Barrel life report on 26 nosler....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel life report on 26 nosler....

My gunsmith just messaged me and said they checked the barrel on one of their first 26 nosler builds. After 100 rounds he said it looked like a 7 mag after 800 rounds. Saw that coming lol

Trying to get all that pressure and flame down that itty-bitty hole with the bullet blocking the way is gonna do that. The .220 Swift and .264 Win Mag are last century's examples of it as well.

Comment

Minor item! Just get a new barrel every couple years. :-). Issue resolved.

Comment

I can't wait to build this barrel burner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405046082.714866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24314734

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
          Or every quarter

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            They are thinking 500-600 rounds tops. Soooo just a few months lol.

Comment

I would think for best groups it will need to be rebarrled in about 200 to 300 rounds!

Comment

Why? Why not shoot something that doesn't do that?

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                  Why? Why not shoot something that doesn't do that?
                  Exactly lol.

But the few rounds you get out of it should be impressive. It's a hunting rifle. Not a competition rifle.

Comment

You build this gun to kill stuff with, not plink at targets... I may never have to change out the barrel during my lifetime if it will get 500-600 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                      You build this gun to kill stuff with, not plink at targets... I may never have to change out the barrel during my lifetime if it will get 500-600 rounds.
                      Kind of my thoughts as well. Paper punching it will not be good for but critter punching it should be extremely good at.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                        And get very little practice? How do you expect to learn the ins and outs of it at distance? Which the round was designed for....

Comment

I think the swift gets a bad rap for barrel burning.
                          At least in the bull barrel 77 one I have been hunting with for many years
                          You prairie dog shooters' mileage may vary.
                          I think the .260 rem with 140's is hard to beat as a hunting cartridge

Big pig

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            And get very little practice? How do you expect to learn the ins and outs of it at distance? Which the round was designed for....

What do you call practice? I don't have to be caliber specific to understand a rounds ability and I have plenty of tac guns to "practice" with. I doubt I will ever shoot more than 20 rounds a year out of it.

Comment

I like to shoot in various conditions and winds o really "learn" the bullet. Only way I feel confident launching one a long way out for a first round hit. That's just me. I was just curious. Whatever works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X