Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Post Supressor Questions?

Old school here....so educate me!

*Fee's involved and process for approval
*What benefit other than easy on the ears do they provide?

Again, no experience with them but I'm eager to learn...thanks GS!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
h2447intx
Ten Point

Well easy way is trust, lawyer cost for trust 250-400 depending on who you use to draw up the trust.

Suppressor price, again what do you want 200-1300+

Tax per suppressor 200

Purpose, quite the blast , can improve or maintain accuracy, works like a brake and reduces felt recoil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
h2447intx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
h2447intx
Ten Point

Look on silencer shop .com, you can pay for trust , suppressor and tax stamp all in one purchase.

Then all you pay for the next suppressor /short barreled rifle etc.
Would be cost of item and 200 tax stamp.

The trust is a one time only purchase and will be used for future
Purchases

Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
JustinJ
Ten Point

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since they did away with the LEO signify for individuals, I think the buying process is no easier by using a trust anymore. I believe the only benefit of a trust now is for estate planning (if you die).

I'll still use my trust because I got it before the rule change.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
wickll
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties
Default paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since they did away with the LEO signify for individuals, I think the buying process is no easier by using a trust anymore. I believe the only benefit of a trust now is for estate planning (if you die).

I'll still use my trust because I got it before the rule change.
I have just started the process. From what I understand, a trust would not be of much benefit to me. I ordered the suppressor. Once it arrives at the dealer, I will need my "passport " type photo, finger print card, and I believe it is called the Form 4. Sheriff is not required to sign off. We have to wait for the suppressor because the serial number is required.
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
LHPanther
Eight Point

Fees/process already answered above. As far as reasons for gettin one....or 5 lol...really can't imagine shooting without them now. So easy on my ears and on the people around me. Recoil isn't really a factor on any caliber now. You can shoot all day without getting wore out. As a result, you should be able to develop some better shooting habits. As far as hunting with them; you can literally hear the bullet hit the animal, I can watch the animal get hit through my scope since the recoil is so minimal and I have had quite a bit of success with getting another shot at an animal during the same sit. Seems as if the deer have a hard time figuring out where the noise came from. Be aware, once you buy 1 can, you will almost certainly want more
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #7
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Texas

If you have a wife that you like, you need a trust.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Still Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

One item.. for the trust...The trust allows other family members to be listed and to also have access to the suppressor
Still Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
One item.. for the trust...The trust allows other family members to be listed and to also have access to the suppressor

Also friends. Going the Trust route is a HUGE advantage IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Supressor Questions?

As mentioned trust is still the way to go even with additional red tape. There are many benefits as mentioned.

Pay a lawyer well versed in NFA laws to draft your trust. Yes it's more costly but well worth it. I used Sean Cody and will continue to recommend him because of the "service after the sale" I continue to receive.

Rough number to chew on:

$300 for the trust

$300 and up for each can depending on what caliber/features/construction materials/attachment methods, etc.

$200 tax stamp for each one purchased.

You will want more one you have the first one. It's a freaking addiction.

I originally wanted only 3......

Last edited by Mike D; 01-10-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #11
wickll
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties
Default trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
If you have a wife that you like, you need a trust.
Not to hijack thread but can you elaborate? My wife has no interest in shooting or hunting. It might save a some paperwork if something should happen to me. But if I pass away, she would have no interest in keeping the suppressor.
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #12
h2447intx
Ten Point

The issue would be that your wife would now be in possession of a regulated class three fire arm , with out proper back ground, hens illegal possession.

The trust is easy and helps with wife or kids.

Still the best route in my opinion

Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #13
DCT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2447intx View Post
The issue would be that your wife would now be in possession of a regulated class three fire arm , with out proper back ground, hens illegal possession.

This! If you are at work and your wife/kids has access to your safe where it's keep they are now in violation of the law.
DCT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
h2447intx
Ten Point

I d I nt know exactly how it works , becouse the item has to have a residence, possession , ownership, or use, for me the trust solves any posible future problems.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
Bazo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

How would you begin to choose which suppressor to get? There are so many different kinds.
Bazo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
How would you begin to choose which suppressor to get? There are so many different kinds.
1. decide on budget
2. decide on caliber(s)
3. lots of internet research ... google, youtube, published data/literature, etc..
4. if available in your area - range day at local shooting club for 1st hand experience
5. ask plenty of questions ... document and write down the answers for comparison
6. decide on what works best for you

I went with the Dead Air Mask rimfire and a Dead Air Sandman Titanium 30 caliber suppressors. Gamaliel Shooting Supply had a monthly special and it was around $900 for both cans

http://www.gamaliel.com/nfaitems/silencers.asp
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
topshot
Ten Point

if someone in the trust, friend for family member, screws up by committing a crime (either related or unrelated to the trust) and is charged/convicted, what implications does that have on the trust?
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
texsdr
Six Point

Hunt In: Africa,Dryden, Abilene, Utah, Wyoming

In my opinion, you may want to google the "Hearing Protection Act" that will be introduced in February before spending lots of money. You may not need it in the very near future! I have a "Solvent Trap" that cost $109.00 waiting for this ACT to be approved. PM me for more info.

“The Hearing Protection Act is about one thing: giving the law abiding citizens of our country the ability to protect their hearing while exercising their right to hunt and recreationally shoot without the onerous burden that the National Firearms Act places on suppressors,” he said.

They hope to position the bill the same way this time — not as a Second Amendment issue, but as a public-health effort to safeguard the eardrums of the nation’s 55 million gun owners. They even named it the Hearing Protection Act. It would end treating silencers as the same category as machine guns and grenades, thus eliminating a $200 tax and a nine-month approval process.
texsdr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #19
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickll View Post
Not to hijack thread but can you elaborate? My wife has no interest in shooting or hunting. It might save a some paperwork if something should happen to me. But if I pass away, she would have no interest in keeping the suppressor.
If you have a wife that you DO like, you need a trust. This assumes wifey knows the safe combo. You go hunting. Wifey home alone, with access to the NFA items. She is technically in possession of them, and if they're only registered to you, she has committed a felony. Likely to be enforced? No. Terrible if enforced? Umm, yeah.

If you have a wife that you DON'T like, you need a trust too. Texas is a community property state, meaning any property one spouse acquires during marriage is property of both spouses. Get divorced? Plan on splitting up your NFA collection 50/50.

Unless you want to pay me $300, I'll stop here. Call NFA lawyer Jim Willi and tell him Ben sent you. He is so good about answering questions with no pressure. He is the best NFA lawyer I've ever met:

James N. Willi
Willi Law Firm, P.C.
9600 Escarpment Blvd.
Ste. 745, PMB 34
Austin, TX 78749-1983
Main (512) 288-3200
Direct (512) 872-5304
Cell (512) 751-3229
jwilli@willi.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazo View Post
Do you have access to land? If so, start a thread in your area saying you want to get introduced to suppressors and invite someone out to shoot and show. If you don't have land, maybe ask to meet someone at the range and buy them lunch. Most NFA guys will jump at the chance to share the giggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post

35Remington hooked me up with a sweet deal when Gamaliel Shooting Supply had a monthly special and it was around $900 for both cans
FIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
if someone in the trust, friend for family member, screws up by committing a crime (either related or unrelated to the trust) and is charged/convicted, what implications does that have on the trust?
If you have a legit trust, like the one Jim Willi writes, it has specific provisions that deal with this kind of situation. It protects the other trustees and the trust property completely.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
Horitexan
Pope & Young

SC-Texas on here is a renowned expert on NFA and creating trusts. Plus, you get to help out a fellow TBH member and someone that's a regular participant of the sub forum. He is awesome!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Just got home from work and anxious to see what responses I got? Several answer some questions besides the OP I put up. One question, I may have missed it....my wife only shoots her sidearm and really has no interest in the rifles. However...I do have 3 son's and when my days are done they all go to them?? How does the trust affect this? I plan on calling the suggestions to get clarification but any "pre-call" advice helps.

Thanks all....keep 'em coming as once again, "this ole' dog is learning some new tricks."
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
clayg08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the Cactus Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsdr View Post
In my opinion, you may want to google the "Hearing Protection Act" that will be introduced in February before spending lots of money. You may not need it in the very near future! I have a "Solvent Trap" that cost $109.00 waiting for this ACT to be approved. PM me for more info.

“The Hearing Protection Act is about one thing: giving the law abiding citizens of our country the ability to protect their hearing while exercising their right to hunt and recreationally shoot without the onerous burden that the National Firearms Act places on suppressors,” he said.

They hope to position the bill the same way this time — not as a Second Amendment issue, but as a public-health effort to safeguard the eardrums of the nation’s 55 million gun owners. They even named it the Hearing Protection Act. It would end treating silencers as the same category as machine guns and grenades, thus eliminating a $200 tax and a nine-month approval process.

I am way overdue on starting the process for a suppressor, not only for myself, but for my kids. The above ^^^^ continues to make me question if it's worth the uncertain wait for something that might not ever pan out, or, may be drug out for many more months or even years. Do I just bite the bullet and do it now?
clayg08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Just got home from work and anxious to see what responses I got? Several answer some questions besides the OP I put up. One question, I may have missed it....my wife only shoots her sidearm and really has no interest in the rifles. However...I do have 3 son's and when my days are done they all go to them?? How does the trust affect this? I plan on calling the suggestions to get clarification but any "pre-call" advice helps.

Thanks all....keep 'em coming as once again, "this ole' dog is learning some new tricks."
Tell your lawyer to make your sons trustees, and to have the proceeds of the trust pass to the trustees who remain after the settlor (you) dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayg08 View Post
I am way overdue on starting the process for a suppressor, not only for myself, but for my kids. The above ^^^^ continues to make me question if it's worth the uncertain wait for something that might not ever pan out, or, may be drug out for many more months or even years. Do I just bite the bullet and do it now?
You would be a fool to wait. If the bill passes, suppressors will be impossible to find until production ramps up to meet the incredible demand of 50 million gunowners waking up and realizing they can walk into Academy and buy a silencer. The bill also includes a provision to refund the $200 tax that you would pay if you bought one today. Whether that is a sacrificial provision intended to be removed so as to appease the members of the House and Senate who are on the fence remains to be seen.

Buy one today, join the American Suppressor Association, and start having fun.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #24
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2447intx View Post

??What exactly happens when you get divorced? How can her name be removed from the trust, or another name added?
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
ChiefLA3
Nubbin' Buck

So difficult to get a can.
ChiefLA3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #26
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayg08 View Post
I just did paperwork for 4 stamps...that is exactly how much faith I have in it passing 'anytime soon'.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #27
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Probably a stupid question...can ya put a home in the same trust as the suppressor?
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #28
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I just did paperwork for 4 stamps...that is exactly how much faith I have in it passing 'anytime soon'.
I'm not counting on any real change real soon. Figure the whole capital will be nothing but a big cluster the first year. Hope I'm wrong.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #29
DRT
Pope & Young

No. An NFA trust is just for NFA items.

Gary
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #30
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
No. An NFA trust is just for NFA items.

Gary
Incorrect. Probably can't put a house in it, but it's not limited to just NFA items. Anything firearm related is ok if your lawyer writes the trust that way.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #31
DRT
Pope & Young

Not according to my lawyer.

Gary
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #32
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
??What exactly happens when you get divorced? How can her name be removed from the trust, or another name added?
Again, iffff you get the right trust, it will have a provision that states your spouse agrees to resign as trustee in the event of a divorce.

The trust that silencer shop sells allows your wife and adult kids to gang up on you and vote you out of the trust and take your stuff. That's one of the reasons I tell people to stay away from that product.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #33
DRT
Pope & Young

And I guess I should have said you shouldnt, not cant.

Gary
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #34
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

When you Google Sean Cody make sure you add trust to it. Just his name brings up some colorful sites!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #35
cmh2007
Ten Point

Sean is actually on this forum....I can't remember if it's under sean cody or texas gun trust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 AM   #36
cmh2007
Ten Point

Correction it's

SC Texas

Old 01-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #37
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Thanks to OP for starting this.
Will a can affect the ballistics of a .243 or .270?
Am I correct in assuming each can can only be used
Legally on one gun?

Thanks.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #38
cmh2007
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
Thanks to OP for starting this.
Will a can affect the ballistics of a .243 or .270?
Am I correct in assuming each can can only be used
Legally on one gun?

Thanks.

BP
No you can use one can across all your weapons if it is the proper caliber or under a 308 can on a 223, a 338 can on a 308 and so on.

As to affecting ballistics, no its a straight through muffler. The only thing it will do is affect the harmonics of the barrel itself because you are adding a weight to the end of the barrel

Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #39
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

I know some of this has been answered already, but here is my take on it, from my point of view.

Currently I have 4 suppressors in hand (3 more out on form-4's), and have been shooting through them for about 3 years now. There are several primary benefits for me.

The first is obviously that it makes a rifle so much more pleasant to shoot. At the range (my private range, no one else is on it) I often still wear ear pro, but I don't have to. And out hunting/calling where I don't wear ear pro, life is much, much better. Not only is it more pleasant, but protecting your hearing is always a good thing. It is probably too late for me (even though I do need to protect what I have left), but it is not too late for my kids. In addition to significantly reducing the noise, they reduce recoil as well. Just in general make shooting a whole lot more fun. My daughter pretty much refuses to shoot without a can anymore.

I do a lot of shooting out here where I work, and it is just barely outside of town. Suppressors make it much less disturbing to my neighbors, and also keeps folks out of my business so much. Totally silent? not at all. But it lowers the signature enough that it is not one of those "in your face" kinds of things to people within a mile or so. Enough that most folks further away than 300-400 yards really don't notice that much. The bullet hitting the steel is just as loud as the rifle is. Also out hunting they tend to confuse game, where they do not know where the shots are coming from. They can still hear it, but it doesn't overwhelm them. For an addicted coyote caller like me, that really helps.

You have a wife and kids. I know at least one of your sons is a big shooter from previous posts of yours. So, you need a trust. In your situation, there is not a good reason to NOT get one.

Use a good NFA lawyer. I used Sean Cody, but there are others as well. I promise you, you will end up with more than one can. Probably several more. Spend the $300, it is good insurance for the thousands of dollars you are going to end up having invested in this deal. Listen to the guys telling you this, they know what they are talking about. Get a good trust from a well known NFA lawyer, and getting it amended down the road is no big deal. Life changes as it goes along. Maybe your kids get married and you need to add their spouse to the trust. Whatever. Things happen in life, sometimes you need options. You need a trust written for you, not a cookie cutter trust off a website.

As for most of your other questions, once again, this is why you need a good NFA guy writing your trust. He can answer your questions and concerns not only on general issues, but ones that are specific to you, and write your trust accordingly. Call one of these guys and talk to them. Heck, call a couple of them, I did. The website of both Sean Cody and Jim Willi have tons of good information on them. Take the time to read through that stuff.

As far as what can to buy and start with, that is specific to you. But what I would say is that you want your first one to be kind of general purpose, one that can swap around. Do not get a dedicated 556 can for your first one. Get a 30 cal can that will take up to 300 WM. Get one that is good enough quality for precision rifle. Omega, Saker, one of the Sandman cans (I like the S and TI), SAS makes some good ones too, as well as TBAC. Any of those will do what your need, and they have excellence customer service if you ever need it. Keep it simple on the first one, and don't over think it. Probably the biggest decision is whether you want direct thread, or a QD type system. Direct thread I think the best deal out there is the Sandman TI. Heck of a good can for the money. But the Omega will go either ASR mount or direct thread. Then again, I really like the keymount system on the Sandman S...

Just some of my thoughts, you will get plenty from lots of folks. Take it all in, and make the decisions on what works best for you.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #40
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Many of the legal questions asked in this thread would be better directed to an attorney, like Sean Cody.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #41
35remington
Pope & Young

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
Many of the legal questions asked in this thread would be better directed to an attorney, like Sean Cody.
"regular participant"
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #42
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I know some of this has been answered already, but here is my take on it, from my point of view.

Currently I have 4 suppressors in hand (3 more out on form-4's), and have been shooting through them for about 3 years now. There are several primary benefits for me.

The first is obviously that it makes a rifle so much more pleasant to shoot. At the range (my private range, no one else is on it) I often still wear ear pro, but I don't have to. And out hunting/calling where I don't wear ear pro, life is much, much better. Not only is it more pleasant, but protecting your hearing is always a good thing. It is probably too late for me (even though I do need to protect what I have left), but it is not too late for my kids. In addition to significantly reducing the noise, they reduce recoil as well. Just in general make shooting a whole lot more fun. My daughter pretty much refuses to shoot without a can anymore.

I do a lot of shooting out here where I work, and it is just barely outside of town. Suppressors make it much less disturbing to my neighbors, and also keeps folks out of my business so much. Totally silent? not at all. But it lowers the signature enough that it is not one of those "in your face" kinds of things to people within a mile or so. Enough that most folks further away than 300-400 yards really don't notice that much. The bullet hitting the steel is just as loud as the rifle is. Also out hunting they tend to confuse game, where they do not know where the shots are coming from. They can still hear it, but it doesn't overwhelm them. For an addicted coyote caller like me, that really helps.

You have a wife and kids. I know at least one of your sons is a big shooter from previous posts of yours. So, you need a trust. In your situation, there is not a good reason to NOT get one.

Use a good NFA lawyer. I used Sean Cody, but there are others as well. I promise you, you will end up with more than one can. Probably several more. Spend the $300, it is good insurance for the thousands of dollars you are going to end up having invested in this deal. Listen to the guys telling you this, they know what they are talking about. Get a good trust from a well known NFA lawyer, and getting it amended down the road is no big deal. Life changes as it goes along. Maybe your kids get married and you need to add their spouse to the trust. Whatever. Things happen in life, sometimes you need options. You need a trust written for you, not a cookie cutter trust off a website.

As for most of your other questions, once again, this is why you need a good NFA guy writing your trust. He can answer your questions and concerns not only on general issues, but ones that are specific to you, and write your trust accordingly. Call one of these guys and talk to them. Heck, call a couple of them, I did. The website of both Sean Cody and Jim Willi have tons of good information on them. Take the time to read through that stuff.

As far as what can to buy and start with, that is specific to you. But what I would say is that you want your first one to be kind of general purpose, one that can swap around. Do not get a dedicated 556 can for your first one. Get a 30 cal can that will take up to 300 WM. Get one that is good enough quality for precision rifle. Omega, Saker, one of the Sandman cans (I like the S and TI), SAS makes some good ones too, as well as TBAC. Any of those will do what your need, and they have excellence customer service if you ever need it. Keep it simple on the first one, and don't over think it. Probably the biggest decision is whether you want direct thread, or a QD type system. Direct thread I think the best deal out there is the Sandman TI. Heck of a good can for the money. But the Omega will go either ASR mount or direct thread. Then again, I really like the keymount system on the Sandman S...

Just some of my thoughts, you will get plenty from lots of folks. Take it all in, and make the decisions on what works best for you.
Thanks and thanks to all the suggestions! Going to make some calls....