Official 2016 surf fishing thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much interest as I've seen lately about fishing the surf I figured Id start a thread for us to share knowledge, pics, advice, reports etc. Basically anything that deals with hitting the surf post it up.

Corpus/PINS report as of today...

A few whiting on shrimp in the guts.
    Shark fishing slowed down due to the drop in sea temp that went from 72 last week to 63 this past weekend. Before that many good sandbar sharks were reported. I read on another forum that the dreaded brown stuff that makes surf fishing very tough has already been spotted on some parts of the beach. I hope it doesn't stick around. Water color is looking great so if it stays warm them toothy critters will show back up soon.

The beach clean up was a major hit. Over 60 tons of trash was removed by over 700 volunteers. Amazing!! They also reported great driving conditions.

Ray

Thanks for the report! I hate the brown stuff. Two years ago it was insane!!!

Comment

I think I could read this one for a while.

Comment

Heres a pic at Bob Hall pier this afternoon. Great conditions.

Ray

Comment

Come on magic number 72!

Comment

I was out at the South Sticks (SBH) with some friends Saturday, only caught one whiting, but we were mainly hanging out for the kids to play. It was windy, but water color looked good.
            A buddy caught some drum and sheepshead in packery channel after leaving the beach.

Comment

Does anyone use one of those laser thermometer things to check water temps when driving down the beach? Always wondered how they would work.

Comment

Oh joy - a TBH thread we can all hang a sharp tooth into!!!!

72 - 78 degree water.....PINS becomes SHARKY!!!!

The stingrays will start to spawn around May and June. When they show in numbers, a show of Tigers and Blacktips during June, is on.

Cobia will migrate into our waters close, in decent numbers, around the same time frame. Stingrays and Cobia are the kick-off species, and my thought about this year is we will have our season start about 3 weeks earlier than normal due to the warmer waters now.

Comment

Aiming for the weekend of May 27 - 29, to gather the TBH Tribe on Padre Island National Seashore, for a group shark fish.

Anyone who wants to join, please post up, and we will start collecting names and plans, to get this Tail Rope Rodeo started!

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                    I was out at the South Sticks (SBH) with some friends Saturday, only caught one whiting, but we were mainly hanging out for the kids to play. It was windy, but water color looked good.
                    A buddy caught some drum and sheepshead in packery channel after leaving the beach.

Spending time on the beach with friends and family is awesome bud. We love it but don't do it enough. I plan to change that this year.

Ray
                    Last edited by Poco; 02-29-2016, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                      Aiming for the weekend of May 27 - 29, to gather the TBH Tribe on Padre Island National Seashore, for a group shark fish.

Anyone who wants to join, please post up, and we will start collecting names and plans, to get this Tail Rope Rodeo started!

TAIL ROPE RODEO!!!Lets do this amigos!!

Im in!!!!

Ray
                      Last edited by Poco; 02-29-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

For sleeping, many will bring tents and or rig a bunk in a truck bed. Some will sleep in lawn chairs right next to the shark rod and or campfire, so think of this outing as a big camping trip, mixed with fishing.

With as many bowhunters we have here, i'm sure food is not going to be a problem.

Anyone with a fast setup canopy, 4 legged with tie downs, haul it down. We can setup lawn chairs under the canopy and setup BBQ pits on the outside, on the downwind side.

I'll bring a Texas flag and flag pole, so those who are running late, can spot us a mile or so as they work down the beach to our fish camp.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post

I'll be putting this on my calendar. I've got my beach beauty rigged up. (Let's hope the 4WD isn't messed up)

Comment

Excellent Canoe! I know where we need to stick my big stick LOL!

Comment

Is it May yet?!?!?!?!? I can't WAIT!

Comment

Working...
                              X