Duval county.... poached buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duval county.... poached buck

I just read this article and find it interesting. What do ya'll think?

My main question is about the lacy act and private ranches setting up their own lease rules. In my opinion, breaking a ranch rule does not mean you are breaking federal laws. We don't have "check stations" in Texas, a private ranch may but that's not the same thing.

I will say that since it seems to be an on going case, if the guy from Idaho is found innocent, I bet there will be a pretty big lawsuit for slander etc.

Hunters are often faced with ethical dilemmas. While hunting in Texas, one hunter made a wrong turn when faced with temptation and it cost him more than he ever imagined. South Texas’ deer hunting is unique in that large ranches are managed for producing big whitetail bucks through carefully regulated harvests of mature deer, culling …

And on a side note, I've also seen that velvet trail camera picture before on a website. I cant remember if it was on this site or landsoftx, either way somebody was pretending that buck was on their place
    Last edited by Catarina; 02-22-2016, 08:23 PM.

I read this story earlier...did he not put a Texas tag on it? If so then I see it as immoral buy not illegal. ..Guess I'm a little confused?

Comment

Sounds to me the hunter didn't break any laws but just lease rules. Unless I am missing something I don't see this holding up in court.

Comment

What made lease policies = federal and state law? Article says he didn't tag the deer but how do we know the deer wasn't tagged. Reads to me like the guy is guilty of breaking ranch policy, not the law.

Comment

Yeah It was Posted on This Site for sure

Comment

I don't get it. The guy most definitely broke the ranch rules and undermined the management plan, but what law did he break?

Comment

Well if it's on the interweb then it has to he true..... and when did they change the law where you only had 2 buck tags in Texas??? Sounds a little off to me. I wonder if the guy who wrote this story is the same guy who took the photos of the famous "mega fawn"???

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Sounds to me the hunter didn't break any laws but just lease rules. Unless I am missing something I don't see this holding up in court.
                I would Bet It will come Down to what He Signed when He Got on The Lease

Comment

I think the lease was MLD. He failed to use one of the MLD tags to tag the deer, thus making it illegal. The lease members would have known that he killed a deer had he used one of the tags and filled out the log book, but he failed to do so. Even if he used a state tag, he broke the law if it was a MLD property.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                    I would Bet It will come Down to what He Signed when He Got on The Lease
                    Possibly. Does breaking lease rules make an act criminal? If that is the precedent to be set that will change the land scape of lease hunting. Very interesting

Comment

He put himself in the position of being told which deer he could shoot when he signed up with that bunch. The concept of someone telling others what deer they can shoot is definitely foreign to me, but if he said he'd play along with them and not shoot I guess he deserved it.

There was probably a lot of huffing and puffing in that camp after that happened!

Comment

Been on here earlier this year.

If he shot a deer he did not have permission to shoot then, to me, he poached it.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                          I think the lease was MLD. He failed to use one of the MLD tags to tag the deer, thus making it illegal. The lease members would have known that he killed a deer had he used one of the tags and filled out the log book, but he failed to do so. Even if he used a state tag, he broke the law if it was a MLD property.
                          So on MLD properties you have to use MLD tags and not your normal tags if you wanted if under the program? MLD is voluntary , I would think at best you/ranch would be kicked out of the program
                          Last edited by BrandonA; 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

" A pact was made among the hunters " Since when is that a state or federal law ? Not a nice thing to do, and nobody I would want on my lease, but I'm inclined to agree with the rest of you. No laws broken that I can see.

texas shag has probably hit the nail on the head. Don't know why I didn't think about this, since I was MLD on my place for five years. Duh !
                            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 02-22-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              So on MLD properties you have to use MLD tags and not your normal tags if you wanted if under the program? MLD is voluntary , I would think at best you/ranch would be kicked out of the program
                              You are incorrect. If you are in the program, you must report every harvested animal on the property. Additionally, your hunting license is just to prove you have paid to hunt. It is against the law to use your personal tags on an MLD property.

Comment

Working...
                              X