Hogboy’s Birthday Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogboy’s Birthday Present

I had to miss work Friday to get a 60 year checkup and the assessment came back good. I still have a passion for bowhunting, the ability to do it, and a lot of adrenaline running through my veins. So with the help of some great friends, I hope to be able to continue bowhunting for years to come.

First let me thank Rsatt, DJM, Benben, Lemmeout, and wives for coming out to celebrate my Bday, do some much needed work, and help with hog control. Now on to the hunt.

I never envisioned myself at 60 years old, sitting on a bucket, on a wooden platform 15 feet up in a tree, at 7:00 in the evening, it’s still 97 degrees outside, with mosquitos and no wind, and enjoying it. I threw out my hand corn, got settled into Grandpa’s stand, and fired up the Thermacell, no more skeeters, good. We are defending 200 acres of corn, had some recent pigs on trailcam, and Rsatt had rolled a big boar with his 300 Win mag the previous night, so all signs pointed to a good sit. I set up the camera and turn it on, “Change Battery!” Looks like no filming tonight, bad. I nock an arrow, do a bow check, and the Hawglite is dead, another bad. I usually set the feeder for a second late evening throw on the weekends I hunt. Not long after the 8:30 hog throw, I hear a couple of pigs fighting on the property behind me. A few minutes later, I hear some piglets squealing, but it sounded like they are moving away from me, up the levee toward DJM. Doug and Lemmeout had jumped a pretty big sounder of pigs in that area last weekend, and Doug managed one with the shotgun. Friday night he was waiting with the AR-15 and was looking to do some more damage.

Just when I thought they had moved on, I caught movement on the fence line. First I see one, then 3, then it started raining pigs. At least 25-30, all shapes and sizes. A couple of spotted, a bunch of piglets, a lot of nice looking pit pigs, and the largest boar I have ever seen while on stand. The big boar was dogging a sow and angling away through the woods, so I figured no way he cared about the corn. Because of my light situation, I had already decided to take the first good opportunity that presented itself. 3 or 4 shoats had already started on the hand corn right in front of me and others were streaming in. I was about to skewer a pit pig, when I saw 2 larger pigs circling around the tree to my right. I readjust my stance and before I know it, there goes a pig with my nocturnal in him. The rest of the pigs took off. I nocked another arrow and could hear a few hanging close, but after 10 minutes, none came back in.

My initial thought was, it looked like alot of arrow sticking out, probably high and caught some good shield. I knew there wasn’t going to be an immediate blood trail, so when I climbed down, I headed to the last sighting and there he was, piled up in the grass 20 feet away. Turned out to be a 170 lb. boar and he only made it 60 yards. Icing on the birthday cake.

Chalk one up for the mature guys and thanks for coming along for the ride.

Hogboy

Click image for larger version

Name:	170 birthday boar tbh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	25024173

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary 170 lb Birthday boar tbh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	25024174

Nice

Comment

Congrats! That's a nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL71 View Post
        Nice
        X2

Comment

always a pleasure being out there. Very happy you ended the dry spell with that beastie. Congrats brother and great write up. Thank you and Syl for the hospitality and kindness you share with me and Boomer.

Comment

Congrats! Nice hog and write up.

Comment

That's a good un Gary! Happy Birthday!!!!!

Comment

Congrats and Happy Birthday.

Comment

Congrats! Happy Birthday!

Comment

LOVE it! It sounds like you had a great evening brother. Congrats on grounding the big boar!!!

Comment

Congrats and Happy B-Day
                      Great write up

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                        Congrats and Happy B-Day
                        Great write up
                        ^^^^^This

Comment

Congrats !

Good write up, nice to see a hunting related thread, instead of 'let's talk toothpaste
                          Let me know when you trap some of those Pit size Pigs

KAP

Comment

Great job Gary.That ole boar was stinky and HEAVY!Glad I was there.Looking forward to the next trip.

DJ

Comment

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Second, congrats on a fine looking Birthday Hog.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X