

I was going to take DD, but when I went and seen the county clerk here in Montgomery county, she said if you take DD, the ticket is still on your record but it shows that you took DD for it. She said go before the judge and ask for Deferred Adjudication and get 90 days probation. If you don't get another ticket in the time span, your record will be clean of it.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Tushhog
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett, Texas

I got my first speeding ticket of my 23 years of driving in oct. heading to the lease. I paid the 164.00 "71 in a 55 " asked the judge for deferred adj., and as long as I did not get a ticket within 30 days from the day I made the payment, it would not go on my record. The town was Patton Vvilliage, TX or as I like to refer to it.... Speed Trap ,TX. Hope this helps.
Tushhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
BpsDaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

I took the class and had the ticket dismissed. My .02
BpsDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Just take defensive driving. You can even do it on-line now. The ticket will be taken off your record and it should not affect your insurance rates. FYI, there are many drivers on the road who probably could learn a few things from that class. It's not a complete waste of time as some people seem to think .
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Lrover.....Call it a Driving Award...sounds much cooler.....
As to your question....Its been 10-15 years since I had one...I got one, signed up for DD. Never took the class. On the last day that I had to turn in my completion certificate, I just paid the ticket.....A few months later I checked my driving record, It was clean.....I did the same thing a couple more times and never had them show up on my record......Things may have changed by now though......Sign up for DD, hire someone to take the course for you
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillipsie County., Kansas & La.

U guys are Super Stars......thanks for all the information!!!
I just called and learned the Deferred Adjudication is $97 plus a copy of D.L. and insurance. If no ticket in the state of Texas in 90 days then I pay the rest of the total fine of $135 for a GRAND TOTAL of $235!
Any thoughts on this is also welcomed. She also offered Defensive Driving ($107) with 90 days to complete.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
U guys are Super Stars......thanks for all the information!!!
I just called and learned the Deferred Adjudication is $97 plus a copy of D.L. and insurance. If no ticket in the state of Texas in 90 days then I pay the rest of the total fine of $135 for a GRAND TOTAL of $235!
Any thoughts on this is also welcomed. She also offered Defensive Driving ($107) with 90 days to complete.
Deferred Adjudication, should only apply to the city or town from which you recieved the ticket! Was it county, city or DPS?
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
west texas mangler

dd sucks.

but go to the class ... dont do the video rental one ( I did my last one like that ) its terrible.

The class is better... They take the same amount of time ... you cant cheat the video.

At least in the class you see hot chicks

I would pay the extra fro DA just to not do either.
( I was told (here in San Antonio ) I could not do DA until im 25 on my last two tickets )

If you do the class or the video do them now... they make a killing on a "rush on your certificate " which they know everyone last minutes

I average one ticket a year (almost down to the day that Im allowed to complete another DD to keep it off my record )

I would not just pay it though ... Police officers tend to give me a break because I have a clean record plus your insurance will go up

Last edited by west texas mangler; 12-04-2008 at 04:37 PM..
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
Fishndadio
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason Co. and Ellis Co.

You get a small discount on your insurance if you take DD!! Do the internet version!!

Isn't it called deferred disposition now??? Whatever that means!!
Fishndadio is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
zanemanaggie
Six Point

Hunt In: all over tejas

defer and defend till they lock you up man, no fear!
zanemanaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
leebtattoos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: lampasas, sabinal, and where ever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENKILLER View Post
See if they will do deferred adjudication! (sp) you still have to pay...If they will it is most likely 90 days probation as long as you don't get another ticket in their city!
x2
leebtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
Dreamer1
Ten Point

Hunt In: 2014 Alberta(bear),Ontario(moose), OH(BIG Whitetails),Texas & filmed in NM,WY,MT, & OR

Hey Oscar,
You should have come up and taken DD class with Kimberly on Monday!
She took it at Joe's Crab Shack, comedy thing.
I took the same class last year.
Great people watching... you'll meet some interesting people in a defensive driving course.

Take the class with your wife and you can knock down your combined auto insurance bill as well.
Dreamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

fix 'em a sauce piquant or crawfish etoufee' and see if you can bribe them to make your ticket disappear
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #19
Huntjunkie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Giddings, Bracketville and Kansas

GET A TICKET ATTORNEY! For about 150.00 they make it go away and it never goes on your record. I have used them 4 times now for myself and family members and not one ticket stuck. Do not pay it do not take DD or def ajud. GET A TRAFFIC TICKET ATTORNY. Best 150.00 you will ever spend.
Huntjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
scubasteven25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Idaho

Defensive driving all the way. You have until well into 2009 to get it completed.
scubasteven25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #21
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Take DD. You might learn something and it will save you money on your insurance. With the exception of a couple of coverages, it will reduce your insurance premium by 10% and it's good for 3 years so you'll save way more than it costs to take it. Plus it keeps the citation off your record.

Believe it or not, a lot of folks don't realize you can take DD just for the discount and learning experience. Many folks think you have to have received a citation to take it.

Deferred adjudication will also keep the cite off your record but does not give you any discount on the insurance.

Trailboss
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
A&M 90
Ten Point

Deferred Adjudication.

That way if you get another ticket in a jurisdiction that won't offer Deferred Adjudication, then you can take defensive driving.

Remember - you can only take defensive driving once a year for purposes of dismissing a traffic ticket.

Also - paying the ticket adds points to your driving record. You don't want that.

A traffic ticket attorney is great, but the Court may require Oscar to be present in Court. (Even though I think there is some language in the Code that says an attorney can handle a case without the client being present) I think you're mostly banking on the officer not to show up. Less likely in smaller jurisdictions.

My .02
A&M 90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
A&M 90
Ten Point

Trailboss,

If you take DD to dismiss a citation, can you use that same course to get the 10% discount?

I'm one of the nerds that takes DD for the 10% insurance discount.
A&M 90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #24
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Yep.....do the defered. Im sure you dont get many and 90 days goes by pretty quick. Usually the cheapest way out.

Ticket attorney advice is cool....as long as the particular P.D. doesnt discipline thier officers if they "miss" court. Becasue all a ticket attorney does is drag your case out...appeal it to the county it was issued in, and ask for a Jury trial in County court...They are hoping the cops dont show up 8 months down the road. If they are required to by their department to show up..your pretty much screwed because county court judges HATE hearing class c tickets in thier courts...
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #25
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County
Default Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntjunkie View Post
GET A TICKET ATTORNEY! For about 150.00 they make it go away and it never goes on your record. I have used them 4 times now for myself and family members and not one ticket stuck. Do not pay it do not take DD or def ajud. GET A TRAFFIC TICKET ATTORNY. Best 150.00 you will ever spend.
I have never used one for a ticket. What is their process for getting it taken care of?
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
Bullydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson / Throckmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtechlady View Post
I have never used one for a ticket. What is their process for getting it taken care of?
Read my post above.....but basically they Appeal your citation to the County Level....Ask for multiple resets and drag your case out for months. They are banking on the officer NOT showing up after months of resets . If the Officer does show up, your most likely out your 150, PLUS your fine and court costs.

Depends on where you get the ticket, and what that particular departments policy is on officers appearing in court. Most have to be there or face internal discipline for failing to appear in court.
Bullydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Read my post above.....but basically they Appeal your citation to the County Level....Ask for multiple resets and drag your case out for months. They are banking on the officer NOT showing up after months of resets . If the Officer does show up, your most likely out your 150, PLUS your fine and court costs.

Depends on where you get the ticket, and what that particular departments policy is on officers appearing in court. Most have to be there or face internal discipline for failing to appear in court.
Sounds like a big gamble. I did defensive driving for one a couple of years ago and it wasn't bad at all.
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

OT..........RUN!!!! live the life of an outlaw brotha!

Na just pay it and be done. Most of the defensive driving is a freakin joke anyway.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #29
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 90 View Post
Deferred Adjudication.

That way if you get another ticket in a jurisdiction that won't offer Deferred Adjudication, then you can take defensive driving.

Remember - you can only take defensive driving once a year for purposes of dismissing a traffic ticket.

Also - paying the ticket adds points to your driving record. You don't want that.

A \
Exactly, I got a ticket outside of Brackettville. They do not offer deferred adjudication, and I had taken defensive driving 11 months before.....basically I was screwed.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #30
Abbott
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards County and Southern Illinois

do the defnesive driving and tell your insurance company that you took it and most of them will give u a discount on insurance.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #31
Ace141
Six Point

Hunt In: Iraan, San Angelo, Fairfield IL, Custer KY, Del Rio NRA Land or Private Land in Fredricksburg

DO NOT DO DEFERRED! If you get another speeding ticket then they will fine you twice if you do deferred! Go for the Defensive Driving the videos suck but you wont have anything on your record
Ace141 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
trailboss
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 90 View Post
Trailboss,

If you take DD to dismiss a citation, can you use that same course to get the 10% discount?
Yes

Trailboss
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #33
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Deferred! If you do DD the record is still in the data base.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #34
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
TBH Braintrust..........Should I just pay the ticket and be done with it or take the class? What happens in either scenario?
I would prefer just to pay since my time is limited.......especially during bow season! I do realize I can take it at home or go to a class.
Details:
City of Rusk, Texas:
Posted: 40 mph
Clocked: 63 mph
Oh, I was driving home late night from the Hagerman trip when I got it.
call me.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #35
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Call this guy. I hear he like to HAMMER the law down people's throat, and for 40% you can retain him!!

http://www.jimadler.com/index.php
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #36
razor
Four Point

Hunt In: Nolan River

if you have a CDL then all you can do is pay the Ticket.
razor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top