Shooting a die with spotted fawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting a die with spotted fawn

Who all has taken a doe only to find out she had a fawn with spots still on it and what did you do about the fawn. I just almost shot one when the baby came out of the bushes,I'm glad I caught myself in time.

I'm usually not in that big of a hurry to shoot a doe so there is usually plenty of time for any tag alongs to make an appearance.

Comment

I usually let them walk. The yearling may not survive. She needs to learn survival instincs from momma.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
        I'm usually not in that big of a hurry to shoot a doe so there is usually plenty of time for any tag alongs to make an appearance.
        Same here...take the momma and the babe has very little to no chance of survival. That spotted fawn could be a big ole' 10 point some day?

My TBH son was at our lease around Robert Lee this weekend and told me he saw a couple of does with fawns from the late rut with them. He voiced the same concern and passed...plenty of time to add venison to the freezer.

Thanks for the post......

Comment

I agree we you both this doe was at the feeder for almost 10 min before the baby stepped out. I would never take a doe knowing she had young. But my question was would you also take the fawn or leave it to its own knowing it might not make it.

Comment

If I did happen to kill a doe that had a small fawn then I would probably let the fawn go in the hopes that somehow it survives. If I killed it then it would have zero chance of survival. On the flip, if it's still on momma's milk then I have no clue.

Comment

Sho would be tender tho!lol

Comment

I always try to cull the does with out fawns. Figure those are the ones to get rid of first for management purposes. Now we have seen a much better fawn/doe ratio.

Comment

This time of year you should focus on taking does that do not have fawns, spots or not. Does by themselves are usually barren and are not adding anything to the ecosystem. They're merely using up resources, so take 'em out whenever you see them.

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

They get a pass. Let em grow up and learn from momma.

Comment

The first lease I was on, and the first time I had ever hunted in Texas I killed a doe at the feeder within minutes of her showing up. She died just yards from the feeder. I got down out of stand and walked to her to apply my tag. As I approached I noticed 2 fawns off to my right at about 30 yards. They had no fear of me and refused to leave. I finally scared them off and they left. Ever since then I never shoot a doe unless she sticks around for a while and I have surveyed the area. I guess it kinda stuck with me. I really don't need meat that bad and it has also taught me that bucks will also hang out in the shadows before they come to feeder.

Comment

coyotes focus on hunting fawns, keep mother around!

Comment

Do y'all ever see fawns that hide out or hang back while moms at the feeder?
                            I'm sure it happens just curious. Every fawn I've seen while hunting is glued to moms hip when they come in to the feeder.

------------------------------------

Violence never settles anything.
                            -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                              coyotes focus on hunting fawns, keep mother around!

This^^^^. I usual wait until later in the season to shoot a doe.

Comment

Working...
                              X