Short distance sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short distance sighting

there was a thread a while ago about sighting in and someone mentioned being able to sight in 20,30,40 from distances of like 3,5,and 7 yards. im helping my bud sight his in, and wanting to try this method, but cant remember the exact distances... help?

Here you go
    Attached Files

Comment

exactly!!!!

thank you!!

Comment

I tried it on my Trophy Ridge pursuit single pin sight and it didn't turn out right. My 25yd mark on the tape is my 20 pin.

Comment

Here is,another one
          Attached Files

Comment

Has anyone had any real luck with this? Got my bow dial in but would be worth a shot if I ever had a sight emergency while at camp

Comment

Originally posted by gregbrison2015 View Post
              Has anyone had any real luck with this? Got my bow dial in but would be worth a shot if I ever had a sight emergency while at camp
              Works like a champ. Been setting long range pins like that for years. Just for giggles, walk up to your target and shoot the pins accordingly. You will be surprised how accurate it is.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Tagged, hope to get my bow back from the shop with new strings and cam. Too close to the season.

Comment

It would seem to me that arrow weight and draw would play some pretty important rolls here, though if you set your sights traditionally and then reverse engineered it doing it this way you could find out what your close distances are for future reference

Comment

I don't know if it matters or not, but why about the placement of the target? will it effect it if its on the ground and you're shooting at an angle downward? Does it need to be set on a table say chest high? Or does it not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                        It would seem to me that arrow weight and draw would play some pretty important rolls here, though if you set your sights traditionally and then reverse engineered it doing it this way you could find out what your close distances are for future reference
                        This makes sense and sounds like a good idea

Comment

Will try it out

Comment

Originally posted by codyw2006 View Post
                            Arrow weight and draw do not affect this. All bows shoot arrows in an arc. All you are doing is impacting the target in the rising portion of the arc instead of the dropping portion. Meaning the arrow is rising and hits the target up close in the same spot as it would after it has risen to its peak, and begun its descent at a longer range.
                            There is also a visual parallax in play here because your arrow is actually 4-6 inches lower than your eye, and line of sight. If your anchor is consistent, this does not change regardless of the distance you are shooting. The only difference is rising versus dropping for the arrow.

Like I said before, I have sighted in 40+ yard pins using this method for years, and have been within 1-2 inches, usually less when I stretched it out to the actual distance. If you can hold steady at six yards, and at 40 yards, your POI will be within a few shaft diameters of each other.
                            Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 09-24-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X