Nosler 26 for moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosler 26 for moose

What's yalls opinion on the nosler 26... 6.5mm for Canadian moose?
    I'm thinking of loading 160 grain matrix VLD or the 127 grain Barnes long range.

You should be good. Lung shot you're good, shoulder not so much.

Comment

160gr thick hide

Comment

Man, it will kill them dead. However, with big tough (and expensive) animals like a moose I would go larger. Killing big tough animals is like building a race engine--there is no true replacement for displacement.

I would prefer a big magnum and the choice also depends on terrain. In thick brush very little can touch a .375 or .416. If open/long shots a .300 or .338 would be ideal. I have a screaming .257 STW (hot tamale) ant have no doubt it would smoke a moose with a TSX. I also know I would never pack the gun on a moose hunt.

Comment

It will kill a moose but you sure are limiting your shot options using something that small on moose. A 338 win mag with 250 gr Nosler Partitions is about perfect

Comment

No. I would not. I'm shooting my 300wby.

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate for a second. The SD on 6.5mm rounds is ridiculous, that's why they penetrate so deep.

Europeans have been using much milder 6.5mm calibers to kill large animals for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                It will kill a moose but you sure are limiting your shot options using something that small on moose. A 338 win mag with 250 gr Nosler Partitions is about perfect

x 2 ... my thoughts exactly

Comment

Agreed.. This hunt is another one of those 300win minimums for me. My Alaska yukon moose hunt will be taking my bow and 300rum unless I have it rebarreled to one of the .338 before then.

Comment

Swedes have killed their moose with a 6.5x55 sense that round came out. Go bonded but have at it. Open sight 30-30 works to so a 26 nosler is a cannon. Ever watch the Alaskan shows, life below zero? Pretty sure the 26 nosler will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck8 View Post
                      No. I would not. I'm shooting my 300wby.

Ok help me understand? The nosler 26 with 160 grain matrix has 3112 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards and 2094 at 500.
                      Your 300 wby mag shooting a 200 tsx has 2976 ft lbs at 100 yards and 1478 at 500.

What makes the 300 superior?

Honest question I'm trying to learn

Comment

I don't know much about ammo and rifles. I would say whatever you shoot, keep shooting until it goes down.

Where and when are you going?

Comment

Going in sept. We will be hunting on the cree Indian reservation. It will be going twice this year once in sept for moose and elk and then in dec for WT and muledeer.

Comment

X4

Comment

A moose is just a really big deer and likely not as tough as a WT, pound for pound.

Having said that and even though your numbers show the 6.5 with a edge, I'd want all the gun I could get my hands on.

I'd want the biggest nastiest wound channel with the heavies bullet for deepest possible penatration. Sure the 6.5 will do it and likely do it well, just most would prefer to not show up to the races with a dual turbo small block and pull up next to a dual turbo big block on racing tires....

Have you actually shot that 160 grain matrix? That's a LOT of bullet to stabilize and shoot accurately.

In the end, it's up to you but there's a reason why Africa has a minium for dangerous game.

BTW-good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X