Opening weekend Frio County Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening weekend Frio County Buck

So I settled in to my ground blind about 5:15 on sunday evening with the hope of getting on a nice 8 I've been seeing on camera. I had only been in my ground blind 20 minutes when I started to hear an atv slowly gettin closer and closer. Sure enough it was our cattle guys running around in the field near my stand checking on cattle! Not exactly what I needed for a good hunt! I walked over there and spoke to them and they politely left. I got back in the stand and prayed it wouldn't affect the deer movement that evening. About 6:20 I had a big flock of turkey hens move into the feeder. They mingled around for awhile and soon after I had a doe and a spike walk in from the brush to feed. Every couple of minutes I would peek out to see if any other deer had joined in to feed. About 10 minutes later I took another peek and saw my target buck feeding. I grabbed my bow and readied for the shot. I drew my bow and anchored and was just about to shoot when the buck chased off a hen. I slowly let down my bow and waited for him to work back in. After several long minutes, he worked his way back in and I drew back and let one fly. The arrow disappeared so fast I never saw the arrow hit the buck but there was no question I had heard a really loud hit, almost sounded like a punch! After seeing the buck disappear into the brush about 50 yards away I heard a faint crash. Replaying the shot in my head, I was confident it was a good shot. With the high temps that evening, I decided to only wait 30 minutes and I took up the blood trail only to find very little blood! I found the arrow and it had good blood on it so I walked over to where I had last seen the buck. I was happy to see him laying only 10 yards away! Getting my hands on him was an awesome feeling and he looked just as impressive in my hands as he did on my trailcam pics! Not sure what he scores yet, but I don't really care too much. I'm just really pumped to start out this season with a good buck on the ground!
    I had my GoPro setup on this hunt and will add some video once I get it loaded and edited.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444314140689.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	25069325
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444314175077.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	25069326

Nice buck!

Comment

Dang what a hole!!! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!! Nice Buck. . .

Comment

Nice! What part of Frio County you hunting?

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

nice deer!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great buck and write up!

Comment

Nice buck, Congrats

Comment

Nice Buck!

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
                        Nice! What part of Frio County you hunting?
                        We're in NE Frio county but part of our ranch is also Medina county.

Comment

Wow, What a Hole... Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X