Small game head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small game head

Has anybody tried and had any luck with these?

The "Hammer" blunts

Try and make a long story short. I liked the G5 Small Game Heads when I was shooting with a compound, but I had less than stellar results with them shooting from my recurve. I litterally bounced one off a jack and wounded a cotton tail before I finally gave up on them and decided to just use my heavier arrows with the 175 gr Zwickeys. Fortunately, the Zwickeys were bombproof and when I connected, it was almost immediately fatal. I missed plenty and fortunately didn't ruin a single head.

So I am wondering what head to go with. I could just stay with the Zwickeys, but I am worried about burying them into a tree; which wasn't much of an issue down where in south texas. A bunch of the blunts are 125gr max, and I really would like a 175gr head so I can just use the same arrows. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a bunch of 175 gr blunts on the market... except the ones above.

I like Judos.

Comment

I have used them and they are awesome. I never had them bounce off of any small critters.

Glenn

Comment

Try em you will like them I have several, if you miss what your shooting at they catch on all kinda things and stop pretty quickly.

Comment

These are what I use. The pictures show them on a .38 Spl. case for wood arrows. You can just use a 5/32" screw and 5/32" wing nuts, put the little bolt through the wing nut and screw it into your arrow. You can adjust the weight by putting nuts on the bolt before you screw it into the arrow. Cost is less than a dime a head. You can file the wings sharp.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have those same heads as in your link Scott, and they bounce off and wound, unless you make a perfect head shot. I think it is a draw weight thing. Glen Posik says he has had great results with them, but he shoots bows in the high 60's and 70's draw weight. For those of us that shoot 50 and under, I don't think there is anything going to work as well except a broadhead!

Bisch

Comment

Bisch... What are you shooting at with these? I wont shoot at anything larger than a rabbit with these but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I have those same heads as in your link Scott, and they bounce off and wound, unless you make a perfect head shot. I think it is a draw weight thing. Glen Posik says he has had great results with them, but he shoots bows in the high 60's and 70's draw weight. For those of us that shoot 50 and under, I don't think there is anything going to work as well except a broadhead!

Bisch
                It is weird isn't it? Where you using the same arrows that you would for bigger game? I went back and did the math and turns out I was shooting a ~340 gr total arrow with the small game head (I thought it was more like 400gr - turns out that was my compound arrow weight.) I didn't see any wobble in the arrow flight, and it just didn't put two holes into a 1 lb cotton tail that is seamingly about as tough as a water balloon. I saw the wound, right around the rip cage. And it litterally bounced off a jack. Blood on the head, nothing beyond the insert. Even though it was a lighter arrow, I am still a bit surprised. The shots were inside 15 yards.

I figured at the time that maybe I just didn't have enough punch. Well 500gr arrow vs 340gr may have been the difference.

Based off your experience, I may just stick with the Zwickeys, at least I won't have to carry an arrow with a different broadhead. I just don't want a repeat of last time. I didn't feel good about what was going on.

Comment

When I couldn't find any in the weight I wanted, I made some out of a field point and T-Nuts.
                  They are devastating on wabbits

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    When I couldn't find any in the weight I wanted, I made some out of a field point and T-Nuts.
                    They are devastating on wabbits
                    http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ght=bust+bunny
                    How did they hold up to hitting trees or rocks? I had thought about the washer behind a field point idea, but figured the field point could still burry itself into some tree pretty good.

Comment

I haven't used those heads but I used the small game heads that look like a hawk talon, and the others that were blunt metal with the wires extending on the side. The heads with the wires were awful for me. Two of the rabbits only had ripped fur and mangled shoulders. Ran and died I assume from the damage via impact. I assume that is how the above shown head in your OP would kill them.

The talon looking game head was much better for me and would usually poke into the far side or out the fur.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        How did they hold up to hitting trees or rocks? I had thought about the washer behind a field point idea, but figured the field point could still burry itself into some tree pretty good.
                        With the field point ground flat they don't stick in the trees, however I have ruined two shafts. Once I missed a coon and center-punched a feeder leg, and another time I hit a rock on the far side of a rabbit. Both times the head held up, but the impact jammed the insert up in the shaft and splintered it.

Comment

Judos wrk pretty well...bone points are excellent too....used them with success

Comment

I used the VPA small game thumper's with awesome success! Rabbit and squirrel 55# and 175grn tips.

Comment

Yeah HEX heads and SGT come in heavy weights and I've shot Jacks with both and they don't get up or bounce off

Comment

Working...
                              X