Hog hunting with live decoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog hunting with live decoys

I hadn’t been to the farm in a couple of weeks, so early Saturday morning I grabbed my bow and took a walk looking for some Hogboy adventure. I was surprised to see hogs in the circle trap when I turned the corner, because it was set but not baited the last time I left there. I’ve learned from past experience to be on alert when stalking up to the trap, so I had an arrow nocked and ready to rock. Sure enough as I got closer, three pigs stood up and a fourth, that was lying next to the trap, bolted out through the tall grass.

I positioned myself behind a tree where I had a good view of both the trap and the area the hog ran into. There were 2 boars and a sow in the trap, all about 100-110 lbs. and one thing was obvious. Although in prison, the boars wanted one last wish before they died. Can you say “pork porkin?” After a few minutes the pigs started looking in the direction the other one had exited and I could see movement in the grass. I guess he didn’t like his brothers having all the fun, because soon I see a set of black ears cruising through the grass 15-18 yards away. He stops and doesn’t move, not realizing he won’t get another chance at his girlfriend.

I came to full draw and stepped out from behind the tree. He was facing the trap and I could see the top 2-3 inches of his back through the grass. I held where I thought his kill zone would be, and let it fly into the grass. Thwack, squeal, and he gets 5 yards before my arrow is standing up like a flag stick. I knew I had spined him since he dropped like a rock and I only got about 6 inches of penetration.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GaryJune08boartbh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	24733621

The autopsy revealed how lucky I was. He weighed 145 lbs and you can see his shield in the picture. The boar was quartering toward me and the ICS 400 tipped with a 100g Muzzy 3 blade entered just behind the shoulder and made a sudden stop in his backbone. It made for a nice track.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	145 boar autopsytbh.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	24733620

As for the trapped pigs, no fairy tale endings here, they died too. Dr. D came and got one Saturday evening and DJM got some pork on Sunday. Thanks guys and enjoy.

Good work, Congrats

Comment

Hogboy layin' them down......4 down a thousand more to go. Tell the rodeo story.

Comment

Very nice! I have soem euro's in a breeding pen and I will hunt over them from time to time...especially when the time is right!!!

It makes for some awesome boar action.

Comment

Congrats on the pork

Comment

Great shooting Gary.Wish I coulda made it to see you and Doc trying to lasso them pigs in the trap.Those backstraps will be on the grill this weekend.

DJ

Comment

Long Pig

Comment

great write up Gary. Good to see that some pigs are made it back around there.

Comment

congrats on the bacon!

Comment

That is a very nice hog. Way to sneak up on em!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the porker and nice recap.

Comment

Very nice. congrats.

Comment

Nice job Gary.....that's the largest nutira I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X