Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey identification - Are there better pics? Any hunting advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey identification - Are there better pics? Any hunting advice?

I've looked at pics online, and I can't tell the difference in type of turkey. I read on a search here that:

The major difference on the Rios is the light tips on the tail/ fan feathers. The Easterns have darker tips.
    Now that's fine if I have two different turkeys side by side, strutting around for me to compare. But if there is only one... how do you tell?

I've never shot a turkey, but would like to try this coming spring season - Mar. 19 - May 1, 2016. I'm in Medina county, and the regulations only have it listed as "Rio Grande - South Zone". I didn't want to assume that meant that we only have Rio Grande turkeys in Medina county, so I wanted to be 100% sure.

I'd hate to have my very first turkey confiscated and face a fine for not knowing, so I'm doing my research now.

Any advice on decoys, setups, etc... would be appreciated, as I have nobody to show me how to do this. I'm learning by reading.

All the best,
    Glenn

You'll only have rios, shoot at will. Zero chance of an eastern there. The fan coloring is generally the easiest way to tell for a newbie, but like I said you won't have any eastern so go get them! Good luck

Comment

Pretty sure you won't encounter any Easterns down there.
      Easterns have been transplanted into certain parts of Northeast Tx, but are not thriving in many of the transplant areas.

Comment

I would say you only have Rios in Medina County. I prefer Dave Smith Decoys and hunt out of a Double Bull Blind.

Comment

Rios's in medina co. Turkey hunting is awesome. You don't hae to be an expert caller to kill birds. Easy to learn how to yelp on a box call. Decoys can really help or have no effect. A jake decoy paired with a hen often really fires up a gobbler. I hunt with my son in a popup blind and it works great. We usually have an idea where the roost is and set up the direction we think they are headed. Sometimes they come running in, other times will follow the hens and ignore you. So it's good to sit tight, as they may come back late in the morning. If you can get one to answer a call after noon, you have a great chance of calling him in.

Good luck. It can be lots of fun.

Comment

Cross.
            Attached Files

Comment

As mentioned the Dave Smith decoys are top notch. The Avian X decoys are good quality too. I've had success with both. My go to set up is a strutter with a hen. I like the feeding hen but have added a breeder hen to my collection this year. I like face my strutter facing me because most gobblers that come in will face off to him and this gives me an opportunity to get my gun up. Keep in mind that a turkeys eyes are their number one defense just as a deer's are their nose. Any movement will send them to the next county. Keep your movements to a minimum and when you do move, do so slowly. It's a blast and you'll enjoy the challenge.

Comment

You should see lots of birds this year.
                I suggest you look for an adult gobbler.
                2+ years. They have full fans not the uneven fans of jakes that have taller feathers in the middle.
                Don't overcall. If they respond and coming, get your gun/bow up and be prepared to shoot with moving much.
                If you shoot and miss, be still and they might give you another chance. If you kill a bird and it starts flopping, other gobblers may rush to him.
                Gobblers with hens are hard to call, but sometimes calling the hens in will drag the toms by.
                Hope for warm, sunny days.

Big pig

Comment

Spring turkeys are too much fun. For the last couple years I have been using a Funky Chicken decoy with a couple hens. Old toms just cant resist try to whoop up on the goofy looking little guy.

Comment

bow aiming points....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey shot placement chart 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	24427372

Comment

Glenn, if I was closer, you could just take me with you and I would show you how!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        bow aiming points....

[ATTACH]770039[/ATTACH]
                        The only turkey I've ever killed was with my Mathews. I shot right where the yellow dot is on the bottom left pic. He ran 15 yards and was history.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. Greatly appreciated.
                          All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

Remember this adage Glenn. Hit 'em low, watch 'em go. Hit 'em high, watch 'em die ! And good luck !

Comment

Do you bow hunters use regular broadheads that you use for deer, or do you use the specialty broadheads like the Magnus Bullhead and Gobbler Guillotine?

If I hunt turkey with a shotgun, does the aiming point switch to the head? That's all the targets I've seen.

All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X