I miss Festus Haggen (Ken Curtis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss Festus Haggen (Ken Curtis)

Never met the man in person, but sure enjoyed him on Gunsmoke in years past and still do to this day. Didn't know he could sing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWR6FLnPack&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Ken Curtis "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" Festus Country - YouTube[/ame]

Yep. He was a member of the Sons of the Pioneers before Gunsmoke.

Comment

He is on almost everyday! Just like Fred Sanford, I try to catch it at least 3 times per week!!!

Comment

Besides Gunsmoke I remember him in movies with John Wayne, The Alamo, The Horse Soldiers and The Wings of Eagles and also in Mister Roberts.

Comment

Very nice, I had know idea about the singing cowboy part.

Reminds me of one of my favorites, Marty Robbins.

Comment

WOW...He was awesome, didn't he sang as well, very good!

Comment

Festus was great. But don't forget before him was Chester. Durn I'm old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_41383306_gunsmoke_ap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	24310544

Comment

I saw him when I was a kid. He was at the RGV Livestock Show in Mercedes. I don't remember him singing, but he did ride around on his horse. My brother and I got his autograph. Wish I knew where we put that!

Comment

I got to shake his hand when I was like 8 or 9 yrs old. Was at a rodeo in Shreveport and he rode around the arena on his mule, shaking hands from along the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post

[ATTACH]628690[/ATTACH]
                    they almost never show the matt dillon episodes with chester. don't know why

Comment

Yes sir. I agree. Good stuff right there. I'll take an old Western any day over the garbage on tv now. Love the old tunes about that way of life.

Comment

Got to meet him and get picture with him at the jasper rodeo in 77,
                        i was only 5,
                        ill see if i can find the picture and post it on here.

Comment

Wow, who'd a thunk?

Comment

Originally posted by JDALEX View Post
                            Got to meet him and get picture with him at the jasper rodeo in 77,
                            i was only 5,
                            ill see if i can find the picture and post it on here.
                            That would be really cool if you find it and share on here.

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            I got to shake his hand when I was like 8 or 9 yrs old. Was at a rodeo in Shreveport and he rode around the arena on his mule, shaking hands from along the fence.

Very cool. Another member , who is no longer with us, (billybird) mentioned how he met Ken at a cattle auction in Oklahoma.

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                            I saw him when I was a kid. He was at the RGV Livestock Show in Mercedes. I don't remember him singing, but he did ride around on his horse. My brother and I got his autograph. Wish I knew where we put that!

That would be great if you can find it.

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                            Besides Gunsmoke I remember him in movies with John Wayne, The Alamo, The Horse Soldiers and The Wings of Eagles and also in Mister Roberts.
                            Seen him on at least one episode of Perry Mason a long time back.

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                            [ATTACH]628690[/ATTACH]
                            Oh yeah, I remember watching Chester in black and white episodes of Marshall Dillon just before Gunsmoke would air.

Comment

Gunsmoke is set on my DVR. I used to love watching it with my Grandpa and hearing him laugh at Doc and Festus arguing.

Comment

Working...
                              X