Favorite magnum rifle powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have started reloading recently and one of the calibers I'm loading is 300winmag. I'm using Alliant Reloader 22, one, because it's listed in many manuals for the caliber and two, because they had it in stock at Gander.
    I recently read, however, that Alliant powders are "dirty".
    I'm assuming that means they leave a lot of carbon residue in the barrel.
    Do y'all agree that that's true, and,
    What is your favorite powder for 300winmag or similar magnums, if not RL22?
    Thanks

Have no experience with RL powders, but have always used H4831 or IMR 4831 as I recall, but it has been a few years since I reloaded the WinMag caliber.

Comment

Retumbo

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
        Retumbo

X2 or H1000

Comment

I'm using H1000 in my 7RM and 240 WBY with excellent results.

Very accurate, little deviation and very little drop off from hot to cold weather. Not the fastest powder in most books but I'm getting all the velocity I need...3050 from a 168 in the 7 and 3125 from a 115 in the 240. Both Bergers in 26 inch barrels. Both of these rifles are .5 moa tested to 600 yards and will ring steel from a cold bore at that range.

I had good success with IMR 7828 as well but saw a large drop off from Summer to Winter. I know it's going to happen with all powders but the 7828 was quite a bit.

Comment

Retumbo, 7828, h1000

Comment

I'm not sure I think they are much, if any, dirtier than anything else. I shoot RL19 in my '06 and RL15 in my .375H&H and .308. I have no experience with RL22. I'd worry more about how well you can get the load to shoot than having to clean 10 rounds sooner.

LWD

Comment

H1000 is my 6.5saum and 7lrm with 142 and 180's.
                Bullet weight has a lot to do with best burn rate.

Comment

H1000 in my 7mm RUM. Have also used H50 BMG also but have settled on H1000 and really, really like it.
                  In my 375 H&H I use RL15 and it is also excellent in that caliber.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm using IMR 4350 in my Remington 700 Ti in 7mm RSAUM. Running 3050 with 140 gr. Barnes TTSX. Very consistent velocity and sub MOA groups.

Comment

IMR 4350 in my 300 RUM

Comment

I hear good things about H4350 as well and know of some people (one on here) who run it in their 7STW's.

It was my next choice if the H1000 didn't perform in my 240.

I also agree with the above about Retumbo although I've used it very little...I see a trend here...

Comment

I use RL22 and 25 quite a bit in magnum calibers. I've not found it to be dirty.

Retumbo is also a good choice.

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

H1000 in my 7mm Rem Mag behind Berger 180's, in it's original Remington barrel I used IMR7828 behind 154 Hornady spire points. I try to match projectile weight to burn rate (heavier bullets get slower powders), and mostly use Hogden products now as they do seem to be less sensitive across a wider range of temps. I've also found it easier to find top velocity with single base, rather than double base powders.

I'm really liking H4350 in my .257AI as well........

Stu

Comment

I'm loading Hornady 168 gr AMAX bullets.

Comment

Working...
                              X