Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Dallas Cowboys 2016 season thread

This is our year! ..

Seriously though should have started this earlier but I keep forgetting. We had a great thread going last year even though the Cowboys tanked with Romo out. Lets keep all Cowboys talk here like in past years so as not to clog up the ATC...

Great preseason game tonight. Looks like there are a lot of new things to be excited about this year. Prescott, surprisingly, looked very poised for a rookie in back to back games with the first teamers....Morris looks like he is in healthy and in his old form.... and of course Romo and the first team O looked great for two series except for some penalties. Jury is still out on the defense with injuries and all the suspensions. Hopefully they can keep it close while Romo and crew go to work.

Hoping for a good season with no Romo, Dez or Oline injuries..

Name:  puro pinche.jpg
Views: 5341
Size:  30.5 KB

Last edited by Smart; 08-19-2016 at 09:47 PM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
waterdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: llano

x2 our year!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
kenfa03
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin, Crockett Counties

Dak gonna give Tony a run for starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kenfa03 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Go Cowboys!
Really liking how Prescott has been doing. Morris looked pretty good tonight

Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Oh yeah! One of my favorite threads of the year!!!

Go Cowboys!!!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
Chad C
Pope & Young

Call Canton, Dak is coming.

Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Go Cowboys!
Really liking how Prescott has been doing. Morris looked pretty good tonight

Morris might be the pickup of the offseason. He looked healthy and in past seasons form.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfa03 View Post
Dak gonna give Tony a run for starter.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to proclaim this.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Morris might be the pickup of the offseason. He looked healthy and in past seasons form.
He looks really good running the ball and better yet he sounded like a very intelligent and humble young man when interviewed. He should fit in really well.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
I was wondering how long it would take someone to proclaim this.

LOL.....Right! Goodness!

I do feel a little better about our backup QB as of right now. Of course defensive schemes and reads will get a lot more complicated in the real games for a rookie, but he at least passes the eye test so far.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #11
Irish_25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

Only one QB I want to have the ball against teams like Giants and Eagles and down by 10 or so, and that's Romo provided he's healthy. Dak is looking great in preseason and looks like he can be a viable backup for a short time if needed. We need to pump the breaks on all the Dak should be starter nonsense.
Irish_25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Can't wait to get this season started and throw that last one in the trash. We don't have the pieces on defense to go all the way but this is a Super Bowl caliber offense with Elliot added to this beast of an O-line, Dez, Witten and Beasley. We might be ok at defensive back but unless these unknowns at D-line play out of their minds and surprise the whole league, I see us winning the NFC East and getting bounced in the second round. Maybe next year with the rookie LB they drafted in the second round, Byron Jones with some more experience and Lawrence in his prime, and if we have another impact draft....MAYBE next year would be our year. Regardless, GO COWBOYS
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
waterdog
Pope & Young

next thu boys vs seahawks with Trevone Boykin hes having a great preseason
Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
MBV77
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

If Dak Prescott is taking meaningful snaps for an extended period of time during the regular season then we'll be screwed. We need Romo to stay healthy for all 19 games this year.
MBV77 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

I still feel like we are one step forward and two back with the stupid penalties. Optimistically waiting for the season opener!
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #16
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
I still feel like we are one step forward and two back with the stupid penalties. Optimistically waiting for the season opener!
Did you pay any attention to those penalties ?? Some of the worst calls I have seen.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #17
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

This would be a really good opportunity to reflect on what is right in front and lower the expectations from this group and owner.
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
flatlander
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I enjoyed watching Prescott play college football and think the Cowboys made a good choice in picking him up, but if he's going to be successful he's going to need time, training and an NFL education. He's a good QB now, to be a really good QB he's going to need a few years.

So yea, Romo needs to stay healthy. It just doesn't take much to knock him out though, I think Vegas has the odds set at him being out in 6 or 7 games. I sure hope they are wrong.

Either way, im sure excited about having football back.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
I like him, Elliott is the pick up of the off season, those 5 yard runs that Morris had would of been 10-20 yard runs or to the house had Elliott been the ball carrier.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #20
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Did you pay any attention to those penalties ?? Some of the worst calls I have seen.
Not really, I was working outside and trying to watch the Olympics at the same time. Just felt like the first couple of series reminded me of the last couple of years. Struggle for a first down to have it brought back for an offensive hold. Time will tell. Hope we kill it this year. Lord knows it's time!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I like him, Elliott is the pick up of the off season, those 5 yard runs that Morris had would of been 10-20 yard runs or to the house had Elliott been the ball carrier.
I wasn't referring to the draft.....but Elliot hasn't shown **** yet. I hope he does what you say but he's still a rookie and I'll refrain until he shows me something.

Last edited by Smart; 08-19-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Old 08-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #22
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
This would be a really good opportunity to reflect on what is right in front and lower the expectations from this group and owner.
Really ?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 PM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not really, I was working outside and trying to watch the Olympics at the same time. Just felt like the first couple of series reminded me of the last couple of years. Struggle for a first down to have it brought back for an offensive hold. Time will tell. Hope we kill it this year. Lord knows it's time!
Was there a penalty in the second series? The first series had three in a row but the second series was pretty clean. That being said there were some BS calls by this crew tonight on both sides. Th unsportsmanlike with the facemask on the Cowboys was Miami all the way on both calls.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #24
Swampa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Was there a penalty in the second series? The first series had three in a row but the second series was pretty clean. That being said there were some BS calls by this crew tonight on both sides. Th unsportsmanlike with the facemask on the Cowboys was Miami all the way on both calls.
I tried looking it up, but couldn't find any stats by quarter/series. I may have been wrong, but it seemed like what I saw was a lot of the same as before regarding penalties. Total for the game appears to be 12 for 113 yds. Not trying to poop on the party, just hoping for a nice turnaround!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #25
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I tried looking it up, but couldn't find any stats by quarter/series. I may have been wrong, but it seemed like what I saw was a lot of the same as before regarding penalties. Total for the game appears to be 12 for 113 yds. Not trying to poop on the party, just hoping for a nice turnaround!

There were 3 holding penalties in the first three plays of the first series, all negating big gains. We punted. Other than that the O was pretty good as you can tell by the score. I know 2 later penalties were BS...but Dak took the next one in for the score and the defense held them on the bogus facemask

Last edited by Smart; 08-19-2016 at 10:57 PM..
Old 08-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #26
Irish_25
Ten Point

Quote:
The first drive was awful for the boys with penalties. The second drive they shredded Miami and drove right down the field for a TD without any penalties I believe. And this crew did seem a little flag happy the whole game plus the nfl is experimenting with an extra official this week for a total of 8 on the field.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #27
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Exclamation

Smart, it's about time you got this thread started~!

Go Cowboys!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #28
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Dak should do well if Tony goes down , he really looks good and the running backs are second to none.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the draft.....but Elliot hasn't shown **** yet. I hope he does what you say but he's still a rookie and I'll refrain until he shows me something.

Oh I agree about Morris, not only a good back but a great locker room presence. Mark my word, Elliott will tear it up barring injuries.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #30
niceg3s
Ten Point

Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.

Dak did well. But I thought both the Rams and Dolphins defenses looked confused at times and also the best 11 were not on the field. This doesn't take anything away from Dak, he made the throws, it's just not fair to compare this to regular season games. I hope he does develop and take over for Romo, but it's too soon to say. Seattle will be a better test.

Zeke better get on field.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #31
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Dak is very athletic and appears to have all the physical "tools" to be an excellent qb. The big questions will be: 1) will he be able to mentally put it all together and 2) can he get the job done when coaches start game planning for his strengths? I personally like what I see so far but I am not a professional scout. Let's hope he can grow up while watching Romo over the next couple of years and not by getting thrown straight into the heat of battle due to injury.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #32
Irish_25
Ten Point

What impresses me about Dak is you can see him go thru his progressions and even look the safety off. That's something rookies usually don't do right of the bat. Yeah its only been in preseason play but he has been impressive so far. Just needs to keep taking those steps improving.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #33
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_25 View Post
What impresses me about Dak is you can see him go thru his progressions and even look the safety off. That's something rookies usually don't do right of the bat. Yeah its only been in preseason play but he has been impressive so far. Just needs to keep taking those steps improving.
It is only preseason play, the only measuring stick you have is to look at what other quarterbacks have done in the same scenarios, I would say that Dak meets or exceeds what the best quarterbacks have done in those same situations, hopefully he does well, I believe he will.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #34
waterdog
Pope & Young

dez out this week with a concussion
Old 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #35
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Quote:
This is our year! ..

Seriously though should have started this earlier but I keep forgetting. We had a great thread going last year even though the Cowboys tanked with Romo out. Lets keep all Cowboys talk here like in past years so as not to clog up the ATC...

Great preseason game tonight. Looks like there are a lot of new things to be excited about this year. Prescott, surprisingly, looked very poised for a rookie in back to back games with the first teamers....Morris looks like he is in healthy and in his old form.... and of course Romo and the first team O looked great for two series except for some penalties. Jury is still out on the defense with injuries and all the suspensions. Hopefully they can keep it close while Romo and crew go to work.

Hoping for a good season with no Romo, Dez or Oline injuries..

Attachment 807801
Take a GIANT step back and then consider one more.

Prescott played against 11 guys that will be baggin groceries before week 1.

On the positive to support reaching the post-season...

The Giants have no O-line, receiver depth, or a decided RB. The Skins are a dumpster fire now and until they hire a real GM. The only mystery is Philly. 8-8 will make the play-offs this year for the Cowboys, but the season is over after Wild-Card week.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #36
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Zek will make his debut.
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #37
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

The Giants have no O-line, receiver depth, or a decided RB. The Skins are a dumpster fire now and until they hire a real GM. The only mystery is Philly. 8-8 will make the play-offs this year for the Cowboys, but the season is over after Wild-Card week.

Prescott played a series or two against most of Miami's 1st team D. Last I checked the guy named Suh wouldn't be baggin groceries. But that wouldn't support your over-exaggerated typical narrative .

All I hear from you is rabble rabble rabble..
Old 08-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:

Dude....go start a Texans thread, or saints or whoever the hail you're cheerleading for this year!

Last edited by Traildust; 08-24-2016 at 10:56 AM..
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Dude....go start a Texans thread, or saints or whoever the hail you're cheerleading for this year!

He's the worst kind of fan/critic. He's the "I don't have a team but I hate the Cowboys" fan type/expert/critic.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #40
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: PU..Parts Unkown

Giddy up and ride!

GO COWBOYS!
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #41
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
He's the worst kind of fan/critic. He's the "I don't have a team but I hate the Cowboys" fan type/expert/critic.
I thought he was a "fan until they fired Tom Landry" guy?
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #42
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Morris is gonna prove me right that they took Elliot to high.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Dallas Cowboys 2016 season thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Morris is gonna prove me right that they took Elliot to high.

Great.... Elliot is on Moser's hate watch alert
Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #44
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

No, I think Elliot is bad ***. But the Cowboys should have taken a pass rusher at 4 and Henry in the 2nd given how much they've invested in the line.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
Smart
Pope & Young

I think Elliot is going to make you eat those words when it's all said and done.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #46
Irish_25
Ten Point

I like it. Get Morris going in the second half when he is fresh and the defense has been chasing Zeke for 3 quarters.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_25 View Post
I like it. Get Morris going in the second half when he is fresh and the defense has been chasing Zeke for 3 quarters.

Yup yup...I'm a fan of Morris. I hope he can do to the other teams what he did to the Cowboys for several years.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #48
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Uh Dude...

I support the Cowboys, but I'm not blinded by the old history of the team. Wore a Staubach jacket and jersey before you were ever in or got out of diapers.

There. Now you know who I favor. Don't assume I'm a hater when I'm just being a realist.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 08-24-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #49
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: PU..Parts Unkown

The old saying in coaching.
If ya have 2 quarterbacks ya don't have a #1.
If ya have 2 good backs that's a blessing.
Let em both run.
Abcdj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #50
niceg3s
Ten Point

Hunt In: Own property in Smith/Cherokee.

Quote:
Uh Dude...

I support the Cowboys, but I'm not blinded by the old history of the team. Wore a Staubach jacket and jersey before you were ever in or got out of diapers.

There. Now you know who I favor. Don't assume I'm a hater when I'm just being a realist.
I've gathered that being blindly optimistic is a requirement for Cowboys fans. Want to guess how many games Romo plays this season? I'm thinking 5.
niceg3s is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top