Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
rgb
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba County; Colorado; Arizona; and the "H"
Default Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17 Season!

As the new Hunting Season approaches, I would like to call your attention once again to the Texas Youth Hunting Program (www.tyhp.org) – we arrange introductory, mentored hunt opportunities for kids ages 9-17 that are safe, educational, and affordable. Our mission is to increase the number of youth participating in hunting and wildlife activities, and our goal is to provide an opportunity for any youth in Texas who wants to go hunting!

A little background…..The Texas Youth Hunting Program began in 1996. TYHP is a program of the Texas Wildlife Association (www.texas-wildlife.org), and is conducted in partnership with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Since inception, over 60,000 youth, parents, and volunteers have participated in TYHP. It is my great pleasure to work for TWA on the staff of this program!

Here is an overview of TYHP:

• TYHP Hunts
o Occur in all parts of Texas, plus one in Colorado
 Private ranches to which landowners donate access
 State- and Federally-owned Wildlife Mgmt Areas, Refuges, etc.
o All game animals & birds, hogs, exotics, and varmints
o Firearm and Bow Hunts
o TYHP Hunts are Educational – when not in the field hunting, we conduct a variety of educational activities on hunting skills, natural resources, conservation, etc.
o Safety is top priority at all times – TYHP has an excellent safety record!
o We anticipate conducting 200+ TYHP hunts this season
• Structure of TYHP Hunts
o Usually on weekends
o Group format: at least 4 hunters
o A parent or guardian is required to accompany the youth
o Hunts are run by trained volunteer Huntmasters, assisted by volunteer Guides
o Meals are provided
o Lodging varies from bunkhouses to tent camping
o A Guide accompanies the youth hunter & their adult
 Acts as Mentor
 Before taking a shot, Guide & hunter agree it is safe, legal, & ethical
 Helps hunter learn game recovery, field dressing, and preparation for transport home
• Requirements for Participating in TYHP Hunts
o Age 9-17
o Hunter Education certification
o Valid Texas Hunting License, plus any applicable stamps
o Accompaniment by a Parent or Guardian
o No prior hunting experience required!
• Costs
o $150 Hunt Fee (covers both the youth and their adult)
o Scholarships available if needed to help with Fee

• Gear
o Hunters typically provide their own gear
o However, loaner firearms, bows, and camping gear is available – you need not make a big investment in equipment to hunt with TYHP
• Applying for Hunts
o Create Youth Account at www.tyhp.org
o Check Youth Hunt Schedule and apply for hunts that interest you (http://tyhp.alamark.com/youth-hunter...hunt-schedule/)
o You can apply for multiple hunts – in fact we recommend this to improve your odds of selection
o Applying is free – the Hunt Fee is only payable upon selection for a hunt
o You can apply for hunts even if you haven’t yet completed Hunter Ed
o Selection priority is given to youth who have not hunted with TYHP before
• Volunteering with TYHP
TYHP volunteers are some of the best folks anywhere – many are TBHers too!
 Volunteering with TYHP is a great way to directly impact the future of the hunting heritage in Texas
 Want to join in? We are always looking for more folks to server as Huntmasters, Guides, Cooks, etc.
 Contact me and I’ll help you get started
• Attention Landowners & Property Managers
 We are always looking for new places to hold TYHP hunts
TYHP can help you reach game management objectives (e.g. doe harvest)
 Important Info
• TYHP provides Liability Insurance to landowners at no cost
• Landowners are involved in hunt planning – they specify
o Dates
o Species to be hunted
o Quantities that may be harvested
o Lodging arrangements
• Landowners can be as involved, or un-involved, in the actual hunt event as they wish
 If you would like to host TYHP on your property please let me know!

If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly or call our office in San Antonio (800-460-5494).

Thanks!

Bob Barnette
TYHP North Texas Field Operations Coordinator
214-282-3697
bbarnette@texas-wildlife.org
Attached Images

rgb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

What a great program. Both of my boys will be applying for the first time this year. Thank you for what you do for these kids.
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
GarGuy
Pope & Young

This is a fantastic program. i participated in several with my daughter as she grew up. First class organization. thank yall.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Gladesgator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk County, FL and AR

There is a hunt in October on my ranch, last year there were a couple of TBHers that attended.
Hopefully, this year all four kids will be from TBH families. Get signed up!
Gladesgator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Poco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County
Default Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17 Season!

We participated last year for the first time and TYHP puts on a great hunt. Everyone involved treated us very well and my daughter had a blast. My oldest daughter got selected for another hunt but unfortunately I ended up at the ER the day we were scheduled to arrive on the hunt. Everything turned out ok with me but my daughter missed out on the hunt. I'll be putting signing them up again this year.

Here is a couple pics of the one hunt we went on.
Educating the hunters

It was Halloween weekend.

Finding here first Horney Toad

And the kill

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Poco; 08-08-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Poco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Bump for ya RGB. Wanted to point out a "special hunt", January 2017, at a special place that a lot of TBHs would sell a kidney for some years.

Looking forward to it.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Gladesgator
Eight Point

ttt
Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
Incline
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cottle County or Where Invited

I got a couple of kids that are dieing to go hunting. I'm going to the website now. Thank you. We have been trying to get drawn for a couple of years on tpwd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Incline is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #9
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I've been a huntmaster since 1999(thus my screen name , same time that I found TBH).
as many have stated it is an awesome experience for the youth and parents. The weekend will be fun and educational. Follow Bob's instructions above to sign up and pass the info to others you know with kids that want to learn about the outdoors,wildlife and hunting.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 34 New Mexico

Great program. Is Gene Rousch still participating?
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

Gene is not
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

I would encourage those of you who are thinking about participating but already have a place you can take your children to reach out to those less fortunate. The goal of the program is to reach those children who without the program may never get a chance to hunt or experience the outdoors with conservation in mind. Find a fatherless child or an inter city youth and mentor them on the hunt. Your reward will be much greater.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

The TYHP is a truly outstanding program. The benefits that the young hunters and their parents reap are immense. My son participated in the program until he reached his 18th birthday. We attended a number of hunts in the two years he participated and we always had a great time. We valued our time together during the hunts and enjoyed the camaraderie of others. I have enclosed photos of my son's two does he harvested during a TYHP Deer hunt in 2014 in the Fredericksburg area.

Regards,

Dave
Attached Images

Double-O-Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
NTTannery
Nubbin' Buck

Default Great Program

We do the tanning for this group. The hunt master are great guys to work with. It pleases us when you see the youth eyes light up when he see his first tanned trophy. And the parent or parents has a large smile on their face.
NTTannery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #15
Poco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I would encourage those of you who are thinking about participating but already have a place you can take your children to reach out to those less fortunate. The goal of the program is to reach those children who without the program may never get a chance to hunt or experience the outdoors with conservation in mind. Find a fatherless child or an inter city youth and mentor them on the hunt. Your reward will be much greater.

Rack,

I do agree with you to a point.

However the hunt we went on every one of the parents were hunters and several had leases including myself. Most signed there kids up for the same reasons I did. Its not about the hunt but more the experience and the kids interacting with other kids. These days kids including mine get caught up with there TV and phones. My daughter had a blast hanging out and being around kids she's never met before. The kill was just a plus for her. I thought that was the biggest thing about the weekend and why I will sign her up again.

Yes I can take my daughters to our lease everyday of the week but they will not get the experience she got from her TYHP hunt cause other than her sisters there isn't other kids her age there. Its still fun of course. Ive tried to take a couple of her friends out there before but the parents didn't go for it.

To do my part I have told many parents about the TYHP program.

Ray

Poco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Gladesgator
Eight Point

Poco,

I agree that a very important part of the weekend was seeing 4 kids that were strangers on Friday evening, leaving friends on Sunday afternoon. It was fun hearing them swap hunting stories with each other, who saw a Stag, what spooked the Axis, how they made the shot on the animal they got.

I am looking forward to this year's hunt, as much as the kids that get drawn for it. lol
Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #17
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

MY daughter is currently 8 but will be turning 9 during the hunting season. Can she be signed up for hunts after her bday now?
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
rgb
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillis View Post
MY daughter is currently 8 but will be turning 9 during the hunting season. Can she be signed up for hunts after her bday now?
Yes, she can create a Youth Account before turning 9 and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday. Just a reminder that she would need to get Hunter Ed certification prior to going on a TYHP hunt, and the minimum age for that is 9. So I would suggest finding a Hunter Ed class as soon as possible after her birthday.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb View Post
Yes, she can create a Youth Account before turning 9 and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday. Just a reminder that she would need to get Hunter Ed certification prior to going on a TYHP hunt, and the minimum age for that is 9. So I would suggest finding a Hunter Ed class as soon as possible after her birthday.
Thanks!!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Back to the top.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

^-------
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

My son went on his first TYHP hunt last season. As Poco mentioned above, we are involved for the camaraderie with other youth in camp. The ranch we hunted has tons of exotics and monster bucks. We got to watch a 180+" buck and an oryx feed, and while they were obviously not our targets it was an experience that he/we would not be able to have otherwise.

The hunt masters, land owners, and other volunteers are what truly makes these hunts an amazing experience and why we will sign up again this year and hope to be selected!

I share the TYHP story as often as I can with anybody that is interested.
Attached Images

salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
ddcainjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

TTT for an amazing program.
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #24
doeboy11
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Balcones Canyon Land Lee County

Double-O-Dave was that hunt in Stonewall at the Superhunt by chance?

Also as a huntmaster I look forward to these hunts also.
doeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #25
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy11 View Post
Double-O-Dave was that hunt in Stonewall at the Superhunt by chance?

Also as a huntmaster I look forward to these hunts also.
Hi Doeboy11 - PM sent.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #26
rgb
Eight Point

Thanks for all the kind comments about TYHP and great photos - we appreciate your support! Below is one of my favorite photos from this past year, a west TX aoudad hunt on which I served as a guide.

Thus far we have 35 hunts and 2 Hunter Ed/Fishing events posted on our schedule, and more are being added all the time, so please keep an eye on it:
http://www.tyhp.org/youth-hunters/youth-hunt-schedule/
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #27
Incline
Eight Point

I got my daughter signed up and she is ready to go. Is there a way to take 2 children, even if they means I pay extra? I wasn't sure if I could sign up my boy for the same hunts, or if I need to sign up for different ones for him.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #28
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incline View Post
I got my daughter signed up and she is ready to go. Is there a way to take 2 children, even if they means I pay extra? I wasn't sure if I could sign up my boy for the same hunts, or if I need to sign up for different ones for him.
My son and I attended a few TYHP hunts where more than 1 child attended. I don't know what type of financial arrangements were made, but only 1 child was allowed to hunt. The hunter was the same throughout the entire hunting period/time. In other words, you couldn't let one child hunt one day, and another one on another day. During the hunting periods, the other child or children remained in the camp. They were usually watched by one of the volunteers - usually the cook, and I don't recall any problems or complaints from anyone.

Regards,

Dave
Old 08-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #29
rgb
Eight Point

Quote:
It would be a much better choice to have your son apply for different hunts.

TYHP policy is that a parent/guardian can only bring 2 children on a hunt (1) with advance approval of the TYHP office, (2) if both kids are with the parent/guardian at all times, and (3) if only one firearm is taken afield. Thus it can be done, but it is really not recommended. Among the considerations would be accommodating the parent, both kids, and guide in a blind. Many hunting blinds get pretty cramped with just three people, so fitting a fourth person, even though two are kids, might not work very well. More importantly, the way this policy works is that only one kid would be the designated shooter on a hunt outing, so if you had two kids along on a weekend hunt their individual potential to be the shooter would be reduced 50%.

I will also point out here that one of our other policies is that no child is ever to be alone with any adult that is not their parent or guardian. This is similar to youth protection policies than many organizations follow, and is for the protection of both the youth and the volunteers.

Since the idea is to provide a great hunting experience for a child, plus have them spend quality afield with a parent, the best approach if you have two children is to have them apply for separate hunts. That way each child gets the maximum potential shooting opportunity, and the parent and child have each other's full attention.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #30
Incline
Eight Point

Thanks for the response. I fully understand what you are saying. I will just apply for additional hunts with my boy. Wish me luck!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #31
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Friday morning up.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #32
black42
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I think this is one of the best programs in the country. My kids have gone on tyhp hunts:
I have been part of my kids harvesting their first deer:

My sons first axis and turkey with a bow:

It comes down to getting to experience the smiles and success of young hunters:

If you have kids put them in for hunts you will have the time of your life there.
black42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

TYHP is a great operation. My son started hunting with them when he was 9 and had great experiences. He is 17 now and this will be his first season not hunting as a youth.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #34
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default Welder Wildlife Refuge

I was fortunate enough, after I became a Huntmaster, to run hunts on the Welder Ranch for five years. What a blessing it was to have them open up their facilities to us. The rewarding part for me know is when I see those youngsters that I took hunting around town somewhere and they reminisce about the hunt. Jerry Warden was my mentor when I came through and he developed one heck of a program that always included God and prayers during the hunts. As I mentioned earlier, reach out to those less fortunate and introduce a kid to hunting and the outdoors. As you can see from the post, your TYHP experience will touch lives.
Attached Images

Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #35
BeetleGuy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco View Post
Rack,

I do agree with you to a point.

However the hunt we went on every one of the parents were hunters and several had leases including myself. Most signed there kids up for the same reasons I did. Its not about the hunt but more the experience and the kids interacting with other kids. These days kids including mine get caught up with there TV and phones. My daughter had a blast hanging out and being around kids she's never met before. The kill was just a plus for her. I thought that was the biggest thing about the weekend and why I will sign her up again.

Yes I can take my daughters to our lease everyday of the week but they will not get the experience she got from her TYHP hunt cause other than her sisters there isn't other kids her age there. Its still fun of course. Ive tried to take a couple of her friends out there before but the parents didn't go for it.

To do my part I have told many parents about the TYHP program.

Ray

This is spot on!!! I will be entering my daughter in these hints and have a lease we hunt also. Every year I introduce someone to hunting and archery. I don't feel bad for wanting my kid to experience some other hunts with kids their age.
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #36
rgb
Eight Point

ttt...

We now have over 50 hunts on our schedule, and more are being added all the time!

http://tyhp.alamark.com/youth-hunter...hunt-schedule/
Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I'm going to look into this for my 13 yo girl
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #38
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Thursday bump.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #39
rgb
Eight Point

ttt....

Now 60+ hunts posted...

Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #40
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

I just signed up yesterday with this program. I will be providing a deer & hog hunt at my place for four youngsters this coming October. Looking forward it.
TexasTK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #41
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My boy has 1 more year before he qualifies for the chance
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #42
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
I just signed up yesterday with this program. I will be providing a deer & hog hunt at my place for four youngsters this coming October. Looking forward it.
Awesome!!
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #43
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Awesome!!
Back at ya , I saw where you have some hunts scheduled as well.
TexasTK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #44
Incline
Eight Point

Quote:
Back at ya , I saw where you have some hunts scheduled as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Awesome!!
I have two kids that I have signed up. It means a lot to our family. I hope to shake your hand in person if we get drawn, but for now please accept our gratitude.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #45
Devin
Administrator

I'm kinda partial to this group too....

Name:  B& D w deer & hog (Medium).jpg
Views: 641
Size:  197.4 KB

Name:  Video - B & Bucky Leaning back2 (Medium).jpg
Views: 660
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  Blaine & buck2 copy (Medium).jpg
Views: 649
Size:  297.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1975 (Medium).jpg
Views: 629
Size:  172.3 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #46
rgb
Eight Point

Quote:
Great - thanks TexasTK! We couldn't do this program without the generosity of landowners such as yourself!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #47
rgb
Eight Point

Quote:
I have two kids that I have signed up. It means a lot to our family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
I'm kinda partial to this group too....
It really is about the relationships and the memories!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #48
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Matagorda Co./Kerrville

I just became a huntmaster this summer, looking forward to taking some of my ag kids on the 2 TYHP hunts we have set up
huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #49
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Sunday bump.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #50
rgb
Eight Point

We've added 20 hunts to our schedule in the past week, and are up to 81 total, with much more to come!