My Deer shack rebuild 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Deer shack rebuild 2015

Back in April I got a heck of a deal on a camper from basskicker24 . I did not work on it for several months and everyday wondered what I had gotten myself into. Eventually deer season was getting closer and I thought I better get going on fixing this up. The camper was overall sound just needed some rebuilding and rewiring. So my hunting buddies and I got started and over 4 weekends got everything complete. I had every intention of documenting everything along the way, but of course I did not, so here are some before and after pics of it. Enjoy , Robert

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy Outside original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	25067643

Name:	Copy Outside final 2.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	25067644

Lots of Elbow grease on the outside and rerolled the rubber roof.

Name:	Copy Front original 2.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	25067645

Name:	Copy Front final 5.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	25067646

Removed all of the windows and resealed and then tore out all of the walls in the front and back that had rotted. Reframed all and put some cheap paneling back on them. Also wanted some curtains for the windows so a quick trip to Hancock fabrics and some time getting the wife's sewing machine out. After a few hours I had curtains all made. Still getting grief from the wife I actually sat down and made curtains

Name:	copy Bunks final.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	25067647

Name:	Copy Bunk final 2.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	25067648

Tore out the single queen bed in the back and put two bunks in using cot frames for the bed. Nice and springy and comfortable. Plenty of storage above and below.

Name:	Copy Wife signs.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	25067649

Wife decided I needed some signs for deer camp !

Name:	Copy Front door.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	25067650

I decided I needed a sign on the door for deer camp

Name:	copy Front mat.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	25067654

Had a soft spot at the front door , removed linoleum , repaired and installed a heavy duty door mat.

All in all I replaced/repaired the following

4 New drums and electric brake assemblies and wheel bearings
    Rebuilt walls in front and back
    Replaced some bad lights inside
    Resealed all windows and storage doors
    Repaired all wiring for slide
    Replaced back bed with bunks
    Repaired all cabinets
    Good scrubbing on the outside
    Re Rolled the roof and slide
    New outside lights all around
    New misc hardware throughout

Thanks to BassKicker24 for the good deal !
    Last edited by alec73065; 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM.

very nice

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work. Job well done!

Comment

Great job man! My deer lease trailer needs a little attention like you gave yours. I need to replace the walls and ceiling in my bathroom and back closet. Seeing what you did motivates me to fix mine. Hope you enjoy it this deer season!

Comment

That is a lot of work and I am sure you will enjoy it during the season.

Comment

Good job guys!

Comment

Can you give details on what you did to prep the rubber roof and what product you used please. Did it seem to adhere to the existing roof good? Any pics of the roof would be appreciated. I need to roll a buddies at my lease but haven't found a product that seemed good for the job

Comment

Wow! That looks great. Glad to see its going to get good use.

Comment

Looks great. Post more pics if you got them !

Comment

having done this before myself, I gotta hand it to you. Yours turned out much nicer than mine did. Those walls are hard to repanel and nothing in those things are ever square

Comment

That turned out great. Congrats.

Comment

Looking Good

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                          Can you give details on what you did to prep the rubber roof and what product you used please. Did it seem to adhere to the existing roof good? Any pics of the roof would be appreciated. I need to roll a buddies at my lease but haven't found a product that seemed good for the job
                          Sure I can get that info for you tomorrow when I go down to where it is stored. The roof was pretty badly cracked and tore in a few places. I bought the roof patch kit at Crestview and patched everything first. Also bought the self leveling caulk and resealed everything on top and all of the seams. The product is just like paint and I put it on pretty heavy. I washed it with dawn and a scrub brush at least twice before I applied the roof coating. All of the small cracks sealed with the roof coating and the second coat made it look like new. I did have to use a roller head that had hardly any nap on it so it would come out smooth. Took me about 30 min per coat but I did it at work and used a scissor lift to go around the trailer so didn't have to mess with a ladder at all. I'll try and get some pictures of the roof tomorrow since I had the slide in and did not see the slide had rubber roof as well. I plan on doing that tomorrow. I know Crestview sells an activator and roof coating combo but I bought mine at RV outlet mall in Georgetown and they told me to just use dawn. I actually used dawn on all of the outside too and it really made the camper look like new.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                            having done this before myself, I gotta hand it to you. Yours turned out much nicer than mine did. Those walls are hard to repanel and nothing in those things are ever square
                            You are correct ! we ripped a lot of 2x4's and I bought a couple of dozen 2" 90 degree brackets and put them in the intersection of every stud when we had the walls open. primarily because I did not put the cabinets and shelf back in over the couch and was wondering how much stability that gave to the front top of the camper. In reality I always over think/over build everything and could have skipped those I am sure that one piece of paneling by the couch bugs me because the paneling was flipped 180 degrees and the lines don't match but that is my OCD kicking in. I keep telling myself it is only a deer shack

Comment

One of the biggest issues I had was finding parts or info from keystone. they do not stock anything older than 2004. I was looking for a wiring diagram for the slide and they were not helpful at all. Crestview which is a keystone dealer was worthless, I eventually quit going by there . All they wanted to do was sell me a new camper. RV outlet mall in Georgetown was great and a lot of help. I also replaced all of the window seals and 2 broken window crank units. I found a lot of items on the website below that I could not find anywhere else.

rv parts motorhome parts rv repair motorhome repair motorhome accessories rv accessories rv windows holding tanks fenderskirts water tanks Hehr windows Kinro windows el Monte tanks all-rite Drain Master Camping Komfort Nomad Aljo Prowler Taurus Mallard Wilderness Kit Companion Road Ranger Holiday Rambler Automate Carrie Lite Savannah Fireball Shasta Dutchman Yellowstone Vacationeer Ideal Beaver Winnabego Airstream Fleetwood Skyline Jayco king of the road RVDA Elkheart Indiana RV News RV business Good Sam Club

After working on this keystone I would not buy a new one, when we took the first leaking window off there were places that had no caulking at all. I can see why they leaked. I decided then to remove every door and window on the camper and reseal. Once I started looking at the lights it was the same issue , so we replaced or resealed everything externally on the camper.

Comment

Working...
                              X