Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
R Herline Jr
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Llano, Sabine Island. Anywhere
Default What year did Grayson County start Archery only hunting?

Does anyone know when or why?
R Herline Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
R Herline Jr
Banned!!!

No one knows! Dang
Old 08-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
jruss
Ten Point

Hunt In: sook/nortex

I think it was the same year grayson co. started taking away private property rights.
jruss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

It has been archery only for as long as I can remember. Like in the 80s and all. And the state sets the allowed weapons, not the county. So it has nothing to do with the county overstepping the rights of land owners.

Residents petitioned the state to keep it archery only, so they did.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
jruss
Ten Point

dang my bad,, thought for sure this issue was in comissioner court in 07 0r 08.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

If they were to open gun season up there all kinds of State deer records would fall.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruss View Post
dang my bad,, thought for sure this issue was in comissioner court in 07 0r 08.
You may be thinking about crossbows.....

It was archery only in 1990 for sure...my first year in the area. not sure the exact year it started though.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
R Herline Jr
Banned!!!

don't get me wrong I am all for it. some guys at work asked me why so I figured I would ask you guys?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Was in the 1980's....just can't remember exact year. And we prefer to keep it archery season
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
I think it was the same year grayson co. started taking away private property rights.
Grayson County didn't take away anything....
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Savage Coyote
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX

Was curious myself as I'm going to be building out there and hunting
Savage Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
jruss
Ten Point

So how did it come about then? I have not picked up a rifle for deer in 4 years. i wouldnt shoot a rifle if it were leagal. I just think it is wrong to tell anyone what they can and cant do on thier own land.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
jruss
Ten Point

GRAYSON COUNTY, Tex. -- Deer hunting is a time-honored tradition for many Texomans, but this year questions have been raised about changing hunting laws in Grayson County. County commissioners came down on the side of tradition Monday when they discussed whether allow rifle hunting during whitetail deer season. Stephanie Brletic has the details.

Grayson County is the only Texas County that does not allow rifle use during white-tail deer season, but one anonymous Tarrant County resident is asking Texas Parks and Wildlife to change that.

Grayson County commissioners voted to continue bow-use only on Monday.

Brock Benson, president of the Grayson County Whitetail Association, is happy with the decision.

"We feel that archery hunters may take a little more pride in managing the herd and allowing the herd to grow and allowing it to mature, to get to a healthy age where they can be taken from the herd without causing damage to the herd overall."

Benson says that if rifles are used, the number of deer harvested could double. Resident Bear Smith feels similarly. He says using a rifle makes it easier and quicker to kill more deer, since a rifle can hit the animals from 800-900 yards away, but using a bow takes more skill, since the range is only 40 yards.

"In Grayson County, we have a lot of big deer. If we turn around and start letting people shoot them with guns, we're going to have a serious problem with our deer population because anyone can shoot one with a gun," Smith says.

There are other issues, such as stray bullets that could harm livestock or even residents. Those were risks Grayson County Judge Drue Bynum does not want to take.

"We want to give people quality of life, at the same time we know our population is growing, and if we go out and allow a firearm season for the whitetail harvest in Grayson County, then as the county fills up with people, we feel like that becomes a real safety issue."

There was not a single person in favor of allowing rifle hunting at Mondayís meeting. Citizens actually applauded for the unanimous no-rifle proclamation, a decision Bynum stands behind.

"By being proactive in what we did, we'll send a loud and clear message to the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Senator Estes and Representative Phillips have both said that they would support the decision that came forth today."

Bynum tells us Texas Parks and Wildlife does have the ability to overrule the commissioners' decision, but he does not expect that to happen.

copy and paste off of kxii website. from 2008. so i guess grayson co court of comish had some say in it.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #14
Grayson
Pope & Young

This is 6 years old. Why are you bringing it up?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

Very interesting....
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
jruss
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
this was your post so i looked it up and posted it.

OP I dont know when it first became A/O. My google wont tell me.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Herline Jr View Post
Does anyone know when or why?
Word is some rich and powerful lawyer up there didn't want to compete with rifle hunters and had the change enacted. He wanted a private reserve for bowhunters only.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
jruss
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Word is some rich and powerful lawyer up there didn't want to compete with rifle hunters and had the change enacted. He wanted a private reserve for bowhunters only.
forgot to mention he was from Dallas
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Kind of relevant isn't it?

Only thing I don't agree with in that old post was the judge using stray bullets striking livestock or people being a valid reason

I think a lot of Texas counties would see great improvements in deer numbers and quality if they went to short (1-2 week) gun seasons and archery seasons for the rest of the current season dates.

Not pushing for that but just my opinion
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
R Herline Jr
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

Only thing I don't agree with in that old post was the judge using stray bullets striking livestock or people being a valid reason

I think a lot of Texas counties would see great improvements in deer numbers and quality if they went to short (1-2 week) gun seasons and archery seasons for the rest of the current season dates.

I agree
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Old news....several counties in TX have archery only seasons now. Grayson county was just the blueprint proving it works in populated counties!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
this was your post so i looked it up and posted it.

OP I dont know when it first became A/O. My google wont tell me.
The state of Texas created the archery-only season. Like I said, Grayson County didn't take away anything.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Boomer57
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher Co.

Prolly archery only was pushed through by a pollititian how had a lot to gain, owned a lot of land or something.
Boomer57 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #24
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Old news....several counties in TX have archery only seasons now. Grayson county was just the blueprint proving it works in populated counties!
Don't get me wrong when I say this, because I think Grayson should be archery only for eternity, but there are a lot of counties with much higher populations than Grayson that have no weapon restrictions for general season.

Personally I think they did it mostly because the highest population of larger mature deer that everyone wants to kill are in and around the refuge. And if bordering properties were allowed to use rifles they would hammer the big bucks as the jumped the fence, sometimes before they did.

Keeping it archery only keeps the hunter success rate to about 25% and keeps the herd in tact. There are deer in other parts of the county, but the majority of the hunting is from between Whitesboro and Sherman.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #25
eliteweldingco
Ten Point

Hunt In: grayson

Grayson Cty has a great thing going. Lets hope they never screw it up!
eliteweldingco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #26
friscopaint
Ten Point

Deer aren't everywhere in Grayson county, very few around my place, not even worth hanging a stand.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #27
TXBlkCld
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Denton Co & Grayson Co

Hey, I know that Benson fella. Kindly shady though. You gotta watch him. He's go those shifty eyes.....
TXBlkCld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #28
muzzyslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Fannin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Was in the 1980's....just can't remember exact year. And we prefer to keep it archery season
X2
muzzyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Bow only in Grayson Co. is the best thing that ever happened. We have free ranging deer on our ranch that are absolute freaks because they got the chance to mature. You don't this near as much in rifle counties.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #30
Bobcat
Ten Point

JRuss, sorry just seeing this thread. So the question is why and how did Grayson become archery only?

Let’s go back to the 60's. The state determined there was no longer a recreationally huntable population in the county. Let that sink in for a moment.

In the 80's the draw hunt was developed as a means of managing the deer population in the refuge. This doesn't mean the population was recovered or large, simply that a density existed IN THE REFUGE that required a harvest to IMPROVE THE HABITAT there. Remember, the refuge is primarily a migrating waterfowl area.

In the early 90's the state reinstituted a legal harvest within the county by means of archery, using the Hagerman hunt as a template... for a reason.

Passthrough, HuntnTx, GRAYSON and a few others are correct. The state reinstituted the harvest by means of archery and the success of Hagerman's hunt provided a template. The citizens protected that self-imposed means of harvest by petition and vocal representation. So nothing was taken away. In fact... Grayson County stands as a great example of how a smaller herd in highly fragmented and agriculturally developed (plowed/planted monoculture/year-round grazing) lands among highly fragmented properties (development and property division) with diverse "management perspectives" can sustain a high degree of recreational hunting pressure, while maintaining healthy buck to doe ratios and even better than average maturity within the buck population. WHEW, that is a lot! Fewer deer with greater available resources plus maturity equals more bone... and that occurred by happenstance.

In fact, if you look at Hagerman with its nine days of hunting and realize that NO ONE is feeding protein or aggressively harvesting perceived inferior deer... you might simply start managing towards the correct carrying capacity for your land and towards improved buck maturation. Drink deeply of that thought too.

The plan is one that has worked so well both biologically and socially that has it become adopted by other counties dealing with the same issues. Also keep in mind that firearm hunting is permitted for other large mammals like varmints and hogs.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #31
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Heck, I wish he would get property is about 100 other counties in Texas.....lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post

I will vote for that!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #32
mdmorrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County / Pottsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
JRuss, sorry just seeing this thread. So the question is why and how did Grayson become archery only?

Letís go back to the 60's. The state determined there was no longer a recreationally huntable population in the county. Let that sink in for a moment.

In the 80's the draw hunt was developed as a means of managing the deer population in the refuge. This doesn't mean the population was recovered or large, simply that a density existed IN THE REFUGE that required a harvest to IMPROVE THE HABITAT there. Remember, the refuge is primarily a migrating waterfowl area.

In the early 90's the state reinstituted a legal harvest within the county by means of archery, using the Hagerman hunt as a template... for a reason.

Passthrough, HuntnTx, GRAYSON and a few others are correct. The state reinstituted the harvest by means of archery and the success of Hagerman's hunt provided a template. The citizens protected that self-imposed means of harvest by petition and vocal representation. So nothing was taken away. In fact... Grayson County stands as a great example of how a smaller herd in highly fragmented and agriculturally developed (plowed/planted monoculture/year-round grazing) lands among highly fragmented properties (development and property division) with diverse "management perspectives" can sustain a high degree of recreational hunting pressure, while maintaining healthy buck to doe ratios and even better than average maturity within the buck population. WHEW, that is a lot! Fewer deer with greater available resources plus maturity equals more bone... and that occurred by happenstance.

In fact, if you look at Hagerman with its nine days of hunting and realize that NO ONE is feeding protein or aggressively harvesting perceived inferior deer... you might simply start managing towards the correct carrying capacity for your land and towards improved buck maturation. Drink deeply of that thought too.

The plan is one that has worked so well both biologically and socially that has it become adopted by other counties dealing with the same issues. Also keep in mind that firearm hunting is permitted for other large mammals like varmints and hogs.
Excellent write up
mdmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #33
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

Quote:

Letís go back to the 60's. The state determined there was no longer a recreationally huntable population in the county. Let that sink in for a moment.

thanks for the info
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #34
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

I hope they keep it bow only forever and never change it.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #35
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
I hope they keep it bow only forever and never change it.
x2
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #36
GW2210
Four Point

The archery only "General " season in Grayson County started in 1999.
GW2210 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #37
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
dang, you were fightin that fight 2 years ago too?
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #38
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

Hopefully they keep it bow only for ever!!!

<--------------Both Grayson County bruisers.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #39
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Growing up around here, there used to be VERY FEW deer. As it started to get a few more they started allowing hunting. It went from "no open season" to an "archery season". Never has been changed for archery and rifle, and many don't want it to.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #40
Reaper33
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County, Cooper, Lavon

I love that Grayson is bow only. Keeps things nice and quiet during the season. If you hear a bang it should be from a shotgun. If its not a shotgun shot then I start to get suspicious and looking to see if I see any strange trucks driving around. I know in my area we all pretty much know what everyone drives so we all look out for each other.
Reaper33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
txchuck
Six Point

GW 2210 is correct. I believe that there was a Hagerman hunt for a few years before any there was any season in the county and that when the season started in the county it was in archery season only for a couple of years.
Also in the late 50s ( that's right I'm old) there was no appreciable deer population in Grayson county. I am saying this as someone who varmint hunted a lot during that period.
Chuck
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #42
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:

It took a year and a half to get the answer. And an excellent one at that.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #43
Bobcat
Ten Point

Sorry I was away for a little while. Glad the info is helpful. Good Hunting!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #44
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Bosque Freestone Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Anyone know the actual first year they had an archery hunt on the refuge, how many hunters drawn, which units were open? Would love to know the history. I found this story of this traditional taken deer at the refuge in 1995, not sure if that was the first hunt or not...

bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #45
kch73
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I have never hunted in Grayson county. However, I spent a lot of time in a summer camp in that area from 1986 to 1991. At the time, the facility was Texoma Lutheran Camp. I believe now the Episcopal church runs the camp. It was on the Lake, near Mill Creek. I can tell you in five summers up there I never saw a doe much less a monster buck. Not to say they weren't around but I did a ton of early and late fishing in those coves and never saw any deer.

As far the season timeframe...I think the Fed's allowed bow hunting in Hagerman earlier than the State did for the General Archery season. I think as long as big bucks reside in Grayson county and Hagerman there will always be some controversy.
kch73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #46
bossbowman
Ten Point

Best I can tell they first had an open deer season on the refuge, then a season for the county but it was at first restricted to october only, then in 1999 extended it throught the first sunday in january. Just curious on the years of the former two.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #47
Havalon
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I hope they never change it, and would advocate more archery only counties, esp the smaller counties.
Havalon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #48
12ring
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, OK, KS.
Default Junior Robertson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Anyone know the actual first year they had an archery hunt on the refuge, how many hunters drawn, which units were open? Would love to know the history. I found this story of this traditional taken deer at the refuge in 1995, not sure if that was the first hunt or not...

Had the pleasure of knowing Junior. Shot lots of 3D with him. Best I ever saw with a stick bow. Could compete with most compound shooters.

Think that deer netted 200 5/8". Biggest recurve kill in Texas at the time. Might still be. ???
12ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #49
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Iíve hunted the ďHagĒ 9 r 10 times and wouldnít hunt it any other way than archery.
Period
End of story
Big girl sung
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #50
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ring View Post
Biggest recurve kill in Texas at the time. Might still be. ???
I think it is. Where there more trad hunters at H back then, I know we saw a few there in 2009 and I think one even punched his golden ticket but haven't seen any there in the hunts picked for since.