Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......
Default Bleaching your own skulls.........

I am not going to get into the cleaning part of the skulls, because there are many ways. The three most popular are boiling, emancipation (letting it soak in water for several weeks, and the use of dermitide (flesh-eating)beetles which is my prefered method (because I have a colony). All three require the removal of the hide on the animals head before starting.

Here is a pic of the bugs starting in on a hog skull and finishing up a couple of deer skulls.

Use Dawn dishwashing soap to degrease the skulls in hot water. It may take 2-3 trys. Once the skulls have been degreased you are ready to bleach. For skulls without antlers alls you need is a plastic shoe box that is taller than the skull and 20% peroxide in the liquid form (not the paste) from the beauty supply store. Probably will need 2-3 gallons. Set the skull in the plastic container and then fill the container up past the top of the skull with the peroxide. This process can take anywhere from 2 days to a couple of weeks. Just make sure you check it everyday. Also, make sure you use plastic gloves when messing with the peroxide. Once it is as white as you would like, rinse of with a water house and let it sit outside and dry off.....

Here are some pics of a javi skull before it went into the peroxide.......

And a picture of a whitetail skull unbleached next to one bleached

And a pig soakin' in the peroxide. I like to use the smaller container for whitail skulls and the large container for skulls I can completely submerge......

The basic same steps apply for the deer skull, with a few exceptions. You need to wrap the horns with a plastic trash bag taping them off at the base of the horns so none of the peroxide can get on them. You will also need a gallon bottle of the highest peroxide paste you can get. I think it is either 30% or 40%. After degreasing, set the skull in the plastic container with the horns resting on the sides of the container. Add the 20% liquid peroxide to the container and allow it to fill up just under where the base of the horns are. If you go past that you will end up bleaching the horns. This is where the paste peroxide comes in handy along with a squirt bottle. Fill the squirt bottle up with the paste and then spray on any bone that is left exposed out of the liquid peroxide. I do this once a day until the skull is as bright white as I want it to be.

some finished products:
My drop tine from last year

My javi from my bachelor party

Bones Bobcat

Bones Bobcat and Hog

My 8 pointer mounted on Xspots plaque

My favorite Euro mount that I have done

I also recommend that when you are done bleaching and are not going to use the peroxide for a while to put it back in the gallon container for storage. This will help keep it from evaporating.

List of items needed:
1. plastic shoe box
2. 2-3 gallons of 20% liquid peroxide
3. 1 gallon of 30% or 40% paste peroxide
4. squirt bottle
5. Rubber/Vinyl gloves
6. Funnel (serves two purposes, 1. to get the paste peroxide into the squirt bottle and 2. to get the left over liquid peroxide back into the gallon jugs.)

Here is a picture of the peroxides that I use

I hope this helps those of you that want to save money an get the satisfaction of Doing It Yourself......Please PM if you have any questions.
bowhuntertex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
TEAM SHARK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can!

Works great!! I have done both sharks jaws, deer and pig skulls.
TEAM SHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

You are the man...thanks Will!!!!!
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton Co., Concho Co., SW Colorado

So just let the pig skull sit in 20% for a week or so and pull it out? No need to brush any of the 40% cream on it?
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
So just let the pig skull sit in 20% for a week or so and pull it out? No need to brush any of the 40% cream on it?
As long as the whole skull is submerged you won't need to brush or spray any of the 40% cream on it. If the skull is too big, just flip it and submerge what didn't get bleached the first time.........
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

Awesome Will , a lot easier than the way I do mine , where did you get the bugs . How much for a pair ( male & female ) LOL

Chad
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Just holler at me when you need a skull done............
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
TEAM SHARK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can!

I also cheat a little and use white spray paint. You can't tell the differance. I then use clear coat.
TEAM SHARK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

I can always tell when someone has painted a skull white. It almost looks fake close up....from a distance they do look good though.......
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

[quote=bowhuntertex;998233]The three most popular are boiling, emancipation (letting it soak in water for several weeks, and the use of dermitide (flesh-eating)beetles

Emancipation?...Really???
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
TxTechBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brewster, Cooke and Clay County

When degreasing, it helps to keep the water warm. I use fish tank heaters.

Also, the more you degrease the less effort it takes to whitene a skull.
TxTechBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Live Oak, Duval

Not spraypaint - try white plastic primer from home depot, I have used this on some old skulls that were left outside for a period of time, tape off the teeth & horns, looks like real bone.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Well done Will. Finished products look outstanding!
Tex_Cattleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

[quote=Chance Love;999700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
The three most popular are boiling, emancipation (letting it soak in water for several weeks, and the use of dermitide (flesh-eating)beetles

Emancipation?...Really???
Thanks for making fun of me Chance ......I had a major brain fart I guess.......the correct method is called Maceration and I found some good information on it's process as well on the web that may help some folks out on that method....

Quote:
Maceration is just one technique used for stripping meat from bone by bone and skull collectors. It is easily done by placing a skull in a bucket with enough water to cover and let it sit for several days. Variables to this method of cleaning skulls are -
Length of Time - the amount of time you leave it soaking.
Size of Skull - the bigger the skull, the more to remove, the longer it takes.
Temperature - outside temperature in which your operation is taking place.
Freezing weather does not help the process.
Smell Factor - a consideration for your neighbors.

The length of time you leave a skull in the water is dependent on the size of the skull and how hot the climate is - warmer weather tends to speed up the process a bit. Now if you are good at putting together pieces and love puzzles then time is not a problem. Your smaller skulls can turn into puzzles when all the flesh has soften and the water begins to loosen the paper-thin seams where the cranial bones are joined. Although this makes it easy to remove the brain rather than trying to pick it out through that tiny hole the need to reassemble itty-bitty pieces of bone is not something most skull enthusiasts look forward too.

To solve the time problem because there are so many variables, make sure you check on your skulls daily.

A helpful hint for ease of checking is to use bags. Use a mesh bag (pillow cases work too) with larger skulls placing them in the bag then into the container of water. For smaller skulls instead of a bucket use a gallon size resealable plastic bag in a bucket. Use enough water to thoroughly cover the skull. Remove almost all of the excess air leaving lots of extra space for the bag to expand. Remember that as the maceration is in full swing gases (nasty smelly gases) are let off and can explode a sealed bag. Check that bag daily and release excess gases from it to prevent any mishaps.

Once the flesh of your project falls away from the bone (with a small amount of swishing in the water) remove the skull from the water and rinse it well. Some species, such as deer, in some areas might carry unwanted bacteria/diseases you might want to do the safe thing and soak each finished skull in a bucket of bleach water (ratio 1 to 10 parts respectively) for a short period of time (an hour or so), then rinse them thoroughly. Don't forget to check for lost teeth at the bottom of the bucket (or bag) before dumping the original water or any other container you used to soak your skull. This is where the gloves come in very handy. Skulls look so much more professional with most or all of their teeth.

Here is a list of items that might be useful and handy to have before starting:
Skull(s) - roadkill is a good source for these.
Buckets - various sizes depending on the size of item to be macerated.
Elbow-length rubber gloves - for the big jobs.
Surgical gloves - for the small jobs.
Apron - personal choice but handy for splashes.
Tweezers - to get the little bits off that are left.
Vicks Vapor Rub - helps to put a dab on your upperlip to cover some of the smell.

Maceration is a couch potato's way of cleaning skulls and bones - the water does most of the work for you.
I found the above information at the following website:
http://everything2.com/e2node/Cleaning%2520skulls
Old 10-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Good information - I've been wanting to do one myself. Thanks for posting.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
KYhunter
Eight Point

Thanks for the post, I was just asking about this earlier today, and I was going to post this very question.
KYhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Big Spec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas, Robertson & Zavala County

great information
Big Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack County

For a couple of years I just put a head on a fireant mound and it was clean in a couple of weeks. Last year my deer killed or moved 3 mounds and now I have a head with year old skin on it. How is the best way to remove it now?
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster View Post
For a couple of years I just put a head on a fireant mound and it was clean in a couple of weeks. Last year my deer killed or moved 3 mounds and now I have a head with year old skin on it. How is the best way to remove it now?
Maceration would probably be your best bet now.........Just let it soak for a week or two in water........
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #20
jyoung
Administrator

Hunt In: Burnett Co.

Awesome thread, Will!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #21
Jaspro
Pope & Young

Will I need to get you my Muley head for you to macerate it.
Jaspro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #22
stuntriderant
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mustang ridge, Elgin

Good idea will. Gonna get it done asap one of my deer and my ram. Whats up with the plaques? Pm me and let me know.
stuntriderant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #23
yakin ag
Nubbin' Buck

When macerating a deer head, if its a buck, do you sumerge everything (antlers included) in the water?

Would it be easier to purchase a colony of beetles? I've tried boiling, and quite frankly, I ruined an axis mount

Last edited by yakin ag; 12-11-2008 at 02:39 PM..
yakin ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
fordxpress
Four Point

Bleaching your own skulls is not hard, just takes a little time.
1. First you must have a pot big enough for your skull.
2. Add one box of baking soda to your water, this brings down the boiling point of water.
3. Bring water to a boil, then bring it down to a simmer, where water is barely turning, you don't actually boil the skull if you do you damage the skull.
4. Simmer the skull 4 to 6 hrs, depending on the size.
5. It is improtant that you let the pot with the skull cool down before taking out the skull. If you pull skull out hot, it will likely crack.
6. Gently remove meat, ligaments and what ever else remains on the skull, rinse with clean water when done.
7. Once all has been removed, you now need to degrease skull.
8. Buy some Dawn dishwashing liquid, along with some house hold amonia.
9. Place the skull in a big enough container, add the dishwashing liquid the more the merrier, add the amonia, about 4 quarts, the amonia will remove most of the bad smell and help the degreasing process.
10. Let the skull degrease for a week, when the solution looks like gravy, remove and repeat process for another week, degreasing is complete when there are no more yellow spots on skull.
11. Once skull has been degreased you can start the whitening process.
12. Purchase cream peroxide and quick white (white hair dye) from a beauty salon.
13. Mix about 1.5 scoops of quick white and 1 cup cream peroxide, mixture verys, mix together and apply with a brush to skull. This will whiten skull, once dry it will look like dried baking powder, repeat to desired whiteness.
14. Bleaching done.
fordxpress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
KCG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Delta County

Euro mounts are my favorite. I've done euros on several animals I've killed, but I prefer to leave the skulls a natural color. I clean and degrease them, but I stop there. Just a personal preference, your mounts look awesome!
KCG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #26
ATXBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction and Llano

Great advice - much appreciated! I have a friend who uses a power washer to get the flesh off the skull, and then he boils it in water to get the brain matter out.
ATXBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #27
cshunter
Nubbin' Buck

Default Takeing off the meat by boiling

If I take off the meat by boiling the skull of a buck, does it matter if the horns are in the boiling water? Thanks.
cshunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

don't boil it as it will make the bones brittle.....keep the water to a simmer and it will not hurt the horns, just don't let them touch the side of the pot. It could actually burn the horn. Use a rag or something like that to protect the horn where it may rest or touch the pot......
Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #29
Sippy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman/Brown

great info thanks
Sippy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #30
Ol Man
Ten Point

Thanks - have a Corsican head in the freezer I need to get done.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #31
bobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

One piece of advise keep the antlers out of the water.

When boiling/simmering the grease or oil's from the meat can saturate into the antlers. Usually is only noticeable when doing many heads in the same pot. If you keep your water clean it shouldn't be a problem
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #32
cshunter
Nubbin' Buck

Default Degreasing

Can you submerge some of the antlers in the degreasing solution without harm to the antlers?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #33
densonfrnc
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas

Thanks for the info
densonfrnc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #34
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshunter View Post
Can you submerge some of the antlers in the degreasing solution without harm to the antlers?

It may sometimes lighten the antler, but that is easily fixed with some antler stain.....
Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
cshunter
Nubbin' Buck

Where can I find a good antler stain? I have been meaning to find some for a previous skull mount I made which I accidentally bleached the base of the horns.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #36
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

either at Van dykes taxidermy or WASCO......they both carry a stain. I have also used old english with some success in the past.......
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #37
superslamhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: lbj

where do you get those beetles? And why do you like the beetle method the best?
superslamhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #38
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

there are several places to order the beetles from. Skull Works is a good place to order from. Beetles clean a skull better than any other method and they don't in anyway harm the bone. With a colony working properly you can clean a deer skull in less than 48 hours. I also like them, because I don't have to hang around while the skull simmers all day......
Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
ashx2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Coleman Counties

What kind of temperature/habitat is required to keep a beetle colony? Can it be just room temperature? I'm sure too much heat could be an issue, correct? I don't think the wife would be too happy if I wanted to start a colony here inside the house.......so it'd have to be the shed or mayyyybe the garage.

Greg
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #40
holepuncher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Checkout taxidermy.net they have all the answers
holepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #41
LWR2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Nice Work!

LWR2
LWR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #42
OUTLAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co./Colorado Co.

I've done several but never use the peroxide . Thanks on where to get the 30 to 40 % .
OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #43
Gringo23
Eight Point

Hunt In: Maverick County

"You need to wrap the horns with a plastic trash bag taping them off at the base of the horns so none of the peroxide can get on them."

Or - you can cover (smear it all over) the horns with Vaseline - this will keep the the peroxide from penetrating - then when your completely done, just wipe it off with a towel - I've done 6 or 7 like this and it works great.
Gringo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #44
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

may have to give the vaseline trick a try.....sure would be easier than using plastic bags......
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #45
TXArrowSlinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Huachuca, Benson, Bisbee, anywhere I am invited, and anywhere possible!!!!

Nice work. Thanks for all of the good information.
TXArrowSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #46
noskunks
Four Point

I've done some by boiling but how do you keep the teeth from fallling out?
noskunks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #47
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

You won't keep the teeth from falling out, just make sure you strain the water as you pour it out........
Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #48
stx_hunter
Spike

Hunt In: Eagle Pass

dude those are really white
stx_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #49
Bowtech Dave
Four Point

Default Finished

Here's my 2009 NM Elk Taken September 16th. I just finished it up using one of the methods above (no beetles). Still need to find the whitener, but it cleaned up great without it. Just need to polish/bleach the teeth.

Great post. Wish I would have found it before I started this one.

Dave
Bowtech Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #50
Marine1
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba Co.

Those are very clean! I am bleaching all my mounts this yr! thanks
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top