DIY Arrow cutting (cheap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Arrow cutting (cheap)

To create conversation and promote the Archery Program at the Warrior Transition Unit on Fort Hood I decided to collect broken arrows and turn them into pens and give them away. Only problem is I didn't have an arrow cutter and I wasn't about to spend 150$ on one just to make a pen. So I decided to go cheep and quick and I bought a pipe cutter from the hardware store for about 7$. I though for sure if it can cut copper pipe it could cut carbon fiber right? We'll let me tell you, It worked so well I now cut all my arrows with it and I cut a lot of arrows just yesterday I cut 70 for the team and after the 3D tournaments I find a lot of potential pens.

I was asked to share this do it yourself method before anyone wasted money on cutting arrows

So this is the product you can find it at your local hardware store

Measure and mark on your arrow were you want to cut and place the pipe cutter on that mark and tighten
    NOTE: do not over tighten go just enough where it's holding itself on the arrow

Go slow and turn the a arrow shaft while holding the pipe cutter.

Make half turn increments on the tension screw and turn the arrow 3-4 times before tightening again keep doing this until your arrow is cut all the way thought.

Get some 220 grit sand paper and clean the edge that you cut
    NOTE: make sure your arrow in perfectly straight when doing it this way.

Admire your work

I have cut a wide variety of arrows big and small and it hasn't failed me yet. Before I shot my first arrow I had a pro shop inspect my work and I got the thumbs up. So if your looking for a cheap way to cut your arrows give it a try and let me know.

NOTE: Beman Arrows have a fiber glass tube and can create problems. I have cut the arrow and had to then cut the fiber glass with scissors before sanding. The outcome is the same just took longer to get their.

What about getting the threading off the end and back in? Stupid question, I'm sure. I just don't know how to do it.

Comment

I screw in a field point heat the field point over a stove flame after heating use pliers I twist shaft like I am tightening field point pulling point out cool under water and have insert

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great Idea!

Now lets see the pens you built out the arrows. Materials used?

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

It works good just be very careful and don't tighten too much at first. Can cause cracking on the shaft that you won't see.
                As long as you barely tighten the cutter and rotate a few times before making small pressure adjustments, you'll be fine.

Comment

I would very be very very careful cutting graphite shaft with anything but a high speed abrasive cutter. What will happen is you will separate the fibers and that can cause lateral failure, and it would not be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                    I would very be very very careful cutting graphite shaft with anything but a high speed abrasive cutter. What will happen is you will separate the fibers and that can cause lateral failure, and it would not be a good thing.
                    Exactly; those fibers can't be seen and it just takes one time. Some of those fibers are not being cut they are being crushed.

Comment

I couldn't believed him at first but then he showed me how to cut them and is safe and sound if you follow the steps. Thumps up to a cheap way to cut your arrows.....

Thanks for the tip....

Comment

I am going to do this!

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back to the top!

Comment

A tip on keeping the arrow straight when squaring with sandpaper. Find a bit that will drill a hole that is a tiny bit larger than the arrow shaft and drill through a block of wood. Use a drill press to make sure the hole is plumb. Lay the block on a sheet of sandpaper and insert the shaft into the hole. (needs to be a pretty snug fit) That will keep the shaft square as you slide the block back and forth on the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              A tip on keeping the arrow straight when squaring with sandpaper. Find a bit that will drill a hole that is a tiny bit larger than the arrow shaft and drill through a block of wood. Use a drill press to make sure the hole is plumb. Lay the block on a sheet of sandpaper and insert the shaft into the hole. (needs to be a pretty snug fit) That will keep the shaft square as you slide the block back and forth on the paper.
                              great idea, great tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X