1/3 whole backstrap - trimmed
    Crabmeat
    Shrimp
    Bacon
    butter
    seasoning

Sauce:
    small carton heavy whipping cream
    4-5 tablespoons spicy dijon mustard (w/ horseradish works great also)
    chopped green onions

Saute' crab and shrimp in butter and a little bit of seasoning. Set aside.
    Take trimmed (silverskin removed) backstrap and insert medium kitchen knife in one end until the tip is around one inch from the other end of the backstrap.

Make several turns of the knife to create hole in the middle of the strap. Take the sauteed crab/shrimp mixture and stuff the backstrap until completely full and without blowing out the sides. Lay 3-4 strips of bacon on a plate and roll the strap up and secure with toothpics. Season outside completely.

While preparing the strap, add the heavy whipping cream and dijon mustard to a small saucepot. Cook down on medium to blend. Add chopped green onions and reduce heat till served.

Grill strap over high heat till medium rare. Cook time will vary with strap size (basically when bacon is done). Do not overcook!

Slice in 1/2" portions, top with remainder of sauteed crab/shrimp and serve with cream sauce.

Made this a couple times and it is very good!

sounds good. I'd like to try it.

Comment

Some pictures from a friend's cell phone:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffed Strap 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	23852542

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffed Strap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	23852543

Comment

Sounds unbelievably good! Thanks for sharing. Love the avatar!

Comment

this recipe will definately get my full attention soon!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
            this recipe will definately get my full attention soon!
            x2!!

Comment

Thanks Derrik, I'll be making that next weekend for our annual Rogers Dove Round-up

Comment

Just checking the recipe on TBH, and heading off to the kitchen (102 outside) to get it ready to go on the grill with a pork loin as a side dish for friends who've never tried venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                  Just checking the recipe on TBH, and heading off to the kitchen (102 outside) to get it ready to go on the grill with a pork loin as a side dish for friends who've never tried venison.
                  OK, Bill. Time for an update!

Comment

Could ya'll explain how to make the hole in the backstrap again? I'm a little slow.

Comment

Chew, check out the first few pix from this recipe. It'll show you how to slice it.

Comment

Ok. I thought he was "coring" the middle out. Thanks.

Comment

AWESOME! I'm sitting at the patio table with the 'aftermath' of last night's get together still needing to be addressed, but I needed my coffee and a TBH update, 1st. Priorities in life!

I followed the recipe. I thawed the backstrap in 1/2 milk, 1/2 water for a couple hours. I have a Buck filleting knife which made a neat pocket inside. When I browned up the crabmeat and shrimp in butter, I put in a tablespoon of ground garlic first- I live 20 miles north of the garlic capital of the US (Gilroy) so we use it a lot.

After 'stuffing' the backstrap, I wrapped an X of bacon over the 'open' end to keep the stuffing inside, and after pinning the thick bacon strips on with toothpicks, I brought home a piece of string from the butcher that they use for rolled roasts, etc. That kept it all together as I cooked it on the grill. The advise on take it off when the bacon is cooked is right-on, since there's no way to check the meat without making a mess. I like well-done beef, and the venison was pink to a little red on the inside, and it tasted incredible.

Comment

It just wouldn't be TBH without pictures, would it?

My daughter asked, "Dad, why are you taking pictures of what you're cooking?".

Filet knive for those with questions

Crabmeat, shrimp and garlic in butter

Stuffed, pre-wrapping

Pinned and wrapped with butcher's cord.

Ready to eat!

And once again, the google map of where I shot it. Simply amazing the imagry is this detailed.

Comment

Looks good! How'd it taste? Gotta make this one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X