Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County
Arrow What's your best trick to remove the gamey taste?

What's your best trick to remove the wild game taste from deer meat?

I know there's something you can buy but I can't remember what it was...
TX_Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Sharp Shooter13
Eight Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Ozona

It's called beef. The taste of venison is the reason I like it so much. If you want it to taste any different by some beef.
Sharp Shooter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

What is this gamey taste of which you speak? What many people call "gamey" is simply the taste of meat that has not been properly cared for.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
mitchbcs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico / Albert,TX(Gillespie Co.)

Just keep chicken frying it..... Cause it wasn't made for the grill! IMO Beef is for grilln : )
mitchbcs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Most important: shoot a doe.

If you shoot an old rutting buck, find somebody that makes good sausage and then go out and shoot a doe for steaks.

I process my own most of the time. It's a pain, but I trim off ALL of the fat and connective tissues before vacuum packing and freezing. That gets rid of the wild taste.

I rarely chicken fry venison anymore. We grill it just like beef. It's dry, so don't overcook it. Or, you can wrap some bacon around it to make is juicy. Good stuff!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
tarjake
Eight Point

Hunt In: south of ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post

If you shoot an old rutting buck, find somebody that makes good sausage and then go out and shoot a doe for steaks.

I process my own most of the time. It's a pain, but I trim off ALL of the fat and connective tissues before vacuum packing and freezing. That gets rid of the wild taste.

I rarely chicken fry venison anymore. We grill it just like beef. It's dry, so don't overcook it. Or, you can wrap some bacon around it to make is juicy. Good stuff!
X2
tarjake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

[quote=DrenalinJunkie;931388]I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.

I have always used regular milk but it really helps draw the blood out of the meat. Works great on dove breast also.
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Stins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan Cty & Woodbury Cty Iowa

First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
Stins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
sqiggy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Corn!!!
Let'em eat corn for a couple months prior to killin one!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Process it yourself. It's not that hard. Separate the muscles, cut the "white skin" off and cut it cross grain. Gamey "taste" is just bad meat preparation.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Draco
Pope & Young

I've never tasted any gamey taste to my deer meat. I think thats just the way deer tastes. Buy beef.
Draco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
sqiggy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stins View Post
First let your meat sit in the cooler over ice draining the bloody water and adding fresh ice for 3-5 days, this will bleed it out. After that no gamey taste IMO.....tasty!
I think this is the best thing you can do for your deer.
Also, before cooking, remove any and all that white stuff!!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
Green Arrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton and Willimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
Process it yourself. It's not that hard. Separate the muscles, cut the "white skin" off and cut it cross grain. Gamey "taste" is just bad meat preparation.
X2

I also leave them in a ice chest like stins recommended.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

I've never tasted any "gamey" taste in deer meat either.. on the other hand I have in duck meat before... to cure that i just soak it in Coke a cola for a couple hours in the fridge... problem solved!!!
TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #16
BradC
Eight Point

Milk.
I always soak in milk and sometimes overnight and change the milk out. Never had anyone comment about gameyness.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
X2

I also leave them in a ice chest like stins recommended.
I do too. Sending a deer to a processor is just BEGGING for bad end product and just plain lazy in my opinion. Cutting it up yourself is just part of the hunting process. Venison fat does not render like beef fat and gives the meat a rancid or gamey taste. You have to separate the muscles and can't just cut it into conventional "cuts" like beef and get the best result.
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
SmTx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I too leave it in the cooler on ice, I also don't like hanging my deer in a walk in cooler. It drys the meat out. Clean it and get it on ice as soon as possible.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #19
MountainMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Colorado and Texas (when invited ;))

Kinda depends...milk/buttermilk if I shoot a doe/cow that is "gamey", but for an old buck/bull, I soak it in white vinegar overnight. That cures the "gamey" taste and softens him up too.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
Indianhunter
Six Point

if you are doing it yourself make sure you let it age in the cooler on ice or walk in cooler for about 4 or 5 days. Also, once you get some steaks cut up dont be afraid of some marinade for two days and then season it grill it and should be delicious.
Indianhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #21
mossyoakprincess
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever and Whenever I get a chance!

Quote:
That's what we do and it takes care of it!
mossyoakprincess is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #22
TimHicks
Pope & Young

Gamefix
www.getgamefix.com
TimHicks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk county

I always looked at gamey venison as pretty much spoiled. You have to gut and jerk the hide as soon as possible. Removing the hide gets the heat out quicker.
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #24
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Quote:
x2

And wash really good before freezing!
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #25
tuthdoc
Ten Point

What gamey taste? I do the cooler thing and have for decades. I've never had a deer taste "gamey". I also throw my bucks and does in the freezer together. Not marked. I defy anyone to tell me which theyre eating. I guess if you know it's a doe you can swear it's better, but I think it's a mental thing. Take care of the meat and it all eats. I usually have at least one ol geezer in the freezer every year and they are some fine eating.

If you're grilling it, the main thing you can do to ruin it is to overcook it. Like dove, if you overcook them, they taste like liver. If you overcook venison, the quality goes way down. When I gill venison, I usually wrap it in bacon for moisture and cook it medium rare, absolutely no more than medium.
tuthdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #26
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Process it yourself, it's not rocket science. As said earlier, seperate the muscles, cut steaks across grain, clean all the white membrane off of meat. I make my own link sausage and summer sausage.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #27
Bucks&Broadheads
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marquez / Centerville, TX

Like others said, leave it in the ice chest for a few days adding more ice and draining frequently. If you have access to a walk in freezer, make sure to quarter and hang for at least a week to 10 days before you process it.
Bucks&Broadheads is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #28
rdwhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba County & Wyoming

[quote=bsills;931426]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrenalinJunkie View Post
I Know my ex didnt like venison so I used to soak it in butter milk. She never knew the difference.

I have always used regular milk but it really helps draw the blood out of the meat. Works great on dove breast also.
x2
rdwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #29
stickman
Ten Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
X2
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
rdwhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba County & Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks&Broadheads View Post
Like others said, leave it in the ice chest for a few days adding more ice and draining frequently. If you have access to a walk in freezer, make sure to quarter and hang for at least a week to 10 days before you process it.
x2
rdwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
woody
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX

I love the flavor of vennison. One thing that makes vennison taste bad is the fat and connective tissue. In pork, you want to leave that on, in vennison, you want to remove as much as possible. The other key is to cool the deer as soon as possible. I also wash meer before putting in the cooler. Some will tell you that is not a good idea as it promotes bacteria. However, I feel the meat will get wet in the cooler anyway. By washing it, I eliminate hair and dirt from the meat. Before butchering and packaging, I will also use a hand torch to burn off any hair I have missed. Good luck.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #32
Kevin Breaux
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort Hood and surrounding areas

Quote:

Second this quote,
I make my own ice, we eat a lot of ice cream, so the 1 gallon plastic buckets come in handy. Change the water daily. I also clean the meat daily cutting away all the viscus, fat and damaged bloody parts of meat. In 5-7 days time your meat will be white and taste awesome!
Kevin Breaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #33
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Add 1/2 gallon of white vinegar when you first put meat in cooler...then continue like Stins said......

Tip: Never let your meat get exposed to air....keep it covered witk ice and water....
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #34
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Get to it quick as possible- get the guts out- get it cooled down and leave it cooled for a few days before freezing or processing. I dont liike mine sitting in water so i put it in an icechest with the drain open for a few days.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #35
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default Cooler....

2-3 weeks in the cooler does wonders.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #36
MartinShooter08
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma

[quote]Originally Posted by Shane

I rarely chicken fry venison anymore. We grill it just like beef. It's dry, so don't overcook it. Or, you can wrap some bacon around it to make is juicy. Good stuff![quote] I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MartinShooter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #37
jpbruni
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb, Jim Hogg and Proud Member of Team Gizzard

I have a little different approach than most.

First and foremost, make a clean kill! An animal that is severely stressed, chased or pushed will have a stronger flavor. If it was pushed, let it lay for 1 hour before gutting and cleaning.

If it was a clean kill, gut it immediately and get some bags of ice in the body cavity, or do a non-gutting skinning/quartering job, BUT DO NOT WASH THE MEAT!

Place the meat in trash bags or ziplocks without washing it. Now if you are going to process the meat or eat it all right away, go ahead and rinse it off. If not, DON"T WASH OFF THE MEAT. You can wipe it off with a rag or paper towel if it makes you feel better .

I used to do the cooler deal but once I discovered this method, I could not taste the difference anymore, so it basically became a waste of time and ice.

I would highly reccommend a vaccuum sealer. They are cheap now and there is even a $10.00 thingy that works with special ziplock bags (and it works pretty well!).

Label and date the packages.

Now here's the deal...The reason not to get the meat wet is to avoid and prevent freezer burn. Once you add moisture to the meat and then freeze it, the chance if it freezer burning goes up 10-Fold.

I just take a package from the freezer, let it thaw, THEN I rinse it off!

This next step is not necessary, but it will help tenderize a bit; I also let the meat age in the fridge for a few days prior to cooking. I like variety so sometimes I'll just eat it straight, sometimes I'll marinade it, sometimes I'll soak it in milk (this really helps when you Chicken-Fry because the outside of the meat will hold the batter much better).

THEN, the main thing to remember (as mentioned above) is to cook it to RARE or MEDIUM RARE and no further! I know...it wild game so you have to cook it a lot...WRONG! You will actually cook the gamey taste into it!
Don't believe me, do a side-by-side comparison and then tell me you can't taste the difference .

Hope this helps.

J.P.
jpbruni is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #38
jyoung
Administrator

Hunt In: Burnett Co.

I shot an old doe last year that was carrying and she had a definate stronger taste that the younger doe I shot earlier that year. Both were processed by me and taken care of properly. I think the older deer just have a much stronger taste, or some say gamey. I combat this stronger taste by soaking in westchester sauce overnight and then grilling.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #39
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuthdoc View Post
What gamey taste? I do the cooler thing and have for decades. I've never had a deer taste "gamey". I also throw my bucks and does in the freezer together. Not marked. I defy anyone to tell me which theyre eating. I guess if you know it's a doe you can swear it's better, but I think it's a mental thing. Take care of the meat and it all eats. I usually have at least one ol geezer in the freezer every year and they are some fine eating.

If you're grilling it, the main thing you can do to ruin it is to overcook it. Like dove, if you overcook them, they taste like liver. If you overcook venison, the quality goes way down. When I gill venison, I usually wrap it in bacon for moisture and cook it medium rare, absolutely no more than medium.
What Doc said...

Plus, all red meat must be aged to be falvorful. Most beef you buy has been aged for at least 2 weeks, and drowning it in water/ice is not aging, that's bleaching. I get my deer skinned/quartered as soon as possible, but what I do that is different than what most have posted here is that I put my meat in plastic water tight bags. When you skin the animal, it is by nature clean. When you put water/ice on it, that's where unclean bacteria can be introduced to the meat. I don't keep any traumitized areas of the meat. I pack the bags in ice in a cooler for at least 10 days to 2 weeks. This gives the meat proper flavor, AND aged venison is never tough. I use venison just like I would beef. we grill it, chicken fry it, and even make burgers out of the ground meat that you absolutely will get none of that "wild" taste. I take apart the muscles of the hind quarters to remove lymph nodes and all the connective tissue I can, then vacuum seal it and freeze it. There's not a better meat on the planet if it is cared for properly During the packaging process, I do not put any water on the meat. If it is taken care of properly, and skinned properly, the meat is perfectly clean naturally. Water only polutes it.

Like Doc said, medium to rare is the best for grillin' and burgers are the same way. On my hamberger, I do add about 20% beef tallow to the meat when grinding, and it's as good or even better than a beef burger. Y'all just try keeping the meat clean and dry on ice for 10 days once, and you'll never do it any other way, I promise. There have been many folks ate at my table that "don't like deer meat" that never knew they were eating something wild and just bragged on how good the steak, or lasagna, or stew, or chili, or whatever was...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #40
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

after harvesting soak in ice water for 48 hours, changing the water a couple times a day, if you want it less gamey. I do this with large boars, and not a lot of people know its a boar anymore. I like deer the way it is.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #41
Liberty06
Eight Point

Hunt In: Round Mountain, Texas

For me it is letting the venison (as stated above many times) bleed out. I have found it tastes better to me this way.
Liberty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #42
Ragin'
Pope & Young

Hunt In: New Waverly, Stonewall, Village Mills Texas. Fort Scott Kansas

Gamey ????????? I hate that dang TAME taste myself.......
Ragin' is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #43
Wilson
Six Point

Drink more beer
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #44
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuthdoc View Post
You are SO right. A venison steak should leave juices on your plate. If you don't see at least a little pink in the middle, it's overcooked.

Personally, I don't wash venison until right before I cut it up and freeze it. I'm not so much against it, just don't see the need in it. I place the quarters in 2 gallon ziplock bags that go into an ice chest until I get home. They don't come in contact with dirt and, if they have a hair or two stuck to the outside, I can't see how that could possibly hurt anything. Ditto on blood. A little blood on the outside of the quarters can do nothing but protect the meat inside. I would much rather the meat be in contact with blood than water. The first thing you're going to do is trim the outside off anyway. As long as everything remains below 40 degrees, there's no problem. The main thing is to get the meat cooled down as quickly as possible and keep it there.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #45
Bag Limit
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
What Doc said...

Plus, all red meat must be aged to be falvorful. Most beef you buy has been aged for at least 2 weeks, and drowning it in water/ice is not aging, that's bleaching. I get my deer skinned/quartered as soon as possible, but what I do that is different than what most have posted here is that I put my meat in plastic water tight bags. When you skin the animal, it is by nature clean. When you put water/ice on it, that's where unclean bacteria can be introduced to the meat. I don't keep any traumitized areas of the meat. I pack the bags in ice in a cooler for at least 10 days to 2 weeks. This gives the meat proper flavor, AND aged venison is never tough. I use venison just like I would beef. we grill it, chicken fry it, and even make burgers out of the ground meat that you absolutely will get none of that "wild" taste. I take apart the muscles of the hind quarters to remove lymph nodes and all the connective tissue I can, then vacuum seal it and freeze it. There's not a better meat on the planet if it is cared for properly During the packaging process, I do not put any water on the meat. If it is taken care of properly, and skinned properly, the meat is perfectly clean naturally. Water only polutes it.

Like Doc said, medium to rare is the best for grillin' and burgers are the same way. On my hamberger, I do add about 20% beef tallow to the meat when grinding, and it's as good or even better than a beef burger. Y'all just try keeping the meat clean and dry on ice for 10 days once, and you'll never do it any other way, I promise. There have been many folks ate at my table that "don't like deer meat" that never knew they were eating something wild and just bragged on how good the steak, or lasagna, or stew, or chili, or whatever was...
I find myself agreeing with this post depsite the fact that I typically do not agree with SaltwaterSlick! Aging the deer in bags then in ice is the way to go. I would recommend against leaving the meat in ice without bagging it... If you think that your deer meat should be as white as pork then go ahead and place it into ice with the bags.
Bag Limit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #46
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
not just that but get to the deer and break it down asap. It's too warm for a deer to stew for too long. Honestly i let my deer sit in ice for a few days draining the water and I've never ever had bad meat.
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #47
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Process it yourself, just make sure and take the time to cut the connective tissue off before you package it. I have never had the so called wild taste in the meat. I hear alot of comments about letting it age in a cooler on ice for several days. Alot of people swear by it.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #48
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays/Travis County

Obviously a young doe is going to be better than an old buck, just like a hog.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #49
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

JPBruni...question here. Are you talking about quarters and no ice or water?

My reasoning here is, I leave the quarters intact and all 4 pieces get the rinse and soak in ice. After several days of the usual drain, ice and age routine the 4 quarters are then pulled and the processing begins. The silver lining surrounding the shoulders and hams shield the meat from water intrusion and I simply cut away any white areas and simply focus on red.

Water can only penetrate so far into the meat and quarters, left as is with membrane shield are pretty secure from water intrusion. I agree, if I mix water into the meat after I bone and do the other work...it's an issue.

I towel each quarter down when pulled from ice till they are simply cool and then start the butchering necessary to finish the job.

Straps, tenders and any trim meat that is cut away during the field to age stage (exposed meat) gets placed in plastic bags only to seperate the water from the meat but once I'm home, it comes off ice and out of the bag and into the fridge. I don't like exposed meat in a blood soak.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-02-2008 at 11:34 AM..
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #50
Cameron
Pope & Young

Gamey? What's that? I think I like the gamey taste...I'm weird though.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top