Texas public lands under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas public lands under attack

Did this get your attention? Well it should.

All Texas national forest and grasslands have had an order in place to not allow dispersed camping. What does this mean for us hunters? It means that campers can now camp anywhere in the forest and grasslands that they want to. Not only can they camp anywhere, they can do it during hunting season.

A trail coalition has been formed and they are pushing this even more. They are organized and are already making strides to get what they want.

I'll try and post up a pic of the order, but know that there is more to this order than just the camping. I have been talking to other members locally and that info can be found on the SHNF thread in the public hunting forum here.

I have sent a message to one of the moderators and they have agreed to put this at the top with a sticky.

I believe we hunters on public lands need to unite and start making our voices heard. If we don't we stand to lose even more.

As an example in the SHNF archery only area, a group of mountain bikers have gotten approval for a bike course. Now mind you the rules say you have to hunt 50 yards away from the trails. But we all know a deer will not stand around while someone walks of bikes by. So we will really need to be at least 100 yards away. Well where the trail is proposed and where the hiking trails are, this almost eliminates the entire section. So we have lost an archery only section of the forest.

If we don't start making our voices heard we may lose everything.

Here is the information for the SHNF.

SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL FOREST
    394 FM 1375 West
    New Waverly, Texas 77358
    Warren Oja, District Ranger
    Phone: (936) 344-6205
    Toll free: 1-888-361-6908
    Fax: (936) 344-2123

Here is the information for the person in charge of all of the National forests and the grasslands.

The following is a list of official orders/prohibitions issued by the Forest Supervisor for the National Forests & Grasslands in Texas. These orders describe the prohibitions, closures, and regulations for the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas and are subject to updates and changes. Maps are not attached to the orders, but may be obtained by contacting the Forest Supervisor's Office in Lufkin. Questions regarding these orders or requests for copies should be directed to Captain Chris Crain at (936) 639-8501, or USDA Forest Service, 2221 N. Raguet St., Lufkin, TX 75904.

Here is the order that has expired.

National Forests & Grasslands in Texas
    PROHIBITIONS
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE U.S. FOREST SERVICE
    415 South First Street Lufkin, Texas 75901
    ORDER OF FOREST SUPERVISOR
    ORDER NUMBER 08-13-00-09-06
    Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C., Section 551 and Title 36 C.F.R. 261.50(a) the following acts are prohibited within the specified area. National Forests & Grasslands in Texas. The area in question is shown on the attached map.
    This prohibition applies to all National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.
    1. Camping is prohibited except in designated camping areas as listed on the attached map, from September 15 till January 15 of each year. (Except in Wise County) 36 C.F.R. 261.58(e)
    2. Possessing a loaded firearm within or on a motor vehicle. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
    3. Possessing a loaded firearm within the following locations or sites: (a) a designated campsite; (b) a designated vehicle parking area; (c) a designated boat launching facility or area; (d) a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department or U.S. Forest Service Check Station; (e) a designated archery-only area. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas concealed handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)
    4. Being under the influence of alcohol or consuming alcoholic beverages while engaged in hunting activities, or publicly consuming or displaying an alcoholic beverage. 36 C.F.R. 261.58(bb)
    Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:
    1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.
    2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force
    in the performance of an official duty.
    These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A. Executed in Lufkin, Texas this 4 day of September , 2009.
    /s/ Linda Brett_________________
    LINDA BRETT
    Forest Supervisor
    National Forests and Grasslands in Texas
    This order is effective from September 15, 2009, and ending February 1, 2014.
    Violation of the prohibition set forth above is punishment by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual and $10,000 for an organization or imprisonment of not more than six (6) months, or both. 16 USC 551 and 18 USC 3559 and 3571.

Good work Damian. I hope everyone acts on this. It is important for all of us.

Comment

Guess they may get a bullet or arrow flying by em

Comment

I'd like to see the new use orders/regulations.

I bet they'll still make all the hunters camp in designated areas.

Comment

If you want to keep up with Schedule of Proposed Actions (SOPA)you can find it on their website on the right side under quick links.

Comment

Thanks for that link Froggy, I haven't seen that one yet.

Comment

Thanks John. If your serious about going fishing this weekend let me know. I'd like to discuss this with you some more.

Comment

I didn't read all of it but I think I got the jist.

1st of all, the title is misleading. I don't see anything that says it is limiting use of the land.

Secondly, what gives hunters anymore right to the lad than mountain bikers or campers?

Comment

Bookmark it and you can stay on top of any planned projects. You have to have substantive concerns and issues when you respond to the scoping letters.

When they scope a project you normally have 30 days to comment. They only received one comment from the public during the scoping period for the trails project you referenced.

Hunters voices often go unheard, I think in part to hunters not being an organized voice like trail clubs and associations.

If you can get some of the other public land hunters together to voice your concerns and issues with proposed projects it would certainly help to improve hunting and the outdoor experience for everyone. Go in with positive proposals and input. Keep in mind also that the Forest Service is a multiple-use agency.

It is the government and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Comment

I'm all for hunters rights, but it's public land, not just land for hunting. Let the public use it. Whether that means hunting or hiking or mountain biking. I don't like the idea of restrictions to benefit ONLY one group, even though I belong to that group.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                      I didn't read all of it but I think I got the jist.

1st of all, the title is misleading. I don't see anything that says it is limiting use of the land.

Secondly, what gives hunters anymore right to the lad than mountain bikers or campers?
                      What's happening is these groups have formed actual coalitions which are bringing more to the table than hunters are, as far as funds and improvements being made to the forest. The weight that they are bringing is outweighing what hunters are, therefore, their vote is mattering a little more. They want more use, and to do that safely, eventually that's going to involve us being farther away. I think it's likely that they won't reinstate the ban on camping during hunting season, which is going to cause a lot of friction between the groups. So the question will eventually become... who's contributing more to the woods? That will decide who gets priorities. So yes, I'd say there's an attack going on. Compromise between the groups is the only way this is going to be settled. Either way, this is not safe for them, or fair for us.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
                        I'm all for hunters rights, but it's public land, not just land for hunting. Let the public use it. Whether that means hunting or hiking or mountain biking. I don't like the idea of restrictions to benefit ONLY one group, even though I belong to that group.
                        Agreed! and well said.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                          What's happening is these groups have formed actual coalitions which are bringing more to the table than hunters are, as far as funds and improvements being made to the forest. The weight that they are bringing is outweighing what hunters are, therefore, their vote is mattering a little more. They want more use, and to do that safely, eventually that's going to involve us being farther away. I think it's likely that they won't reinstate the ban on camping during hunting season, which is going to cause a lot of friction between the groups. So the question will eventually become... who's contributing more to the woods? That will decide who gets priorities. So yes, I'd say there's an attack going on. Compromise between the groups is the only way this is going to be settled. Either way, this is not safe for them, or fair for us.
                          There is no attack is my point.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post

This. I have to agree, public land is just that for use by the public. Wether it be anything anyone enjoys doing legally. I'm a hunter and I hunt public land every. Just don't see how you can restrict public land use for one particular groups interest. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                              There is no attack is my point.
                              Little by little it's going to make hunting public land harder is the point. These coalitions of special-interest groups are going to see to that if it's not nipped in the bud.

Comment

Working...
                              X