Elephant mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephant mountain?

I got drawn for archery in elephant mountain. I am supper excited and can't wait. Anybody have any info they would like to share.

Quail hunted there when I was attending Sul Ross and also helped out with spotlight counts. There is some really good deer back then . I graduated in 99 and at that time even saw a few hogs. I seen more deer in the revenings than mornings. Can't remember exact areas but I hope I drew also I haven't checked. Good luck

Comment

Was drawn for Black Gap. Am asking same question. Will be taking my 60 power spotting scope and try to get elevated.

Comment

A guy I hunt with has been to both places as well as Matador. He was succesful using calls and hunting watering holes. You would also want to be comfortable with shots up to 80-100 yards. Either way, it's really tough. I told him I had signed up for the draws, and he felt like if I won, I was probably not good enough to come back with anything.

Congrats on the win.

Comment

Elephant mountain WMA is incredible. Went there twice back when I was in school for wildlife biology classes. Beautiful country!

Comment

PM me your info and I will give you a call. I can give you tons of information on Elephant Mt. and Black Gap.

Comment

They won't let you hunt more than half way up the side of the mountain as this is where the big horn sheep roam. I would ask for the unit at the back of the mountain that the dry creek bed runs through. I do not remember the name of it but you should be albe to look at a map or ask the guys there. Either hunt the water stations or spot and stalk. We would glass in the morning locate a good buck and watch him until he bedded. Trying to mark the spot and find it after moving a quarter of a mile was very hard. My brother-in-law shot a nice muley but we never found the deer. The ground is very rocky and dry and hard to blood trail. Had a great time. Saw lots of javilania. Its completely different than whitetail hunting!

Comment

We hunted there 2 years ago when we got shifted down from sierra diablo because of a bad ice storm. I would set up on the water stations.

Comment

I would never be comfortable with an 80-100 yard bow shot, 40 is the most I would ever take.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                    I would never be comfortable with an 80-100 yard bow shot, 40 is the most I would ever take.
                    It's tough hunting. I imagine the success late is low for a reason, but I would lean more towards the people that win are not in good enough physical condition to do the hunt. There's plenty of nice mulies there.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                      While there are people who can make that shot, they are few and far between. I used to shoot competitive 3D archery, finished second in the state one year, but I was never good enough to chance a shot that long on an animal. Just my two cents.

Comment

If you aren't comfortable shooting at deer over 40 yards, your odds of success in that county are almost 0. Unless you hunt over bait, or water, you aren't going to get many 40 yard or less shots.

Comment

Be ready for a tough hunt, I've been there we spot and stalk from sun up till sun down. My buddy killed a mule deer and I got a javi. Your shots will be at least 60 yards on the mule deer . I shot the javi at 35 yards. My buddy stuck the mule deer at 70 yards.

Comment

We hunted EM on a doe only youth hunt last year. We had 3 bucks within 40 yds of us and one came as close as 17 yds while the 4 of are standing in the open. Strangest thing I ever saw. Like they knew it was doe only. I put in for the bow this year because of that but mine says pending 2nd draw so still a glimmer of hope

Comment

I just received a confirmation email that I drew the archery hunt in October!!!!! I'm kinda in disbelief I only had two points. I've never been any where close to this area so info would be great. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X