Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water station troughs?....What are you using?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water station troughs?....What are you using?...

Entertaining running a water station at my favorite blind. I'm having a hard time deciding what size trough I need to use. I've asked a few folks and I've received several different answers, pros and cons, for large and small.

I've got suggestions for everything from the little stainless automatic water bowl to keep algae growth down to a minimum to going to a big 50 gallon trough so multiple deer can drink at one time.

So lets see what you are using....I'm open to all kinds of ideas at this point.

We've used troughs for several years. I like to put a gold fish in it to keep the mosquito down.

We keep the hogs from bathing in it by covering the middle section with an old gate or road sigh and a few cinder blocks.

As to keeping the deer around. I don't know. I've never had one drink while I was on stand but I imagine they do.

Comment

I don't have hogs and I don't have rocks, so I use a plastic 55 gallon drum cut in half longways. I dig a shallow place for it to sit in so that it's stable. It works really good here but might not be ideal for Tom Green County.

Comment

No pigs here either but plenty of rocks!

Comment

Jason, I bought one of these off classifieds couple months ago it is the 200 gallon. http://www.oasiswildlife.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
            Jason, I bought one of these off classifieds couple months ago it is the 200 gallon. http://www.oasiswildlife.com

We just bought 2 of these from mummes inc. in Hondo, get them while you can their web site says they are not making them anymore

Comment

This

Comment

45 gallons - $80
                Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	24297455
                L 45" W 25" H 1'

Little Giant Trough-O-Matic stock tank float w/ aluminum housing. - $13

Name:	tank float.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	24297456

If you are worried about the float, just cover a small section of the tank. Kind of like what they did to this big trough.

Name:	MDGC0207.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	24297457

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396835931.150946.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	24297459

Skinny

Comment

Looks like a small house bowl skinny?

Comment

Mine has a 50 gallon trough, I have half of it covered..

Comment

Any problem with algae and being stagnant in the trough itself Damon?

Comment

Check and see if that company called Water Guzzler is still in buizz. Or maybe it was wildlife water guzzler.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Any problem with algae and being stagnant in the trough itself Damon?

It gets algae in it, but I have not had an issue with stagnant water..

275 gallon tote & trough will be empty in 3-4 weeks come summer time

Comment

I need to do this for the critters in my backyard. Looking the water tote now.

I like hogdudes, but would want a bigger trough to drink from.

Comment

Working...
                              X