Cellular Trail Cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellular Trail Cams?

I've done some searching and I know it's been covered some before but looks like a good bit of the info may be out of date somewhat. Looking to try out a cellular cam.

Seems like there are a few different options but would like feedback from guys actually using them. So far mostly looking at covert or maybe spartan. Saw a wild game innovations one is on sale at Cabela's but I've never heard much good about that brand. My cell phone is currently on ATT if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks for the input guys, hope y'all had a good Christmas!

tried the covert , the lack of picture quality transmitted is annoying. was pretty much worthless unless your cam was 2 feet away from the target area.

love the spartan. even the low quality pic option is much better than the covert. ability to request hd on demand is even better.

havant tried any of the others.

Comment

cool I appreciate it cause I was leaning toward the covert. That's helpful. If it can't get decent pics its not worth the trouble.

Comment

I have two of the bushnell aggressor wireless cams, and here are my observations so far with about 3 months use. I bought the first one for our NM Mule deer hunt in the mountains which is 5 hours away. I ensured my buddy had ATT service first, which he did. Bought the cam and although it took some great pics of elk, turkey, coyotes and deer, I could not find a location where the wireless service would work. We verified my buddies phone worked at the same location we tried the cam, but no go, so that was a bummer. I bought a second one for use at a local property. It has worked fairly well, and I have to say that its kind of additing when those text messages show up, you just HAVE to go look and see the pic is going to be. We did notice that for whatever reason, it wasn't taking a picture of a deer when it should have been. I know this for a fact because we were watching the deer from the blind, but never got a single picture of the deer. No idea why though?? That same camera has taken many nighttime shots of deer though, and a few daytime shots, but not as many. So the jury is still out on the sensor. It may be a positioning thing, and I may have to try moving the camera.

The other thing I love about the camera is the ability to change settings remotely. My nighttime shots were too dark at first, so I was able to go in remotely and change the Nightime shutter speed from medium to slow. The pics blur a bit more, but I was able to get more range out of the IR flash and illumate the deer better. Battery life is hard to judge because it depends on how you have the camera set up. I haven't messed with the video mode yet, but do like the field scan option too. Used it, and like it for scanning fields or meadows. The wireless cams will also function as a regular trail camera, so you aren't stuck spending money on the data plan when you don't need it. Overall im happy with the one that is being used locally. I was disappointed that the NM set up didn't work. I plan to swap the cameras on our next trip out there and see if there is a problem with that specific camera, but I think it was just due to the mountainous terrain.

I also like the smaller physical size of the Bushnell. I will probably pick up the solar panel to go with the camera that is here locally so I can get more pics per set up. feel free to ask me any questions you have. I don't have a lot of time with the cameras yet, but they have been fun so far.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Bushnell Agreesor? Trailcampro's review is very good but they say it requires 3 bars (AT&T). Heck, I don't get 3 bars at my house!

Edit: rbljack posted while I was typing!
          Last edited by GLM; 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I've got 6 HCO Spartans (ATT glow version) and have used them for two seasons. I average about 100 pictures a day per camera from August thru February, and they have worked perfectly. There may be "better" cameras on the market, but for the price, I'll be sticking with these.

BTW my cameras are in NW Oklahoma where cell service is sketchy, and I've never had a problem with them sending.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
              Does anyone have experience with the Bushnell Agreesor? Trailcampro's review is very good but they say it requires 3 bars (AT&T). Heck, I don't get 3 bars at my house!

Edit: rbljack posted while I was typing!
              Only negative I've seen on the Bushnell is signal strength. I think it's due to the camera not having an external antennae like the Covert or Spartan has. I can't speak for the Covert, but I know the ATT Spartan will work in areas that my cell phone does not.

With hunting season coming to a close, unless you find a steal of a deal on a cell camera or just have to have one, I'm not sure I'd buy one right now. Cell camera's might be fixing to take another jump technology wise in 2017....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Cellular Trail Cams?

Love my Covert Code Black. Easy to set up and easy to operate. Good photos, strong flash and great customer service if needed.

Not sure how the above poster was having trouble with "2' from target area" but that's obviously operator error of some kind.

Last edited by Fishndude; 12-26-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I appreciate the input guys. Those covert pics are certainly good enough. How's the picture quality of the spartan cameras. Seems to be good reviews from what I can find online.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Love my Covert Code Black. Easy to set up and easy to operate. Good photos, strong flash and great customer service if needed.

Not sure how the above poster was having trouble with "2' from target area" but that's obviously operator error of some kind.

have any with deer closer to that tree line behind them? 2ft was half jokingly but anything beyond about 10 ft is super fuzzy. its not the cams fault...the picture size it transmits is too tiny. thats the biggest downfall of the cam. if you want the full size pic you have to go physically check it. vs telling it to give it to you.

Comment

Cellular Trail Cams?

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                      have any with deer closer to that tree line behind them? 2ft was half jokingly but anything beyond about 10 ft is super fuzzy. its not the cams fault...the picture size it transmits is too tiny. thats the biggest downfall of the cam. if you want the full size pic you have to go physically check it. vs telling it to give it to you.

A bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see what you mean. That image quality is pretty rough if they're not right in front of the camera. I'm mostly going to be using it to signal me for pigs and then go bust em with thermals so I'm not super concerned with picture quality but all things being considered I'd rather have a good picture if it can be had.

Comment

But wouldn't it be nice to spend less money for the camera ($289)less money for the service - ($75 year) and be able to tell it to give you the full quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a pretty clean picture there. How's the night time pics and where's the best place to buy? I've got some points at Cabelas to use but I'm sure they're awful high on these.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
                              That's a pretty clean picture there. How's the night time pics and where's the best place to buy? I've got some points at Cabelas to use but I'm sure they're awful high on these.
                              academy has them online for $289. found them same price a few other places but don't remember where. signal is awesome also, i have one area that only gets 1-2 bars and sends them fine.

give me a sec i think i have a few nighttime on my phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X