Tri-pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-pods

Berandel, this is for you and anyone else that wants a design for a good tripod. I copied this from one I sat in, that I think, David Bernard had built for Dan Lansford. After hunting in it, I knew I had to have one. It worked so good that I have seven of them. The seat is my idea and I think it's worth making as the deer can see right through it when you are not in the stand and it doesn't show up like a plastic one when you first put it up.

The seat is formed of 3/8" rebar with small mesh expanded metal on it. The swivel is a 3/4" all-thread coupler. It threads onto a piece of all-thread rod on the head of the tri pod.

The head is formed of 1/2" rebar with expanded metal on it. The slip in portion of the legs on the head are 20" long, 1 1/2" EMT and the legs themselves are 1 1/4" EMT[electrical metal tubing]. The steps are 1/2" cold rolled round rod, and go through the legs. I highly recommend making little welded bumps on the top of the steps for traction. Large washers have been welded to the bottom of the legs to keep the legs from sinkin in the ground.

It seems like every one that hunts out of one of these stands must have one. Although I dont sell them, I help friends build them in my shop. There is at least a dozen that are to be built this year. They are fairly light and can be carried assembled for quite a ways if you find your in the wrong place. If you are going further, you can tape the legs together, carry them over one shoulder and carry the head over the other shoulder. I have carried them a long ways like that.
    Attached Files

Very nice, how much does it cost to make one.

Comment

Tri-pod seat to ground seat.

I also use the same seat for ground blinds when using natural materials as the deer can see right through it when I'm not in it. You need to remember that you will see right through it as well so the stand can be hard to find for you or a buddy if the stand is not marked.

The legs are bent out of 3/8" rebar and welded to a piece of 3/4" allthread rod.
      Attached Files

Comment

gh68, it's better if you build several because the expanded metal comes in 4'X8' sheets, although it can be scrounged. Also one piece of the 1 1/2" EMT will build two tri-pods. Rebar is cheap but can be scrounged as well. So it's hard to say.

Comment

i really like the design!!!!

Comment

Nice design, Draco. I think I will attempt it when I learn to use my welder. Do you know what angle you used for the legs coming off the seat platform? Also, can a 250 lb guy stand up on the platform?

Thanks for posting.
            Last edited by Burnadell; 06-21-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

The angle is about 22 degrees, and yes you can stand up on it. But be careful. I have had to jump off a couple, you know, just to keep from falling. Good thing I dont hunt too high.

Comment

Very nice!! What is the base plate that the legs slide into? I know you said it was an all thread coupler, but what is that?

Comment

You cut a 6" circle for the top and 20" pieces of 1 1/2" EMT weld to the circle. Thats what the legs slide into. The 3/4" all-thread rod is welded on top and the seat screws on it so it will swivel. The seat is welded to a all-thread coupler. Couplers are like a really tall nut so you can screw two pieces of all thread rod together. Electricians use it to hang things in ceilings.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Great Job!

Comment

Nice DIY

Comment

nice stand

Comment

EMT seems like it would be too weak to hold up a big hunk of 250lb meat like me.* How big a boy are ya?* What about using rigid conduit instead? It would make it less portable, but keep me from falling over without cross supports on the legs. Great design. What about a build along on your next one. These would be great on my hunting property.

Comment

badkarma, if the legs are vertical enough then the strength is good. Angle on legs is 22 degrees. My best hunting buddy goes over 300# and no problems but the climbing leg on his does get a little bit of a permanent bow in it. Every time he sets up he turns the leg with the bow up. He's big but he moves through the woods like a ghost.

Comment

Working...
                              X