Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County
Default Possible Cure for Moultrie Cam "SD CARD LOCKED" Error Message

I am still running a couple of the old Moultrie 200 camera's. Still get whiteout pics some but the killer was when one camera kept showing "SD CARD LOCKED" when the card was not locked. I talked to the folks at Moultrie and they told me to try blowing out the card slot with compressed air. Didn't fix the problem. They said that the camera wasn't worth fixing so I put it on the shelf to save for parts for the one camera that was still working. I got to thinking about the old days when I had to try to keep a main frame NCR computer running. Every once in a while I would get an error on a board and the NCR tech would have me pull the board and clean the contacts with an eraser which if I recall correctly removed oxidation on the contacts. I got one of my SD cards out and "cleaned" the contacts with an eraser. Popped the card in the Moultrie and no more message. So far the camera has taken about 40 pictures and is still going. Just thought I would pass this along to see if it would help anyone else.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
DrenalinJunkie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nebraska, Montgomery Co., Colorado Co.

Thanks for the info!
DrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
BJOHN
Six Point

Thanks for the info. I will have to try and remember that since I have 2 of them.

bjohn
BJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Man, thats good to know. Thanks. I have a camera giving me that message now. Glad I didnt chunk the camera in the trash. got the kids lookin for a pencil right now!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
q2xlman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lease in Frio county and anywhere I can!

That's great info. I have two of the 200's and got that message last week! I'm going to try it for sure. Thanks!
q2xlman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
jay
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton and Leon County

Had that message last time I was at the lease. Wiped the card down on my shirt and put it back in with no message. Next time I will use a pencil eraser.
jay is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Bowtech32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quanah, Hardeman Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I am still running a couple of the old Moultrie 200 camera's. Still get whiteout pics some but the killer was when one camera kept showing "SD CARD LOCKED" when the card was not locked. I talked to the folks at Moultrie and they told me to try blowing out the card slot with compressed air. Didn't fix the problem. They said that the camera wasn't worth fixing so I put it on the shelf to save for parts for the one camera that was still working. I got to thinking about the old days when I had to try to keep a main frame NCR computer running. Every once in a while I would get an error on a board and the NCR tech would have me pull the board and clean the contacts with an eraser which if I recall correctly removed oxidation on the contacts. I got one of my SD cards out and "cleaned" the contacts with an eraser. Popped the card in the Moultrie and no more message. So far the camera has taken about 40 pictures and is still going. Just thought I would pass this along to see if it would help anyone else.

WOW, small world I work for that company mentioned.
Bowtech32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
scode
Six Point

Hunt In: Fairfield

I had the same display last week. Thanks for info.
scode is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Double L
Pope & Young

If the eraser on the SD card doesn't work be sure and blow out the card slot in the camera with compressed air.

I hope this is not a quick fix but my camera would come up with the problem almost immediately after I turned it on. As soon as I cleaned the contacts on the card with the eraser it started working. I was hoping it would help some of you guys as well. I seem to remember the SD Card Locked issue was a common one for these camera's.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County
Thumbs up

Great Info!! Have that problem all the time. THANKS!!!
DNTRanch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Biggs
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green

I have the same SD CARD LOCKED problem... all i do is play with different orders of blowing out the card slot, putting the card in while camera is on, putting it in while camera is off, turning it off and then back on then putting the card in, etc... it always works eventually until I take the card out. then I have to start over!!
Biggs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Double L
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
I have the same SD CARD LOCKED problem... all i do is play with different orders of blowing out the card slot, putting the card in while camera is on, putting it in while camera is off, turning it off and then back on then putting the card in, etc... it always works eventually until I take the card out. then I have to start over!!

I played that game for a while with this one. It finally got so bad that the problem was rock solid. That is when I called Moultrie and they said that the camera wasn't worth fixing. I am still crossing my fingers that this fixes the problem....at least for a while.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
elhefe
Ten Point

thanks for the info. I had the same problem the other day but it just went away. I'll know what to do next time.
elhefe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Hmm, all I've had to do is set the lock selector to 1/2 way locked/unlocked and this cleared. I've done that a few times.

With one card this is the only way it will roll in my moultrie
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Dalton
Six Point

Hunt In: new waverly texas

i have also had the prblem even though i have tried both ways said eraser and compressed air. the camera seems to work at first . it doesnt give the message "sD card locked it says 0 out of **** number of picks but then when i set it up and set it up it says SD Card Locked
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
faycotrophyhunter
Eight Point

i guess i'm lucky with that problem. the problem i have with my 200 is that the flash disables the camera. with error check flash appearing. it works perfect when i cut the flash off and have it on the security setting. does anyone have any ideas about what to do there?
faycotrophyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #17
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem! Thanks for the tip Double L. I'll remember this when I check my camera after the morning hunt. I have been doing the 'Biggs' routine the past couple of weeks when the problem started. lol
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #18
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

I will remember that. I have a 200 that is still going. Its been the best Moultrie TC to date. Hope it keeps going, its on my feeder now since I had to pull and replace my I40 last weekend.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
dr730
Eight Point

I have been having this problem too. Last time I had it set out for a few weeks and was all excited about checking it, only to find the dreaded "SD CARD LOCKED" message! I will try the eraser thing. Can you see the oxidation on the sd card?
dr730 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
Double L
Pope & Young

I didn't get my 200 with the "SD card locked" message set up at the lease yet. However my other 200 that has been working didn't take one picture....display read 000/0000 when I checked it. I pulled the card and checked it and the display was correct....no pictures. I turned it off and back on and it took 2 pictures before I left the area. Hopefully when I check it this weekend I will have some pics to look at.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #21
Double L
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr730 View Post
I have been having this problem too. Last time I had it set out for a few weeks and was all excited about checking it, only to find the dreaded "SD CARD LOCKED" message! I will try the eraser thing. Can you see the oxidation on the sd card?
No, the contacts look fine to the naked eye. Give it a try and hopefully it will help.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #22
dr730
Eight Point

Thanks for the info! I have really liked this camera...when it works. Nothing worse than looking forward to checking your cam for a few weeks and seeing errors when you show up!
dr730 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #23
Keith
Administrator

Hunt In: Looking for an affordable lease for my kids

My Homebrew with a D-380 never gave me a problem.

Hi, cousin Larry!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
Double L
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
My Homebrew with a D-380 never gave me a problem.

Hi, cousin Larry!
Hi cousin Keith! How's the back doing?

My homebrew didn't either....but the dang things ate batteries like no tomorrow. One of the lcd screens bit the dust and the IR slave flash went out on the other. I combined the good camera and good flash but haven't put it back out at the lease due to the battery issue. These Moultries would be great if they would just work. The rechargable battery and solar panel work great. I need to find out what to do to get a rechargable and solar panel on my homebrew.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #25
Dalton
Six Point

double L my camera does the same things... Sd card locked and 000\0000 pics and it also appears to work sometime until says 000\1112 pics until the motion sensor goes off and then it says sd card locked I have tried everything besides taking the cam apart.. got any ideas
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #26
Double L
Pope & Young

Short of throwing it out in the middle of the road and letting someone run over it....no. The eraser thing was just something that I tried that got mine taking pictures again.....still unproven as to how long that would last.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Dalton
Six Point

double L I have the same problems.... my cam says sd card locked and it also says 000\0000 sometime I dunno but them other times it says 000\1112 and seems like it would work fine until the motion sensor goes off and then it flashes on the screen sd card locked.. and suggestions