Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
SamHarper
Ten Point

Default A knife for my brother

Last August, bbs383ci posted this beautiful Damascus skinning knife with a snakewood handle.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=396768

I thought it was absosmurfly beautiful, and I couldn't stop looking at it, so I downloaded a picture of it and used it as a template to make one. Actually, I was going to make two of them--one for an old friend and one for my brother. I had a little trouble with heat treating and broke one of them. This is the one that survived.

It's made of 1095 steel. The handle is stabilized walnut. I used Curtis Seebeck's cactus juice to stabilize it. It worked pretty well because it was really hard to sand out all the tool marks after I shaped it.

This is my fourth knife so far and the most successful so far, too. My first two didn't get hard when I heat treated them. I'm not sure about the third one. This one worked out well, though.

I used superglue to put a finish on the handle. Oh, and I also made that pin mosaic!

bbs383ci, I hope you don't mind me copying your knife. Remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :-) I promise I'm not going to sell it. I'm just going to give it to my brother.

I'm posting two pictures in different light conditions because I'm a terrible photographer.

SamHarper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Nice!
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
meshmover67
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Virginia

looks great
meshmover67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Draco
Pope & Young

That looks great Sam.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
thorshammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack Co.

I really like the profile. Very nice sir.
thorshammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
McWebb93
Spike

Hunt In: Whitney

Pattern on the handle is super cool, good job.
McWebb93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
paintman
Ten Point

Hunt In: granger mostly

Sam that is very very nice. awesome work!!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
swgreen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Very nice good work
swgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
fjmsniper
Spike

good looking knife
fjmsniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
bladesmith
Four Point

Good job.
bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
bbs383ci
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, Texas

Been a while since I've been on here. Sam that knife with the snakewood handles was a premade blank. So it doesn't bother me even if you used a pattern I came up with if you like one and can replicate it, use it. Good looking blade by the way.
bbs383ci is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Kills-myth
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co.

Beautiful work. The handle is beautiful. I used thin ca on a balsa topwater I made a few years back. It's tough and lays on like glass. Never thought of using it on a knife handle but looks awesome.
Kills-myth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
SamHarper
Ten Point

bbs, thanks. That makes me feel much better. :-) It was just too pretty for me not to make one. I'm making another one right now out of a rasp.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #14
SamHarper
Ten Point

Here's another picture of my brother's knife with an ugly sheath I made for it. I took a class on leather carving last weekend, though, and I'm taking a class on leather stamping this Saturday. Hopefully soon I can start making prettier sheaths.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #15
Wood Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County

That is beautiful work.
Wood Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
bbs383ci
Ten Point

sam, heres how I do sheath
draw a line down the paper, put the knife on it edge up roll the knife either way which ever is comfortable to you.
Name:  IMG_3292.JPG
Views: 800
Size:  87.4 KB
trace the knife and use a ruler to mark out 1/2" from the line you just drew and connect the dots.
Name:  IMG_3293.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  94.7 KB
dots connected
Name:  IMG_3295.JPG
Views: 797
Size:  95.8 KB
now I free hand some curves to the sheath flat and straight is not pretty lol. I keep the point that I drew lined up with the finger guard, you can put it anywhere and how ever many you want.
Name:  IMG_3296.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3297.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  92.5 KB
now cut the line you just drew that's the edge of your sheath cut it as smooth as possible since this is your pattern you will trace on the leather.
Name:  IMG_3298.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  110.6 KB
if you look close you can see a few dots below the handle line of the knife these are to draw a line from the widest point of your knife to the edge of the sheath so you can slide the knife in the sheath. make sure before you cut the line you drew that you have enough room to keep the same distance from the edge for your stitching, I use 1/4" from the edge, ill show in another pic beter than what I can explain lol.
Name:  IMG_3299.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  118.3 KB
now fold your paper in half on your line and when you first draw your line press hard with the pen or knife that way when you fold it its wants to follow that line. I draw a line down the edge of the folded paper this helps me keep it lined up while I cut along the folded edge.
Name:  IMG_3300.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  119.2 KB
heres you template to trace out on your leather.
Name:  IMG_3301.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  133.8 KB
Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
bbs383ci
Ten Point

this is that line I mentioned earlier measure from the centerline to the wdiest point of the knife and put a couple dots at that width to the edge of your template connect the dots. if you follow the handle the knife will not fit.
lay this on your leather trace it out and you can cut your line on your leather or cut it a little wide and bring it to the line with a belt sander your choice.
Name:  IMG_3302.JPG
Views: 830
Size:  110.8 KB
once you have trace that template, you will need to trim about a 1/4" off the end of the welt toward the tip of the knife see next picture. if you leave it long your sheath will be twisted and it also allows water to drain out if it gets dropped in the water or your in the rain.
Name:  IMG_3303.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  115.0 KB
this is the end you trim
Name:  IMG_3304.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  181.3 KB

now a few tips: got to harbor freight and get a pair of wing dividers these are great for putting a line around the entire sheath I use this since I don't have a groover for the stitching, I set it for 1/4" wide and go around the entire knife and I also use it to set my stitch spacing I leave it a 1/4" wide and start in the corner and walk it almost to the tip of the sheath.now you have nice even spacing on your stitches with a nice border line around the sheathi also use a swivel knife on the line I drew with the dividers this makes the line deeper I do it for the whole sheath, it also helps the stitching not sit so high. just mark the side that is going to be facing out on the sheath do this before you glue it up.

don't forget to stitch your belt loop up before you glue it up, that's a pain in the butt I have done it several times.

also before you glue it up get you one of those nylon edge slicker I think texas knife has them take a 1/4 bolt about 3" long and run it through the slicker and out a nut on top of it to lock it down now you can use it on your drill press, no the top edge of your sheath where the knife goes into it at use this tool to burnish this edge before you glue it up, it helps to have an edge beveler, bevel the edges first inside and out before you burnish. do not bevel the edges of the sheath that the stitching will be on you will be sanding this and you can use the sander to bevel them. now glue the welt in and close the sheath up. now you are ready to drill, don't use a drill bit go to walmart in the sewing section they have what is called doll needles I think it is they are big its a pack of 5 needles use the biggest needle to drill your holes, a drill tears leather this needle will punch a nice hole a burnish it at the same time. now stitch it up and if its not dyed dip in neats foot oil and hang to dry.

this is the end result, my first ones were terrible, takes practice, take your time and think about everything otherwise you will forget to do something. it may help to draw out what you want to do on your pattern then copy it to your leather.
Name:  IMG_7615.JPG
Views: 824
Size:  184.8 KB

let me know if I can help, hope I haven't confused you.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #18
Kevin Smith
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbs383ci View Post
this is that line I mentioned earlier measure from the centerline to the wdiest point of the knife and put a couple dots at that width to the edge of your template connect the dots. if you follow the handle the knife will not fit.
lay this on your leather trace it out and you can cut your line on your leather or cut it a little wide and bring it to the line with a belt sander your choice.
Attachment 635538
once you have trace that template, you will need to trim about a 1/4" off the end of the welt toward the tip of the knife see next picture. if you leave it long your sheath will be twisted and it also allows water to drain out if it gets dropped in the water or your in the rain.
Attachment 635539
this is the end you trim
Attachment 635540

now a few tips: got to harbor freight and get a pair of wing dividers these are great for putting a line around the entire sheath I use this since I don't have a groover for the stitching, I set it for 1/4" wide and go around the entire knife and I also use it to set my stitch spacing I leave it a 1/4" wide and start in the corner and walk it almost to the tip of the sheath.now you have nice even spacing on your stitches with a nice border line around the sheathi also use a swivel knife on the line I drew with the dividers this makes the line deeper I do it for the whole sheath, it also helps the stitching not sit so high. just mark the side that is going to be facing out on the sheath do this before you glue it up.

don't forget to stitch your belt loop up before you glue it up, that's a pain in the butt I have done it several times.

also before you glue it up get you one of those nylon edge slicker I think texas knife has them take a 1/4 bolt about 3" long and run it through the slicker and out a nut on top of it to lock it down now you can use it on your drill press, no the top edge of your sheath where the knife goes into it at use this tool to burnish this edge before you glue it up, it helps to have an edge beveler, bevel the edges first inside and out before you burnish. do not bevel the edges of the sheath that the stitching will be on you will be sanding this and you can use the sander to bevel them. now glue the welt in and close the sheath up. now you are ready to drill, don't use a drill bit go to walmart in the sewing section they have what is called doll needles I think it is they are big its a pack of 5 needles use the biggest needle to drill your holes, a drill tears leather this needle will punch a nice hole a burnish it at the same time. now stitch it up and if its not dyed dip in neats foot oil and hang to dry.

this is the end result, my first ones were terrible, takes practice, take your time and think about everything otherwise you will forget to do something. it may help to draw out what you want to do on your pattern then copy it to your leather.
Attachment 635542

let me know if I can help, hope I haven't confused you.
that's a great post, thanks for sharing.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #19
bbs383ci
Ten Point

more than welcome
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
SamHarper
Ten Point

That is an awesome little tutorial, bbs383ci. Thank you very much!

Would you mind posting a picture of your wing dividers? I have no idea what that is. Also, what will it be near at Harbor Freight?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #21
bbs383ci
Ten Point

here ya go
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

That's great stuff!

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #23
LEGION
Six Point

Hunt In: Louisiana and Texas

Very nice
LEGION is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #24
panch0
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: STX

Heck of a nice job on this.
panch0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #25
thorshammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack Co.

Just saw this for the first time. Great work OP. I really like the handle.
thorshammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top