Hunting old school ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting old school ;-)

Well my kids are 6-7 and I figured it was time to build a gun blind thinking they might be ready in the next couple years to kill their first deer. My wife has also shown a little interest in maybe trying this hunting thing. She has gone with me a couple times but nothing worth shooting showed up. All that being said I figured I'd start them out much like I did with my dad. My dad's idea of a blind was much like I built today. He figured ( and back then most everyone else did as well) all a blind had to do was conceal your movement. And thus did not need to be anything fancy. A little rain on your head was ok and getting cold was just part of it as well, besides, it made your tuff!
    I got some old fence sections from my neighbor ( free )
    Bought $20 in screws and nails and headed for the lease.
    I didn't bring a measuring tape, level, or a hand saw. But I did bring a chain saw and a screw gun and hammer. ............ No CARPENTRY SKILLS WERE THREATENED IN THE MAKING OF THIS BLIND. I can build a nice blind when I want to but I do t want to spoil my wife and kids right from the start :-)

That's awesome!
    God for you in helping them 'earn it'

Comment

Ive hunted out of alot worse. Sometimes nailed to a tree that swayed alot.

Comment

Awesome!

Before someone else chimes in....not level, plumb nor square but awesome nonetheless.

Great project! Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
          That's awesome!
          God for you in helping them 'earn it'

I got wet and froze to death until I was 42 ( got a stand heater for Christmas)
          Heck I only gun hunt and use the heater when my kids go with me.
          I did put a roof on that thing but it will leak in a good down pour I'm sure

Comment

Originally posted by Ducksmith View Post
            Awesome!

Before someone else chimes in....not level, plumb nor square but awesome nonetheless.

Great project! Best of luck
            It is certainly none of the things you mentioned lol but my kids will never know the difference.

And thanks

Comment

Cool idea but adding a basic roof will make them more comfy and really get them into it. If it was just a son I could understand but making the wife feel cozy will go a long way.

Comment

Pretend you're part of F Troop and you're in the fort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                  Cool idea but adding a basic roof will make them more comfy and really get them into it. If it was just a son I could understand but making the wife feel cozy will go a long way.
                  I did add a roof, had just enough pickets left to cover it.
                  I do plan to put something on the inside to close off the gaps in the pickets as well. Got to make sure they enjoy it a little bit so they want to come back

Comment

Greatness!!! Nothing at all wrong with a little simplicity!!

Comment

Looks great. If you were closer I'd share some underlayment material for the roof.

Comment

Brillant. I love this part: "But I did bring a chain saw and a screw gun and hammer” An Eastwing, Dewalt, and an Echo...you brought all the good stuff!

Came out nice, well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                          Greatness!!! Nothing at all wrong with a little simplicity!!

Originally posted by Waggoner View Post
                          Looks great. If you were closer I'd share some underlayment material for the roof.
                          That would be nice
                          Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                          Brillant. I love this part: "But I did bring a chain saw and a screw gun and hammer” An Eastwing, Dewalt, and an Echo...you brought all the good stuff!
                          All I forgot was tie wire and duct tape
                          Most anything can be done with these tools

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post

Actually, I had an east wing, Dewalt and a STIHL

Comment

One of my favorite stands is my fence board blind.

Comment

Working...
                              X