Degreasing a skull.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degreasing a skull.

There have been several posts about DIY skull cleaning. There have also been some crazy methods mentioned in those threads along with some rediculous times mentioned to complete the task.

This is an aoudad skull that was cleaned by someone else and then after the fact decided on a shoulder mount. I'm not sure of the whole process but I know it was boiled somewhere along the way. That will make it a little tougher to clean, but the purpose of this thread is to show you how long it takes to get the grease out of it.

Day 1
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430615849876.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	25053989

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430615873282.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	25053990

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430615889264.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	25053991

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430615911786.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	25053992

You can see that it's not white.
    There's a lot of brown and yellow stains in the bone.

In the end, these all need to be gone before it gets whitened.

So it goes into my hi-tech degreasing tank with some of my super secret degreasing liquid.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1430616078245.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	24378437

Comment

In

Comment

I love the super high tech and super secret agents Im in for the destruction of the the grease.

Waiting for the next episode!

Comment

I plan on updating this everytime I do something to it. I expect it to take at least 6 weeks.

Comment

Six weeks? My super secret degreasing formula/method would have it done in about 4 hours.

Comment

So what is the purpose of a DIY thread if you keep all the steps a secret?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                Six weeks? My super secret degreasing formula/method would have it done in about 4 hours.
                You forgot the little
                Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                So what is the purpose of a DIY thread if you keep all the steps a secret?
                The hi-tech tub is a 48 quart igloo cooler.
                I'd used a yeti previously but the heated water would never get above 33 degrees F.

It has a 1000 watt heater and a temperature controller that keeps the water at exactly 115 degrees.

I've given the detailed recipe of my solvent on more than one occasion, but since you missed it I'll detail it again.

DAWN clear dishwashing liquid.

The most important ingredient is time.

Comment

Here ya go, buddy...

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                    You forgot the little

The hi-tech tub is a 48 quart igloo cooler.
                    I'd used a yeti previously but the heated water would never get above 33 degrees F.

It has a 1000 watt heater and a temperature controller that keeps the water at exactly 115 degrees.

I've given the detailed recipe of my solvent on more than one occasion, but since you missed it I'll detail it again.

DAWN clear dishwashing liquid.

The most important ingredient is time.
                    Thanks Kevin

I saw above you said that boiling makes it harder to clean. I have always "boiled" (actually simmered slightly below boiling) the few I have done. Guess next round I will be using your method.

How do you go from fresh to where you started above? Just cut off everything you can or use some other step?

Comment

I macerate most everything.

Every so often I sub some to be done with beetles.

Comment

Prime it with Kilz and paint it a metallic black or dark grey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                          Prime it with Kilz and paint it a metallic black or dark grey.
                          Please keep comments like that in your threads.
                          Painted skulls are uglier than home made soap.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            Please keep comments like that in your threads.
                            Painted skulls are uglier than home made soap.
                            lol

I'm in for the how to. I do have some questions about maceration though. Some people through it in a bucket of water. So do you put a lid on the bucket or leave it open? How often do you drain and refresh the water? I have heard that "Rid-X" helps the process, is that true?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
                              lol

I'm in for the how to. I do have some questions about maceration though. Some people through it in a bucket of water. So do you put a lid on the bucket or leave it open? How often do you drain and refresh the water? I have heard that "Rid-X" helps the process, is that true?

Thanks
                              How do you keep the horns from the sunlight? No way i can keep that funk inside out of sunlight. I hate having to stain the horns. But i am done with boiling. Too much time and mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X